Model Cars Magazine Forum

new for 2018

Bert

I'm personally not a fan of the resin "detail" set because that huge front brush bumper jungle gym is all one piece which curbsides a full detail kit. 

As for popularity in Asia, there was an article I read a few months back that Bob Lutz and some other people had managed to figure out there were something like 28 H1 bodies in white (for a lack of a better term), along with corresponding chassis & interiors sitting around. So they were sourcing some engines out of GM, having them assembled and shipping them all to China for something like double what they sold for when they were in production as some amalgamation of letters and numbers since they can't legally call them Hummer H1s. They can't sell them in the U.S. because they wouldn't pass emissions.

Edited by niteowl7710

Rest of the Revell 1QTR boxarts while we're at it... 

3KzECk5.png

22886311_2068728016474767_68480610267407

I knew the box art for Revell's '94 Impala looked familiar. It is an airbrushed tracing of David Freers photo from an article on the Callaway Impala SS in the May 1996 issue of Motor Trend. As an artist this leads to some questions.

1. Did Revell know this is not an original work?
2. If the were aware of the Photo and had rights to use it, why not simply use the photo rather than an airbrushed copy of it?
3. If an illustration was what they wanted, why not hire someone to do an original work? After all these cars aren't exactly rare, the artist could have photographed one himself to trace.

Anyone know the back story here?

By swinging the part that goes over the hood up and out of the way. Protects the hood from getting mashed down into radiator and engine. Some of the military ones are set up like that, which is probably why Meng did one. Several mid-east and se Asia forces use them plus the US use them. Note they also did a 1/35 version.

I knew the box art for Revell's '94 Impala looked familiar. It is an airbrushed tracing of David Freers photo from an article on the Callaway Impala SS in the May 1996 issue of Motor Trend. As an artist this leads to some questions.

2. If the were aware of the Photo and had rights to use it, why not simply use the photo rather than an airbrushed copy of it?
3. If an illustration was what they wanted, why not hire someone to do an original work? After all these cars aren't exactly rare, the artist could have photographed one himself to trace.

I'd suspect that the photo is altered enough to get around any copyright issues.  It's not like the photographer owns the rights to the Impala SS, staircases, and alleyways.

As an artist, stuff like this frustrates me immensely. I could make a lot more money if I just straight-up traced other people's work. Until I inevitably got busted. That's not cool at all :( I can only imagine that A: they have an overworked in-house artist who is confident with car rendering but not with backgrounds, who simply decided to copy the photo or B: they're using a super-cheap outsourced artist who doesn't have much in the way of scruples because he's not being paid enough to have any and he's in some foreign country anyway.

As an artist, stuff like this frustrates me immensely. I could make a lot more money if I just straight-up traced other people's work. Until I inevitably got busted. That's not cool at all :( I can only imagine that A: they have an overworked in-house artist who is confident with car rendering but not with backgrounds, who simply decided to copy the photo or B: they're using a super-cheap outsourced artist who doesn't have much in the way of scruples because he's not being paid enough to have any and he's in some foreign country anyway.

Or C: they reached out to the copyright holder and purchased the rights to use the image. :)

Or, as I mooted earlier, they farmed out the artwork to China along with everything else.  These recent efforts don't strike me as being done by anyone with a feel for the subject, or even much skill as an artist.  Now I'm wondering where the other box art is lifted from.

Or, as I mooted earlier, they farmed out the artwork to China along with everything else.  These recent efforts don't strike me as being done by anyone with a feel for the subject, or even much skill as an artist.  Now I'm wondering where the other box art is lifted from.

I'm not familiar with that kit in the first go round, but I can betcha those nice meaty tires aren't in there! :angry:

More reason for folks to get ticked off when what's shown isn't quite representative of what's in the box!

I'm not familiar with that kit in the first go round, but I can betcha those nice meaty tires aren't in there! :angry:

More reason for folks to get ticked off when what's shown isn't quite representative of what's in the box!

Well that, and it is a 96 that is illustrated. If they were going to airbrush the photo they could have at least illustrated the correct side mirrors for the kit.

Well that, and it is a 96 that is illustrated. If they were going to airbrush the photo they could have at least illustrated the correct side mirrors for the kit.

That is assuming someone noticed the difference.  Doubt if anyone at Revell would notice that.  

Isuzu I-Mark, wonder why they went with the sedan over the 3-door hatch?

Gemini. I-Mark was the name outside of Japan.

Making a hatchback wouldn't be that big of a deal considering how modular Hasegawa makes it's new tooling. There's a racing version in there somewhere too as they competed in the Japanese Touring Car Championships.

Gemini. I-Mark was the name outside of Japan.

Making a hatchback wouldn't be that big of a deal considering how modular Hasegawa makes it's new tooling. There's a racing version in there somewhere too as they competed in the Japanese Touring Car Championships.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've played Gran Turismo so I forgot what the Japanese name was. :P