Model Cars Magazine Forum

Site Update Complete

The site update is complete. There are a few more things to do, but they aren't vital, and I'll catch up with them later. We are now on the current version of the software, which is vital for keeping the site secure. It will be much easier to keep the site current now too. 

The appearance has changed. I tried to avoid that, but couldn't. That said, I think you'll find the site easier to read. I certainly do. But, if you're having readability problems, let me know where below. I may be able to tweak it a bit to make it more readable. 

If you run into any other problems, leave a comment on this thread. I'll be watching this thread closely. 

Thank you all for being so patient.

This isn't really a problem, but the Forum is in the old format when I'm not logged in with a message about being out of date. I tried clearing cookies, but it looks the same. Once logged in, it looks great. It may be something that administration can't see is the only reason I mention it.

Thanks for the hard work!! It looks great logged in.

4 minutes ago, High octane said:

How do I erase (delete) my Notifications and Messages so they don't pile up? Thanks.

Go to your mailbox and you can now check the conversations you wish to delete. After you click the first one a trashcan pops up in the bottom center of the screen. Click it when you are done selecting the messages.

9 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

I keep getting an option to "receive notifications from this site" from my browser...... Can I make it stop popping up? Will it interfere with me getting email about PMs?

Go to where your name is, hit account settings, then go to notifications where you can change it to not sending you notice.

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

Did the search function reset with the update? It seems no posts before the update are found using a (very general) keyword search;

I'm pretty sure the search index got cleared out. There were a lot of database changes. That index will take a while to rebuild because we have so much content on this site. In the meantime go to google and add site:www.modelcarsmag.com to your search query. 

1 hour ago, Modeltruckbuilder said:

I'm getting the same thing as well, this is the message being shown;

[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's showing on the Clean Cut 4.0.0 theme

I see that too. Have been trying to fix it without much luck. I opened a support ticket with InVision. 

1 hour ago, Modeltruckbuilder said:

I'm getting the same thing as well, this is the message being shown;

[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's showing on the Clean Cut 4.0.0 theme

I saw that message also on Safari (on both my Mac and iPhone) but it went away after logging in.  Site looks fine, haven't seen any other glitches.  

Edited by Rob Hall

So far, things seem to be working well. I know some of you don't like change. Unfortunately, that's inherent in having a computer these days. The new forum software works much better with tablets and phones. I'm going to like that. 

I'll probably declare another maintenance window some time around Christmas to tidy up the back room. It should also help reduce load times.