Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dyno Don Funny car coming next year 2018

Mr mopar

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Another Model King reissue, reissued by Round2:

I'll go out on a limb and predict the MPC(?) Bronco will also be reissued within the next 16 months. ;)

That was the AMT '78-79 Bronco.  The MPC Bronco was an '80-82.   Would be nice to see the AMT one again by itself. 

9 hours ago, iBorg said:

Curious as to the decals. I have the last reissue of the mold, the High Country Cougar. I got the Slixx decals and they chose the gold under layment for the lace which was used but I prefer the version without the lace.

01.jpg

98e5a3bcf6f768e106655b8e40e2f765.jpg

The original decals were simular to slixxs but not as good quality. (Obviously)

If someone isn't yanking out chains, it is nice to see this one back even though I have an unbuilt mint original. 

1 hour ago, mr68gts said:

If someone isn't yanking our chains

Why would they be? It makes plenty of sense. The kit was produced in 2009 for the Model King release, so not only is it physically in China at or near the mold facility, but Round2 knows it's ready to go, needing nothing but new box art and decals. Sounds like an easy business decision to me.

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That was the AMT '78-79 Bronco.  The MPC Bronco was an '80-82.   Would be nice to see the AMT one again by itself. 

Fixed. -_-

If I remember from 2009, someone showed THREE different '67-'68 Cougar bodies from MPC. They differ in the hood area. Note that the Dyno Don car has no scoop and the air intake is only in the windshield. I think the Model King kit had a scoop and a notch in the cowl. Hopefully Round 2 will have the correct body in the kit.

This was one of the first kits I built. I may have an unbuilt original. The Slixx decals were much better than the reissue. The original car had foil lettering, MPC tried to simulate it with yellows and grays. I agree about the fitment issues. I remember the one I built was aided by a lot of tube glue as filler in some parts of the chassis. While this was one of the original funny car kits, much better reproductions were made a few years later. Oh to have the Jo-Han kits commonly available!

This is very interesting! Funny Cars are challenging to build as they require bunch of scratchbuilt details under the body to make them accurate...But that's also why they are so fun to build, so I'll definitely be buying one of these when they are out. This 1st Gen Cougar has always been one of the best looking bodies from that era.

Come to think of it, it shouldn't be TOO much trouble to move the rear wheel openings back to stock on the '67 Comet funny car body, and issue it with one of their MPC first-gen Logghe frames as Eliminator II, and possibly a couple other '67 Comet funnies. I'd be good for at least two of these, maybe three or even more. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Come to think of it, it shouldn't be TOO much trouble to move the rear wheel openings back to stock on the '67 Comet funny car body, and issue it with one of their MPC first-gen Logghe frames as Eliminator II, and possibly a couple other '67 Comet funnies. I'd be good for at least two of these, maybe three or even more. 

You mean like this?

67 comet.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

I seem to remember reading from numerous sites. these Cougar kits are REALLY tough to build and will require quite a bit of patience on the builders part to get them done without hitting a wall .

I have several ,,,, But NONE are beyond much more than simply opened the box

Which brings up the question,,,,what chassis is in the kit. I have a Kenz/Leslie car handy and it sure looks like this

dyno-don.jpg

dynodonpic.jpg

Edited by gtx6970