Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next ICM 1/24 Model T

niteowl7710

3 hours ago, alexis said:

As long as the tires are not the 'all-white' that they used, I'm for one of these,

They are correct for the period.  The black tires we're familiar with were just starting to come on the market, and it did take a few years fr them to catch on.

This looks promising.   About as traditional a hot rod as you can get.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

They are correct for the period.  The black tires we're familiar with were just starting to come on the market, and it did take a few years fr them to catch on.

This looks promising.   About as traditional a hot rod as you can get.

Actually, gray would be more appropriate for the period though most of us prefer the white tires now.

I was hoping they would retool the fenders for an open runabout or torpedo but I will be happy with this one anyway. I agree, the early T was where hot-rodding started. I will be purchasing at least one of these.

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

They are correct for the period.  The black tires we're familiar with were just starting to come on the market,

Then again, I did some searching on the web and this one came up. It is not all that different from the 1913 ICM one, but as the story goes it was built in the early fifties in Minnesota. Old timers who remember it refer to it as an "early hot rod". I do not know much about model T speedsters other than that Henry didn't build them. They were built by individuals by means of deleting parts and changing parts, with the support of a growing aftermarket business. So,- if the one pictured is of early fifties vintage (the frame is 1914) then that would be deep into black tyre territory. I've also found images of nice shiny restored ones with whitewall tires on them. I guess anything goes, and nothing is really wrong tyre color with this kit. I personally hope for whitewalls.

IMG_0910.JPG

Read the current owner's writeup here; http://www.jakesgeneralstore.com/node/2318

On 12/27/2017 at 9:17 AM, alexis said:

As long as the tires are not the 'all-white' that they used, I'm for one of these,

Actually, the "white" tires are more period-correct than black for these ICM Model T's.  From the beginnings of rubber tires in the 1880's or so, until about 1915, automobile tires (made from natural latex rubber) were a "buff color", due to the latex rubber and that the idea of adding carbon black to the rubber compound had not yet been thought up.  Pure white is not correct, either, as that would have meant adding a white pigment to the rubber back in the day--in period photographs, the tires look white, due to the still primitive camera's of the day, as well as the rather primitive black & white film and developing techniques.  For the "buff" color I mention--look at any high-end lightweight bicycle tire--the light tan or buff sidewalls.  That is a much more correct look.

Art

4 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

The car i posted is a 1911 Open Runabout (not to be confused with a Torpedo Runabout, which has doors), a Ford factory bodied car. Pretty racy coming from Ford, eh?

And, in its day, the tires would have been a buff color, definitely not black with whitewalls.

Well, yes and no. They were almost certainly all gray. Unfortunately gray is not  widely available from tje three major suppliers of tires for brass eta cars, (Coker, Lester or Universal) so the cars we see now almost all have solid white, or they have a buff color that the tires acquire as they age. Coker offered the 30 X 3 (fronts) and 30 X 3 1/2 (rears) in gray for a very short time but there were not many takers at $500 per tire plus $150 per tube.

A local T collector did buy two sets of the gray tires. One of the cars wearing a set was an 11 Commercial Roadster (blue over black fenders with gray stripes) which went on to win Stynoski and the AACA Ford Award. The other set is on an 11 Torpedo Runabout he owns which is currently being restored with the notion of setting a new authenticity standard. Us Model T guys who are fans of the brass era can't wait to see the completed car. While the car is well known it has been kept pretty well under wraps until it hits the show circuit. 

Having seen just a few cars shod with gray tires I was struck by just how "right" the cars looked with them in place. This was particularly true in the case of cars done in their factory correct colors.

This is more than anyone wanted to know, but that's the answer as I know it best. And of course Art is corrrect, no whitewall tires on any of the 11-13 era Fords. 

10 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

Well, yes and no. They were almost certainly all gray. Unfortunately gray is not  widely available from tje three major suppliers of tires for brass eta cars, (Coker, Lester or Universal) so the cars we see now almost all have solid white, or they have a buff color that the tires acquire as they age. Coker offered the 30 X 3 (fronts) and 30 X 3 1/2 (rears) in gray for a very short time but there were not many takers at $500 per tire plus $150 per tube.

A local T collector did buy two sets of the gray tires. One of the cars wearing a set was an 11 Commercial Roadster (blue over black fenders with gray stripes) which went on to win Stynoski and the AACA Ford Award. The other set is on an 11 Torpedo Runabout he owns which is currently being restored with the notion of setting a new authenticity standard. Us Model T guys who are fans of the brass era can't wait to see the completed car. While the car is well known it has been kept pretty well under wraps until it hits the show circuit. 

Having seen just a few cars shod with gray tires I was struck by just how "right" the cars looked with them in place. This was particularly true in the case of cars done in their factory correct colors.

This is more than anyone wanted to know, but that's the answer as I know it best. And of course Art is corrrect, no whitewall tires on any of the 11-13 era Fords. 

What would be the best way to color the white tires to a more realistic look?  I've built a couple of these now and the stark white tires just don't look right to me.  I'm thinking a "buff" acrylic of some kind but leery of cracking on the tires.

On 12/29/2017 at 8:21 AM, bbowser said:

What would be the best way to color the white tires to a more realistic look?  I've built a couple of these now and the stark white tires just don't look right to me.  I'm thinking a "buff" acrylic of some kind but leery of cracking on the tires.

White is what most folks think those tires were, due to the primitive camera's and black & white photography.  Over the years, I have seen REAL vintage tires of that era, and despite their obvious rot (those tires were made with natural latex rubber, without any carbon black added (that didn't come into play until about 1914, they were a buff (yellowish tan, like the sidewalls of high end racing bicycle tires) back in the early days of the automobile.  i used a buff-colored cartoonist shading marker on the tires of my '13 T, will be looking to see what I can find at Michael's or Hobby Lobby to do that again, as the college bookstore I got the shading pen a couple of years back has dropped that line.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:42 AM, Eric Macleod said:

I built one and simply painted them primer gray with a very small amount of black detail paint around the rim which looks good if you are doing gray tires. As for white tires Art Anderson did one with very realistic looking aging of the white tires. I defer to his expertise.

You've seen my '13 T, I know!