Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opel GT, 1/25, AMT (Round2)

Matt Bacon

I've wanted one of these for a while, but they've always seemed rather expensive. But for £17 at Scale Model World, how could I resist? It's such a cool-looking car, even if the performance wasn't so hot. It's only when you get it in the display cabinet that you realise how small it is compared to say, a Miura or Daytona... The kit comes with three engine options, but I wanted to use the Opel straight-4 as in the real thing.

gt-low-front-left-quarter-her0-2.jpg

gt-low-front-right-quarter.jpg

gt-low-right-rear.jpg

gt-low-rear-left-quarter-aggressive.jpg

gt-low-front-left-view.jpg

gt-left-profile.jpg

gt-high-rear-left-quarter.jpg

high-front-left.jpg

gt-very-high-left-bonnet-open.jpg

gt-high-front-right-bonnet-open.jpg

gt-left-side-front-hero.jpg

Paintwork is a Zero 2K "Giallo Fly" intended for Ferraris, but also good for 80s Lancias, and close enough for this baby. There are a bunch of pimping options, with different hoods, suspension, roll cage, grille, wheels and tyres, but I think it looks pretty good made the way nature intended. I opened out thenose vents, and followed Harry P's suggestions for the tail lights, which as moulded are too big and in the wrong place. These are the kit parts in coloured red plastic, sawn off, and placed on a filled and smoothed rear panel, surrounded using 7mm "slip rings" from the jewellery aisle at the local Hobbycraft.

It's not a £40 kit, but for £17, it's a steal...

best,

M.

Nice work, Matt.  That's how I remember them back in the day.  My buddy Chuck was an Opel mechanic and he had an immaculate red '70 GT.  He always took offense to the baby Corvette nickname; he referred to C3 Corvettes as "big plastic Opels".  He also used to say that OPEL stood for "Old Parts, Expensive Labor".  :D

Thanks very much, guys. It's a nice little kit, especially at a bargain price! Now I just have to figure out what to do with the spare Buick V6 I have kicking around. I have some build photos which got a bit overlooked in the rush to TRY and get it done by Dec 31st. Now I have a little more time, I'll post up a WiP next weekend, which may help a few other people building one...

BTW, as for putting a V8 in it, this is a great example of how building a kit helps you understand the real thing a bit better. Without scale, it's hard to see how small this thing is: it's 2/3 the size of a Corvette, at most. I have a spare Cobra V8 sitting around, which occupies about 1 cubic inch or so. You'd completely fill the engine bay, and have to knock out some chunks of the wheel arches. The transmission would fill all the space under the firewall and require a much bigger tunnel in the cockpit. Even then, unlike this, where the fore-and-aft balance looks quite nice with the engine block behind the front axle and the people in the middle of the wheelbase, you'd end up with the engine sitting right over the front suspension. It's a neet reet peteet fun car, which would only be crippled by a big iron mill at the front!

All the best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

I had a 1:1 of this - 1970 version and in this color! Mine had alloy slotted wheels. It was a great car to drive, very well balanced as it was a true front mid-engined design. The engine was behind the front axle and the fuel tank was in front of the rear axle and it was fun on the street as the engine revved freely and you could flog it through the gears without getting into trouble. Handling was very nice. Nice job on your model - brings back great memories! Congrats and thanks for sharing!