Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Mercury Cougar XR7 GT

echoxrayniner

I accidentally stumbled upon a bid for a AMT '68 Cougar, from France of all places. God this was such a solid kit of one of the prettiest friggin' muscle cars of the late sixties, especially given it's friggin' 50 years old. Used Keith Marks' decals and sprayed it in Race Blue, a Skoda paint(I know, but its just so puuuurty). Put a '70 Ford Torino 429CJ in there, the stock engine had gotten some warping and it wasn't quite as detailed as I'd hoped compared to the body and had to replace the tires as they had shrunk and some decay and had no suitable tires in the spare parts pile besides the gargantuan pad-printed AMT tires.

1968mercurycougarxr7-13.jpg
1968mercurycougarxr7-12.jpg
1968mercurycougarxr7-17.jpg
1968mercurycougarxr7-14.jpg1968mercurycougarxr7-16.jpg

Edited by echoxrayniner

Your detailing is amazing.

I had a 67 Cougar when in HS in 71. Base Cougar , 289 2 barrel with 3 speed. Changed it out to a 4 speed. Quick for what it was.

Of all the cars that I've owned  that Cougar ( sold it buy the Duster) and my 73 340 4 speed Duster were my favorites

Great to see your very well done early Cougar which has always been a favorite of mine. I have an R&D Unique body which eventually become a Trans-Am. I remember seeing a new British Racing Green GT and was impressed how Jag-like the interior was with the "wood" dash, lots of gauges and even toggle switches.

Beautiful Cougar.

LoveFordGalaxie...I have a 1961 Ford F100 with a 1970 Cougar 428 Cobra Jet engine, that I pulled out of the original Cougar that had been crashed. The original paint on the engine in this model is not Ford engine blue. It's Mercury engine blue. Same as on my 428 CJ. That's why it is light blue.

Here is my AMT '68 cougar. It's built as an SCCA A/Sedan road race car (same as SCCA Trans Am). I built my model in 1968.

Cougar68_TransAm_68Build_RP_01_0819_800x450.jpg