Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Just A Car Guy" Blog

Have any of you actually looked at this blog?

I have it keyed up on my favorites and visit often. I find it very inspiring for build ideas.

I thought i would pass it along so others may enjoy it also.

There are so many different facts,stories, ideas, articles about cars that you wont find on your own.

But i can see that many of you are very busy doing so many things that would keep you away from this, more things than any of the rest of us have in our lives.

I 'm sorry if my flowery prose set you off.

I try to spice up the threads I post to garner interest in this site with things I feel might be of interest to modelers, collectors, and, dare i say, "Car Guys".

Guess I forgot so many car guys can be brand conscious, with tunnel vision, only looking at the ONE thing THEY are interested in.

There's more out there than that ONE thing that turns YOUR crank. Open your eyes, look around.  

Learning-book-933280.jpg

There are countless automotive forums and blogs out there, catering to different interests and niches.  Hadn't heard of this one, will check it out.   There are a number out there I've frequented for years--Autoblog, Jalopnik, Autoextremist, Allpar, Cheers & Gears, Hemmings, Jeep Forum. 

As far as looking at a particular site every day, I suppose Autoblog, Cheers & Gears and Jalopnik might fall in that category for me..but I get email updates/notifications for many, so I might click on them every day.  Unless you are retired and bored out of your mind, most people have lives, families, jobs, lots of other interests, etc to keep them busy, so reading hobby interest content gets only a small percentage of their time per week....  

Edited by Rob Hall

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Have any of you actually looked at this blog?

I have it keyed up on my favorites and visit often. I find it very inspiring for build ideas.

I thought i would pass it along so others may enjoy it also.  

I enjoyed looking at it.... and also bookmarked it

Thanks for sharing...!!!        People get soo defensive around here..;)

2 minutes ago, D. Battista said:

...People get soo defensive around here..;)

Much as I like Greg and the site he recommended, I think his statement that "If you ain't looking at this guys blog http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/  every day you ain't a car guy in my book" might be pushing it a little bit.

I make my living building high-end one-of-a-kind cars, but I hardly EVER look at the blog referenced.

Not defensive, just fact.  B)

Thanks for the big and sincere compliment Greg! But look how fast you insulted everyone, by questioning their ego and commitment to car stuff. I'd delete the whole thing and start over. 

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and it's more than a compliment to have somehow inspired a level of appreciation that causes anyone to blurt out a "holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH you have to look" phrase like that! 

Unfortunately, they'll instinctively and reflexively resist your attempt because they were insulted unintentionally. 

If anyone pops over to see what the world is so amazing that would cause you to be that enthusiastic, I think they'll at the least find that their time was not wasted, and at best, see that I post with such variety that in a matter of minutes they will find something they like that they won't find anywhere else, added to the rest of the stuff I share, like it's a place for all the cool stuff with wheels that anyone could hope to find all in one place. 

I found that someone in Phoenix and someone from Sweden popped over to see what you were talking about, so, hey, you did get a couple people curious! 

I'm Just A Car Guy, and no, there's not a checklist or requirements. There is a boy scout badge though... http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-requirements-for-boy-scouts.html and that's just one example of why some people really like my blog. I post everything that has anything to do with cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes, atvs, planes, trains, rvs and campers, trailers, trucking, and what ever seems interesting, informative, and cool. But mostly, whatever I find that's amusing, funny, or impressive.. and frequently innovative that's been done by car customizers, builders, painters, hot rodders, dry lakes racers, artists, and sometimes musicians... as who can question the huge amount of car culture funded by Billy Gibbons and James Hetfield? 

Mostly my blog is my wasting time, and it's mostly enjoyed by people with some time to kill who are looking for something to enjoy while getting coffee and donuts, or break time at work. 

Apologies for the jab that wasn't intentionally out to insult you guys... but seriously, how can anyone be unimpressed by that much inspired enthusiasm? I'm blown away myself! 

As for the blogs Rob mentioned, Jalopnik, Hemmings, Allpar, Autoblog, etc... they all earned their respect, but, they all focused on a thing that either keeps you interested, or you find is not your thing, and you never waste time going back to see more new car reviews, boring photos of downtowns that simply had nothing to show, or only want to tell you about the McLarens, Tesla, and Porsches. 

I've just shared whatever I've been amazed by, or thought other people would be amazed by... like the stories of Bob Hirohata, Donnie Dunagan, and Kazimierz Piechowski. You've heard of the Hirohata Merc, right? Bob Hirohata was imprisoned in the Japanese internment camps, as was Larry Shinoda and Chickie Hirashima. Donnie Dunagan was a 4 year old that was acting with Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Vincent Price, and then Walt Disney decided he would be the perfect kid to model for, and voice, the young fawn Bambi, and after that Donnie went on to be the youngest Marine Corps DI ever, fought and was wounded a couple times in the Tet Offensive, taught Marine officers military law and combat skills, retired as a major, then had his retirement taken by investing in Enron. Kazimierz Piechowski was an eagle scout, in Poland when the Nazi's took over, and made him one of the first prisoners of Auschwitz. He was lucky to live long enough to plan an escape, and he and a couple buddies stole some uniforms, and the wardens car, and drove out the front gate, cursing the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH guard to open the last gate! Those aren't hardcore car guy stories, no, but, the Hirohata Merc changed hot rodding, the kid who voiced Bambi had a 1937 Hunt House Trailer, rare as hens teeth, and the Aushwitz prisoner? Balls of titanium and guts to steal the wardens car, zeigheiling his way out the front gate to freedom. 

If you're even vaguely interested, a moment looking at this selection of awesome stuff will probably be time well spent http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/search/label/awesome 

8 hours ago, justacarguy said:

Thanks for the big and sincere compliment Greg! But look how fast you insulted everyone, by questioning their ego and commitment to car stuff. I'd delete the whole thing and start over. 

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and it's more than a compliment to have somehow inspired a level of appreciation that causes anyone to blurt out a "holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH you have to look" phrase like that! 

Unfortunately, they'll instinctively and reflexively resist your attempt because they were insulted unintentionally. 

If anyone pops over to see what the world is so amazing that would cause you to be that enthusiastic, I think they'll at the least find that their time was not wasted, and at best, see that I post with such variety that in a matter of minutes they will find something they like that they won't find anywhere else, added to the rest of the stuff I share, like it's a place for all the cool stuff with wheels that anyone could hope to find all in one place. 

I found that someone in Phoenix and someone from Sweden popped over to see what you were talking about, so, hey, you did get a couple people curious! 

I'm Just A Car Guy, and no, there's not a checklist or requirements. There is a boy scout badge though... http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-requirements-for-boy-scouts.html and that's just one example of why some people really like my blog. I post everything that has anything to do with cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes, atvs, planes, trains, rvs and campers, trailers, trucking, and what ever seems interesting, informative, and cool. But mostly, whatever I find that's amusing, funny, or impressive.. and frequently innovative that's been done by car customizers, builders, painters, hot rodders, dry lakes racers, artists, and sometimes musicians... as who can question the huge amount of car culture funded by Billy Gibbons and James Hetfield? 

Mostly my blog is my wasting time, and it's mostly enjoyed by people with some time to kill who are looking for something to enjoy while getting coffee and donuts, or break time at work. 

Apologies for the jab that wasn't intentionally out to insult you guys... but seriously, how can anyone be unimpressed by that much inspired enthusiasm? I'm blown away myself! 

As for the blogs Rob mentioned, Jalopnik, Hemmings, Allpar, Autoblog, etc... they all earned their respect, but, they all focused on a thing that either keeps you interested, or you find is not your thing, and you never waste time going back to see more new car reviews, boring photos of downtowns that simply had nothing to show, or only want to tell you about the McLarens, Tesla, and Porsches. 

I've just shared whatever I've been amazed by, or thought other people would be amazed by... like the stories of Bob Hirohata, Donnie Dunagan, and Kazimierz Piechowski. You've heard of the Hirohata Merc, right? Bob Hirohata was imprisoned in the Japanese internment camps, as was Larry Shinoda and Chickie Hirashima. Donnie Dunagan was a 4 year old that was acting with Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Vincent Price, and then Walt Disney decided he would be the perfect kid to model for, and voice, the young fawn Bambi, and after that Donnie went on to be the youngest Marine Corps DI ever, fought and was wounded a couple times in the Tet Offensive, taught Marine officers military law and combat skills, retired as a major, then had his retirement taken by investing in Enron. Kazimierz Piechowski was an eagle scout, in Poland when the Nazi's took over, and made him one of the first prisoners of Auschwitz. He was lucky to live long enough to plan an escape, and he and a couple buddies stole some uniforms, and the wardens car, and drove out the front gate, cursing the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH guard to open the last gate! Those aren't hardcore car guy stories, no, but, the Hirohata Merc changed hot rodding, the kid who voiced Bambi had a 1937 Hunt House Trailer, rare as hens teeth, and the Aushwitz prisoner? Balls of titanium and guts to steal the wardens car, zeigheiling his way out the front gate to freedom. 

If you're even vaguely interested, a moment looking at this selection of awesome stuff will probably be time well spent http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/search/label/awesome 

Wake me when your through. I don't know if I have the attention span to read something as long as what I'm seeing above. Skimming it, I'm not sure where your going with it. That said, I may have check out your site sometime. For I tend to like most things Greg posts here. 

Edited by unclescott58

"Waking when your through" I don't know if you mean "waiting until you're through" but it's a courteous reply. I don't care what you're attention span is, a little or a lot, as you'll either dig it, and see how much there is (32,000 posts, 11 years worth, nothing duplicated) or realize that like the note above, there's no way to see where I'm going with it either.  Doesn't matter, C'est la vie 

Just wanted to comment that I've popped over to "Just a Car Guy" occasionally for many years now. It's an absolute cornucopia of cool stuff, and worth a visit for any inquisitive human who likes vehicles, history, cool photos, and interesting factoids.  Every so often the topic drifts out of my circle of interest...but I'm a junkie for the stuff, so I can always find something engrossing there.

For the skeptical, here's a brief model-related link for ya, on the topic of the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild:

http://justacarguy.blogspot.ca/2015/04/a-rare-event-is-coming-up-models-from.html

While we're on the blog subject, for those of you who are very visual people, I have to mention the "Le Container" blog...motorcycles, hot rods, machinery, modernist architecture, minimalist art...I've found all kinds of modeling inspiration there. Even just a few minutes absorbing the images and cool ideas start to germinate...

http://lecontainer.blogspot.ca/

Edited by Spex84

3 hours ago, justacarguy said:

"Waking when your through" I don't know if you mean "waiting until you're through" but it's a courteous reply. I don't care what you're attention span is, a little or a lot, as you'll either dig it, and see how much there is (32,000 posts, 11 years worth, nothing duplicated) or realize that like the note above, there's no way to see where I'm going with it either.  Doesn't matter, C'est la vie 

I edited my mistake. It was supposed to read "Wake me when your through."