Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car shows on the tube

Restoration Garage always gets my view time. Very little drama, none of the stupidity of numerous other car shows, and some pretty awesome machines... The Guild is a real-life, world-class facility that I would have LOVED to work at in my younger days. :)

Since cord cutting and moving last year, I haven't watched much besides The Grand Tour and Top Gear.   I need to catch up on Wheeler Dealers (haven't seen it since Edd left).   There is a lot of content on YouTube that I like, such as the short films from Petrolicious and The Drive.

Edited by Rob Hall

I like Graveyard Carz for the education on Mopars, could do without the antics of the owner. I like how the cars are restored to day one and not all customized.

I also like Bitchin' Rides as I think they crank out some really nice customs with minimal drama. This contradicts my statement above, but you asked!

Also like the helping someone out aspect of Garage Squad. Some drama there, but a lot of the action takes place in my home state of Illinois, so I try to look around for familiar areas. And they tend to be budget minded and not about the $250k custom builds.

Restoration Garage for it's variety of vehicles, nothing boring there!

Finally, Iron Resurection because of Joe's wife Amanda.

52 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Since cord cutting and moving last year, I haven't watched much besides The Grand Tour and Top Gear.   I need to catch up on Wheeler Dealers (haven't seen it since Edd left).   There is a lot of content on YouTube that I like, such as the short films from Petrolicious and The Drive.

I think Ed made the show. new guy is ok

I watch Counting Cars every now and then. Danny and his crew seem like pretty cool guys except for that horny-head maniac. 

I wouldn't let the Gas Monkeys change my oil. Does that Richard guy have any actual automotive talent or skill besides being able to lay donuts in his own parking lot?

For some reason the Street Outlaws fascinate me. I've never made the effort to watch a full episode beginning to end, but sometimes they're on at my naptime and they're great to fall asleep to. I don't know why. I wonder what kind of times they'd turn on an actual dragstrip--7s, I'd guess, maybe some of them in the 6s? I don't know why they don't get a Christmas Tree and some breakout lights. Seems like that would end all the starting line arguments. Or maybe those arguments are the point of the show, I dunno. 

Most of the car shows loose "the thing" in the long run and the focus in most the shows leans more to be about the arguments, fuss and other things non car related  than about cars and car building wich is what I'm interested in.
But my favourites are:

Chasing Classic Cars
Graveyard Cars, the show got a lot better since Darren left
Wheeler Dealers, before they moved the show to the US, now it's more like any other US made car show and it has lost some of it's soul.
Counting Cars, well it's not that much about building cars but the program is decent except for the "music video style" camera work.
Jay Leno's Garage

Edited by Force

Chasing Classic Cars, though I always end up hating Wayne Carini just a little bit.  :-)  Well, OK, envying.  Really loved the show where they pulled an immaculate, unrestored Hudson Hornet out of a barn.  The owners were longtime family friends of Carini, IIRC.

Jay Leno, to see what he'll do next.  If your summer vacation takes you to the Los Angeles area, make sure you hit Autobooks in Burbank on a Saturday morning.  You might run into Jay Leno and one of his cars.  I was there once when he pulled up in the Baker Electric.  He instantly drew a crowd and was very gracious in giving autographs and talking about the car, etc.

Watched the whole season of the new Wheeler Dealers.  Tolerable, but Edd China is sorely missed.  I felt kind of sorry for the new mechanic, who had a big pair of work boots to fill.

And in some perverse way, I actually sort of miss the worst and most fake car show ever, "Desert Car Kings."  I also liked seeing what those boneheads would do next, even though it usually made me cringe.  I'll never forget their "restoration" of a '62 Ford Galaxie.  They shoe-horned the interior from a '64 Ford into it.  They also pulled the original 292 engine and replaced it with some rusty boat anchor they found in one of their junk piles.

21 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I like Graveyard Carz for the education on Mopars, could do without the antics of the owner. I like how the cars are restored to day one and not all customized.

I also like Bitchin' Rides as I think they crank out some really nice customs with minimal drama. This contradicts my statement above, but you asked!

Also like the helping someone out aspect of Garage Squad. Some drama there, but a lot of the action takes place in my home state of Illinois, so I try to look around for familiar areas. And they tend to be budget minded and not about the $250k custom builds.

Restoration Garage for it's variety of vehicles, nothing boring there!

Finally, Iron Resurection because of Joe's wife Amanda.

We're on the same page Mike, except I like IR because of the detail they go into their builds, the hows & whys.

GC I can't watch though. Just can't.

What's My Car Worth, Chasing Classic Cars, Fantom Works, Graveyard Cars(post Darrin) and Bitchin Rides, My Classic Car sometimes Garage Squad and whatever auctions they show. When a show's capsule description begins with "The guys" I tune away immediately rather then get hit with shovels full of goofy antics, drama and posing but that's just me.

Edited by FordRodnKustom

I enjoy Bitchin' Rides and Iron Resurection. Down to earth owners and crew on both, and beautiful builds. And they have personality without drama, that's the key for me.

I think Speed is the New Black has some potential too. I've only seen a couple episodes, but it seems pretty good.

And of course, Chasing Classic Cars. My favorite is when he has Moal Coachbulders design and build a hot rod for him. I don't care for some of the details on the actual car, but it was cool to watch the process and see all the artwork on the tables when they were going through design choices. Moal Coachbuilders are amazing craftsmen.

Getting to hate the inane scripted antics of the tattooed meatheads on some of these shows.   I liked the skills the bearded mechanic Aaron on Fast and Loud brought to the show but the host Rawlings was really annoying. Danny on Counting Cars is a likable character but some of his crew...particularly that Horny Mike dude was a bit much. I like Dave Kindig's style & skill sets on Bitchin Rides but even they resort to scripted antics. The plot lines of Wheeler Dealers I found enjoyable but I miss the quiet dignity of Ed China...it was a good counterpoint to the host's gregariousness. The new mechanic Ant Anstead is filling in OK though. As for Garage Squad...I like the host Bruno Massel and his mechanic...but the real reason I watch is Heather Storm...Id watch her polish furniture for an hour.

Edited by styromaniac

3 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Getting to hate the inane scripted antics of the tattooed meatheads on some of these shows.   I liked the skills the bearded mechanic Aaron on Fast and Loud brought to the show but the host Rawlings was really annoying. Danny on Counting Cars is a likable character but the his crew...particularly that Horny Mike dude was a bit much. I like Dave Kindig's style & skill sets on Bitchin Rides but even they resort to scripted antics. The plot lines of Wheeler Dealers I found enjoyable but I miss the quiet dignity of Ed China...it was a good counterpoint to the host's gregariousness. The new mechanic Ant Anstead is filling in OK though. As for Garage Squad...I like the host Bruno Massel and his mechanic...but the real reason I watch is Heather Storm...Id watch her polish furniture for an hour.

Man, you hit all eight cylinders Steve. The side kicks don't add anything to these shows. The other distraction is the artificial time lines.

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Man, you hit all eight cylinders Steve. The side kicks don't add anything to these shows. The other distraction is the artificial time lines.

I guess they feel compelled to add the comic relief to attract a wider audience, but it just comes off as pretty lame to me. I wouldn't mind a little back and forth ribbing between the personalities...but one of the last Bitchin Rides I watched they set up a nerf ball gunfight...and I remember watching one Fast and Loud episode where they included some silly wild west skit...my wife turned to me and said" why are we watching this stupid show?" If I'm watching a car show involving a restoration or a customization Id like to see the process...the problems encountered and the solutions they come up with. That's why I found the Wheeler Dealers shows with Ed China both informative and entertaining.Some of the Fast and Loud episodes were equally compelling before they started adding the goofiness. I really liked Rick Dales American Restoration for its informative educational value ( much like American Pickers ) but even they wandered into almost sit com stupidity at times. 

Edited by styromaniac