Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grampa's '40 Ford.

T.Henry

Guys, I'm very happy with thith this build!!

Usually people that praise themselves are just frustrated, but this one is my very best build yet.

What I wanted was to replicate my Grandfather's car, a '40 Ford bought new in October 1939. 

I knew the car was a Standard, and that it was "kind of green", as said by my father. 

Believe you guys or not, the car was sold in 1986!!! And just because my grandfather could no longer drive!!! 

I wish I had pictures of it.

Looked for a Standard Coupe for a long time, in 1/24, or even 1/18 scale, but could just find the Deluxe Coupe. 

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I saw a picture of a perfect "diecast" 1940 Ford Standard. 

The fact is: It was not a diecast, it was a built model kit!!! I loved it!! I didn't know about such a kit. Not being building many models latelly. 

I got in contact to forum member Lovefordgalaxie, (Túlio Lazzaroni) that was who had built the model I thought to be a diecast. 

He helped me a lot. We determined the color of my grandfather's Ford as cloudmist gray, as it was "greenish" and a Standard. 

Túlio also told me what kind of paint he was using, where and how I could get authentic Ford colors, what kind of primer to use, and encouraged me to get an airbrush. I bought one, a Steula, and also a compressor with a water trap. 

Had a first attempt, and disaster happened. The paint was terrible bad, full of orange peel, and covered all detail. 

Sent Túlio a e-mail, and he told me I had to actually dilute the paint (obvious, but I had never used an airbrush, and the paint was automotive, so I thought it was ready to use), and use the appropriate product to do so. Also helped me to figure out the best pressure for the paint kind, and my airbrush kind. 

Stripped the body with brake fluid, and gave it a second try. Boy was I happy!!!!!! The very best paint job I ever did!!!

Also have to thank Túlio for telling me how to mix Acrilex paint to get the right color for the interior, and for sending me the correct Standard dash decal.  He also told me I should cut 3mm out of the front axle. I was not confident to do so, as the steering system also would have to be changed to fit, and sure enough, the front wheels rub against the fenders... Even tough this defect, i'm happy with the model. 

Now I have a very cool replica of my grandfather's car!! 

That's why this forum is so great, trough here I knew a lot of cool people, and a cool guy that is into Fords, and that was happy to help me.

Well, enough talk, here are some pictures of the '40!!

Ford 1940 001.JPG

Ford 1940 002.JPG

Ford 1940 003.JPG

Ford 1940 004.JPG

Ford 1940 005.JPG

Ford 1940 006.JPG

Ford 1940 007.JPG

Ford 1940 008.JPG

Ford 1940 009.JPG

Ford 1940 010.JPG

Ford 1940 011.JPG

Thank you for the wonderful comments. I'm really proud of this car. 

I should had used an airbrush way sooner. 

The plan now is to start on a '57 Chevy. 

20 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Wow!!!!!!!

I'm really honored I could help. You did a fantastic job. The paint job look amazing!

Thank you Túlio. You really made this build possible. I didn't even know I could get antique car's factory colors at 1:1 car paint vendors, and the Colorgin primer really protected the plastic from the automotive paint. I wish I knew that before... 

I know I should have deepened the doors and trunk shut lines, but I'm sure I would had destroyed the body. Also was afraid of cutting the front axle. If I had done those, the car would be even nicer. Will try the deepening thing on the AMT Bel Air I plan on starting next weekend. 

Good luck with the '57 Chevy build Thomas, and the '40 Ford looks really good, Built by Tulio and paint job by yourself..... very nicely done and you have learned so much along the way. This is what scale model car building is all about. Your Grandfather would like this model of his pride and joy. Always interesting when there is a story to the build.

David

Very nice!  Pretty color, and well done.  I've recently been building vehicles my dad owned, finished two, have two kits with conversion parts, but still want to figure out how to do the Mercury which is similar to this coupe.  And his dad had a '57 Chevy Handyman wagon, which is why I owned a '57 4 door wagon.  So we have similar family car history.  So cool you did this!

Very Nice Car!!  And I can appreciate your comment on being your best build yet, because I am two parts away from finishing what I feel is my best build.  As modelers, we are always trying to press forward in our skills so I do appreciate and congratulate you on that!

It is definitely a beautiful car!  Can you tell me if that's the AMT kit or the Revell one?  I looked but I must have missed it.  And can you share what color/paint you used for the interior?  I have been looking for this color and have failed miserably in doing so!

Great Job!

10 hours ago, ssroczyn said:

Very Nice Car!!  And I can appreciate your comment on being your best build yet, because I am two parts away from finishing what I feel is my best build.  As modelers, we are always trying to press forward in our skills so I do appreciate and congratulate you on that!

It is definitely a beautiful car!  Can you tell me if that's the AMT kit or the Revell one?  I looked but I must have missed it.  And can you share what color/paint you used for the interior?  I have been looking for this color and have failed miserably in doing so!

Great Job!

It's the Revell kit. 

The interior color was mixed with two Acrilex colors. Two and a half parts of camurça (lighter color) and one part of marrom escuro (the darker color). 

20180323_182801.jpg

1 hour ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I have no idea what I do wrong,  but I struggle getting the right mix when i spray those. Great job.

Well, Acrilex is craft acrylic, so, you can airbrush it, I guess. I brush paint with it. Goes very nicely. 

When I asked Túlio about the interior color, he told me something about Revell having the right color. Since I only have Acrilex paints, and he also uses this brand, he gave me the proportions to make the color. Now that I have a airbrush, i'll try to use it with this paint.