Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

I saw one of these at my local screws last year, it was chuffing enormous when viewed alongside trannies... Great build though!

Just looking at this model reminds me of Brooklands race track. Went last Good Friday for a couple of hrs as Wheels day in Aldershot was off when we got there.

As a side note, I see you are from Billericay. In the 70s I went through Stock on a few Sundays and remember seeing what we knew as the 'Steed' Bentley outside a paper shop a few times. Must have been a local. 

To those that don't know, Steed was the character of John Steed from The Avengers TV series. I can't remember if he drove a blower but he did drive a couple of different models as daily drivers 

including an earlier type(1927?) with larger wings, fenders to our USA friends :) 

3 hours ago, HotRodaSaurus said:

Just looking at this model reminds me of Brooklands race track. Went last Good Friday for a couple of hrs as Wheels day in Aldershot was off when we got there.

As a side note, I see you are from Billericay. In the 70s I went through Stock on a few Sundays and remember seeing what we knew as the 'Steed' Bentley outside a paper shop a few times. Must have been a local. 

To those that don't know, Steed was the character of John Steed from The Avengers TV series. I can't remember if he drove a blower but he did drive a couple of different models as daily drivers 

including an earlier type(1927?) with larger wings, fenders to our USA friends :) 

I was going to go to Wheels Day, too. Luckily I saw the FB post about the showground being a lake, so I stayed at home in the dry and did some kit building.

They do look like a bit of a challenge, those Bentleys. 

There's a little cobbled street, near Baker St tube station. The original Bentley motor car was born there.

Blue plaque on the wall says so.

3 hours ago, geetee66 said:

I was going to go to Wheels Day, too. Luckily I saw the FB post about the showground being a lake, so I stayed at home in the dry and did some kit building.

They do look like a bit of a challenge, those Bentleys. 

There's a little cobbled street, near Baker St tube station. The original Bentley motor car was born there.

Blue plaque on the wall says so.

As I recall, the Steed Bentley was a non-blower Speed Six.

14 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

As I recall, the Steed Bentley was a non-blower Speed Six.

The Steed Character may have drove a number of different Bentley's, here's a screenshot of one I think is a blower. Being a privately owned vehicle borrowed for filming I would think maybe the usual car was unavailable at the time of shooting schedule . I think the end credits of series 4 end with the Speed Six, it has the long mudguards(wings to some, fenders to the US) and the spare on the back. Cant find them on YouTube.

Ian Flemming's James Bond also drove pre war Bentley's in the novels. Drax causes Bond to wreck his in the story 'Moonraker'

Steed's Bentley.png

Every movie/TV car I've researched ALWAYS tries to pass different cars as the same one, hoping we don't catch it...lol.....good luck with that!  I always just build my favorite bits from each one, and combine them into one build.

Edited by Dann Tier

11 hours ago, HotRodaSaurus said:

The Steed Character may have drove a number of different Bentley's, here's a screenshot of one I think is a blower. Being a privately owned vehicle borrowed for filming I would think maybe the usual car was unavailable at the time of shooting schedule . I think the end credits of series 4 end with the Speed Six, it has the long mudguards(wings to some, fenders to the US) and the spare on the back. Cant find them on YouTube.

Ian Flemming's James Bond also drove pre war Bentley's in the novels. Drax causes Bond to wreck his in the story 'Moonraker'

Steed's Bentley.png

Using the registration number shown in your photo, I tracked down this car at vintagebentleys.org. It’s a 1930 6.5 litre Speed Six, driven by Steed in several episodes from 1967-68. The interesting part is that Macnee couldn’t drive it, so they always used a stunt driver. If it’s a blower, it’s not a typical Bentley supercharger in front of the radiator. Lots of photos at the site, but I can’t copy and paste the url.

Edited by sjordan2

55 minutes ago, sjordan2 said:

Using the registration number shown in your photo, I tracked down this car at vintagebentleys.org. It’s a 1930 6.5 litre Speed Six, driven by Steed in several episodes from 1967-68. The interesting part is that Macnee couldn’t drive it, so they always used a stunt driver. If it’s a blower, it’s not a typical Bentley supercharger in front of the radiator. Lots of photos at the site, but I can’t copy and paste the url.

Yes I thought the 'blower' looked odd, I just looked on Google images to get the screen shot. It appears this Bentley has been re bodied a few times, it is indicated that it is in a museum in some of the photo's. 

Even some of the kits have mysterious anomalies. The Airfix 1/12 is originally numbered No 8 and comes with the reg plate UR6571, where the latest rendition of the original kit , the reg plate reads UU5872, the grill painted with the number 9. I expect the grill racing number is correct for the reg. 
 Sometime back one of the many TV car channels did a feature on the cars belonging to Ralph Lauren, whom did own the number 8 car. Don't really know if he still does as this was years ago.

The 1:24 scale Revell kit of the Bentley blower is probably better than the Heller kit, although I shouldn't assume that as I haven't built either of them. Like you Bill, I keep looking at the idea of building the Bentley for my diorama, which is 1958, but the Bentley is a race car so maybe it would not fit properly into the diorama setting. My diorama building is a Rolls-Royce, Daimler, Bentley coachbuilders so perhaps the race car could have been on display in one of the two showrooms.

David

11 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

The 1:24 scale Revell kit of the Bentley blower is probably better than the Heller kit, although I shouldn't assume that as I haven't built either of them. Like you Bill, I keep looking at the idea of building the Bentley for my diorama, which is 1958, but the Bentley is a race car so maybe it would not fit properly into the diorama setting. My diorama building is a Rolls-Royce, Daimler, Bentley coachbuilders so perhaps the race car could have been on display in one of the two showrooms.

David

Anyone know which is the better or are they the same kit ,,just reboxed ?

As far as I can tell, the recent Revell kit is the Heller kit, and it was also packaged under the Airfix label.  It's probably the nicest 1/24 Bentley kit you are likely to get. As has been mentioned before it's fiddly, but if you take your time with it, it builds up really nice, and is as close to 1/25 as you are likely to get.

And the Avengers remains one of my favourite TV show.  Whenever I heard an announcement for an Avenger, there was alway a momentary elation followed by disappointment when I realized they were talking about the superheroes.

It is quite possible that the Revell kit and the Heller kit are one and the same. I did consider building the Airfix 1:12 scale Bentley blower, which is a hugely challenging build I hear, but at £100.00 it was too expensive for me and I do prefer 1:24 scale in any case.

David