Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shizuoka Hobby Show 2018

martinfan5

15 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Never thought I'd see a new kit of a Starion... maybe it's time to build that crappy motorized Fujimi version I've had kicking around for a while. Wonder if I should hold my breath for a wide body version, either from Beemax or an aftermarket caster...

I would totally buy one if they did a factory widebody Starion with those fantastic 5-spoke wheels! :wub:

1988_mitsubishi_starion_esi_2_2_turbo_ha

5 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I would totally buy one if they did a factory widebody Starion with those fantastic 5-spoke wheels! :wub:

1988_mitsubishi_starion_esi_2_2_turbo_ha

Well Beemax doesn't make factory cars, so that's probably Strike 1.  Also the widebody was never used in Group A racing so...

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well Beemax doesn't make factory cars, so that's probably Strike 1.  Also the widebody was never used in Group A racing so...

Kind of why I'm looking toward an aftermarket firm for such a conversion. I don't even need a complete stock-conversion transkit. :) 

Thanks for the update.

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

How is it so all these great kits are coming when the hobby is dying?

Geebus, my wallet is crying.

Hobby is alive and doing very well,  other manufacturers understand whats up.

Edited by Cool Hand

42 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Funny.  I could'na given half a scat about a widebody Starion when they were current - but now that we're talking a new kit 3+ decades after the fact, I actually had a little Homer Simpson moan about not getting one.

Nostalgia - ?

R e a l l y ?

Hmmph.  Go figure.

I do find the mid 80s sports coupe styling quite appealing...was the era I got my license, so subjects from the mid to late 80s kinda get my attention..

On 5/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, Jordan White said:

That makes two of us! The only rice rocket I ever owned:

my88starion.thumb.jpg.1c0d87ad9e8fb44422f1702daec71fad.jpg

my88starion2.thumb.jpg.81430e8ba9f6554c92af6b53b561e129.jpg

Got it at an estate auction in 2000 for $2400 (only 44k miles) and soon flipped it to some kid from Long Beach. Made a few hundred on the deal but still kick myself for letting it go. Man, when that turbo kicked in...B)

On 4/10/2018 at 6:37 AM, Zoom Zoom said:

Nothing from Aoshima/Hasegawa this time that inspires me; that's okay. My personal desire for 1/24 RX2, RX4, and R100 coupes in plastic might never happen LOL. Mild interest in the Civic racer. I might get the Modeler's 2017 Civic Type R...and not the 2018 Camry :lol: I'm about to start building their MX5 Global Cup racer, pretty nice resin kit.

2v2JtBc65xvKa6.jpg

Never seen that company before.. Can anybody help me? $90 for camry kit haha! I am so getting them along with civic type r

3 hours ago, Samuel S said:

Never seen that company before.. Can anybody help me? $90 for camry kit haha! I am so getting them along with civic type r

HobbyLink Japan and Hobby Search both carry Modeler's resin kits. None of that stuff is up for pre-order yet, but the previous 2 Super GT GT-Rs, '17 GT-R, 370Z NiSMO, Prius, 2x '15 WRX STI, and Honda 660 Alpha are all available with a '17 GT-R NiSMO and '15 Civic Type-R due this month. Occasionally they'll pop up on eBay, but at a premium from a secondary seller in Japan - eg the Super GT kits are $110, but are listed between $160-$199 on eBay. 

• 2 months later...

So to update this thread all of the kits mentioned within that are tangible (eg not just 3D Prototypes or Rapid Print Design Concepts) have either been released, are about to be released, or at least have functional pre-orders with the exception of most of the Modeler's Resin stuff (the Camry has a pre-order available), the Beemax Lancia S4, and the Sprint Series BMW M6.

Jonathan has already done the what's in the box for the Calsonic R31 GTS-R, but the street kit was released two weeks ago.  The Hasegawa Mitsubishi was released Monday 

10531117p.jpg.60670929ad1570aca91c69a7445bec18.jpg

Also this morning we saw the global releases of the Beemax 935 K2

10543678p.jpg.08fa899d1bb17f8f7594783ac2c23803.jpg

The Falken BMW M6 was just given an October Pre-Order, and will come with 3 livery choices.  The Falken Demo livery, 2017 24hrs of Nurburgring Falken Racing, and 2017 VLN Series Falken Racing. 

Right around the corner is the Tokyo Model & Hobby Show in October - and kit pre-orders are up for most companies through October, so those new tools, tooling revisions, and whatnot should be leaking out within the next month or so in preparations for the show.  

Edited by niteowl7710

Lemme make some edits in brackets: I wonder what Tamiya will have to offer [IF ANYTHING AT ALL]?  I feel like something vintage should be up next, since the past two new releases have been a modern road car (NSX) and a race car (AMG GT3).

Edited by BVC500

14 minutes ago, BVC500 said:

Lemme make some edits in brackets: I wonder what Tamiya will have to offer [IF ANYTHING AT ALL]?  I feel like something vintage should be up next, since the past two new releases have been a modern road car (NSX) and race car (AMG GT3).

I’m predicting the Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta. Tamiya did the convertible F50. Another new car may be the Aston Martin DB11. Old or new, I’m sure it’ll be great.

Ben

I'm still patiently waiting for a non-endurance version of the AMG GT3 kit, which I know will be a "pffft whatever" release to most of you, but other than the Studio27 2016 24hrs of Nurburgring liveries they've done, pretty much every other aftermarket livery set is for a car that uses the single projector beam headlight set-up, not the twin-beam endurance set the kit comes with - being the endurance set-up is really only used on 12/24hr races, and the well frankly the majority of Blancpain, IMSA/Weathertech, et al aren't.

An Aperta would be interesting, and making an FXX-K Evo would be a minor retooling.  Classic kit...hmm well there's only ever been one release of the 300 SL, I always thought we'd get a Roadster version of that.

8 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'm still patiently waiting for a non-endurance version of the AMG GT3 kit, which I know will be a "pffft whatever" release to most of you, but other than the Studio27 2016 24hrs of Nurburgring liveries they've done, pretty much every other aftermarket livery set is for a car that uses the single projector beam headlight set-up, not the twin-beam endurance set the kit comes with - being the endurance set-up is really only used on 12/24hr races, and the well frankly the majority of Blancpain, IMSA/Weathertech, et al aren't.

An Aperta would be interesting, and making an FXX-K Evo would be a minor retooling.  Classic kit...hmm well there's only ever been one release of the 300 SL, I always thought we'd get a Roadster version of that.

Make a production suggestion to Plamoz for a non-endurance conversion? Though I note Plamoz has been pretty quiet recently. I hope the company continues to release new products. The proprietor did say that he wants to group development of new items to achieve some costs savings. I did suggest the Aperta version to him (and I think Hobby Design).

As for different versions of kits...Tamiya doesn't do that anymore like they used to. I would think a 300SL roadster would sell well, as people would buy them to accompany their gullwings.

2 minutes ago, BVC500 said:

Make a production suggestion to Plamoz for a non-endurance conversion? Though I note Plamoz has been pretty quiet recently. I hope the company continues to release new products. The proprietor did say that he wants to group development of new items to achieve some costs savings. I did suggest the Aperta version to him (and I think Hobby Design).

As for different versions of kits...Tamiya doesn't do that anymore like they used to. I would think a 300SL roadster would sell well, as people would buy them to accompany their gullwings.

They still squeak out infinitesimal small change reissues - like the Molded in Yellow version of the LaFerrari they did in the Spring.   The AMG GT3 is tooled in such a way that the wheels and headlight buckets are in a little "mini-sprue" that comes off the base of the main chassis runner.  There's an identical cut out on the top end of that same runner, that would serve no practical purpose unless there's a matching "mini-sprue" that has the other headlight buckets and the specific wheels that the Super GT cars run...

The AMG GT3 also has sold in a significantly greater volume than the Beemax NuNu Hobby/Platz BMW M6, and they're pushing out two more versions of that with tiny revision to make other versions for different race series.