Model Cars Magazine Forum

'95 Batmobile

David G.

So far this year, I've started three projects. This is the third, started about a month ago.

I bought this at the most recent Desert Scale Classic. This is my absolute least favorite Batmobile. It's too flashy, too glitzy and way too over the top. It's more Bat-glam than Batman. 

But technically,  it is a Batmobile and I would like to build as many of the different varieties as I can.

Batmobile_95_01.thumb.jpg.ed38606cdd2a07923125d10422e6e4cc.jpg

Here's the chrome tree. This thing has more chrome than a '59 Chrysler.

Batmobile_95_02.thumb.jpg.f128ee1b2c9e1cc0a21172cb7188dc9a.jpg

I used Sharpie pens to tone the chrome down a bit and try to capture the blue glow from the movie car.

Batmobile_95_03.thumb.jpg.2051a19fb7af8fe631836669c0b78764.jpg

Some test fitting to get a feel for the appearance and assembly. This car is huge! My eye estimates it, in scale, at a little more than 20' long and almost 10' tall.

Batmobile_95_04.thumb.jpg.8acbe3a7c1da79ba6002a70812133e7a.jpg

Initially, I wasn't completely happy with the plastic-y sheen of the plastic so I sprayed it with a dull coat and liked that even less.

Batmobile_95_05.thumb.jpg.a1ce0e4eff87210449c90432f33f5be8.jpg

While the body soaked in the "purple pond", I went on to build the interior. It's fairly simple but it gets the point across.

Batmobile_95_06.thumb.jpg.07afd3b1bc0ea02ec484fa42a2976717.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

So far so good, looking forward to seeing more of it!

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

That kit would look better with some WIDE tires and the fenders widened to match, rather than the pizza cutters it looks like it came with.

The kit has fairly respectable big & bigger Goodyear Eagle GTs, the same tires Revell used in several of their muscle car kits.  It's the hubcaps that look doofy.

IMHO, the Clooney, Batman and Robin is the worst Batmobile. An open cockpit? Yeesh. 

Anyway, I build this one and had the same issues. I did it in semi-gloss black and for the chromy bits, I used a heavy black wash. The result I rather liked and it gave it an industrial look that I liked. I also kept the center wing as one piece. I won't hijack your thread by posting pics, but if you want to see them, I can PM you.

Nice work. I like the blue tinted parts.

Well, there seems to be a consensus:

Worst. Batmobile. Ever. 

Thank you all for the tips and comments.

Rob, I'd like to see the photos of your build. If you have some posted on the MCM forum, feel free to slap a link on this page. If not, then you can PM some to me.

I don't plan to do any special mods or detailing on this one. I just want to do a decent job on it and get it done. The year's almost half over and I have yet to complete a build.

I should be able to post a few new photos soon.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

David G.

10 hours ago, David G. said:

Rob, I'd like to see the photos of your build. If you have some posted on the MCM forum, feel free to slap a link on this page. If not, then you can PM some to me.

I used the gallery here which for some reason I can't link. Okay PM it is.

Edited by Jantrix

I almost typed that this kit is really cartoon-y...and then I remember what I was commenting on.

I think I'd agree with the masses, it is not the best Batmobile by far, but it's an interesting kit. And it looks to me like you're doing a great job on this one so far.

I think it would be great if you built every variation. 

Either the common ones...

bm1.jpg

Or if you wanted to get crazy ambitious...

bm4.jpg

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I almost typed that this kit is really cartoon-y...and then I remember what I was commenting on.

I think I'd agree with the masses, it is not the best Batmobile by far, but it's an interesting kit. And it looks to me like you're doing a great job on this one so far.

I think it would be great if you built every variation. 

Either the common ones...

bm1.jpg

Or if you wanted to get crazy ambitious...

bm4.jpg

I've built two of the five pictured in the first image. Add this one and a Tumbler waiting in the wings (so to speak) and that would make four of the five.

The chart is cool, thanks for posting it. I'm not that ambitious, though.

David G. 

OK. I've polished the plastic and I'm rather happy with the way it came out.

Batmobile_95_07.thumb.jpg.bb02cb4b28db4106bf4cb4eb3f1381ad.jpg

Wheels! In my mind, getting wheels on the ground is a model building milestone. It's the point at which the completion becomes a very real possibility.

Although I'm still not sure about that bat-wing on the back.

Batmobile_95_08.thumb.jpg.08605ed015eed151305b75640ebafa7e.jpg

Thanks for watching! See you next time- Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel!

David G.

Yea Dave, you said that the "Worst. Batmobile. Ever. " in your post, but really when we look at that cool crusader! That batmobile, is great by that line up that Dan did, because... ITS A BATMOBILE!!! hehe! And famous too!

Your Kilmer version is coming out just awesome!! I have that kit (and most of the rest too, short of Bales version) and man thats coming out nice!

Edited by DrSprue

15 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I'm afraid that poster dosen't even scratch the surface.

Every artist that's ever drawn a Bat-comic has his own spin on the Batmobile. Not to mention the car dies a horrible death every few issues.

OK, in the home stretch on this one.

Seeing it this way, I think it would make an interesting Formula 1 car.

Batmobile_95_09.thumb.jpg.54f6377faf3cc4470bd2df5653a3022a.jpg

Nearly completed- Just need to add the fenders and some other bits.

Batmobile_95_10.thumb.jpg.c6fb245d67dac20d5d1f7d43ae5a74b7.jpg

Gha, this thing is huge!

Batmobile_95_11.thumb.jpg.0899460ee36aff4e8196ab74680327e6.jpg

Alright. Next time you see this one, it'll be in the Under Glass section.

Thanks again for all the comments and encouragement.

David G.

On 5/9/2018 at 6:44 AM, David G. said:

I used Sharpie pens to tone the chrome down a bit and try to capture the blue glow from the movie car.

Batmobile_95_03.thumb.jpg.2051a19fb7af8fe631836669c0b78764.jpg

Sorry, I'm a little late to the plate here, but I like the effective use of your markers. Which compels me to recommend alcohol inks for such projects. It's basically marker ink as a liquid which can be applied with a brush or small sponge. Same effect but you don't get the stroke marks. Dilutes with alcohol (duh). Craft stores have them in the scrapbook sections.

Sample of inks on washers...

d592620a7f882ed791f5fbf11804d01b.jpg

AIAllcolorsbottles.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer