Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old MPC / AMT '28 Model A todor Sedan Rumored to come back

I would buy one. Maybe several. I really like the '28/'29 Ford. Pretty much all body styles. I really like the look of the cowl area. Onebof my favorite hot rods ever in the Ken "Posies" Fenical's Thunder extended cab chop top '29 pickup. It's a phantom body style; a Tutor sedan shortened into the extended cab pickup body. It is just awesome.

3 minutes ago, LDO said:

I would buy one. Maybe several. I really like the '28/'29 Ford. Pretty much all body styles. I really like the look of the cowl area. Onebof my favorite hot rods ever in the Ken "Posies" Fenical's Thunder extended cab chop top '29 pickup. It's a phantom body style; a Tutor sedan shortened into the extended cab pickup body. It is just awesome.

tdfrt14.jpg

download.jpg

Every conversation I've ever encountered on this subject has resulted in someone stating that the '28 tooling was permanently altered into the '28 Woody kit and thus the '28 Tudor will never return. This would be why the kit has never been re-issued, and why collectors are willing to pay a premium for it. I have 2 built examples that I will restore/hot rod at some point.

I agree that it's a cool subject and would be a great kit to have back...but I'll believe it when I see it.

That said, I just read the statement on Spotlight, and if it IS in fact true, then it would be darn cool if they were to re-issue the whole shebang and just let modelers sort the parts out themselves. They could call the '28 bits "bonus" items...maybe print a little pamphlet with illustrations of how the parts could be combined like the old "hints by Barris" in AMT trophy series instructions.

3 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Every conversation I've ever encountered on this subject has resulted in someone stating that the '28 tooling was permanently altered into the '28 Woody kit and thus the '28 Tudor will never return. This would be why the kit has never been re-issued, and why collectors are willing to pay a premium for it. I have 2 built examples that I will restore/hot rod at some point.

I agree that it's a cool subject and would be a great kit to have back...but I'll believe it when I see it.

That said, I just read the statement on Spotlight, and if it IS in fact true, then it would be darn cool if they were to re-issue the whole shebang and just let modelers sort the parts out themselves. They could call the '28 bits "bonus" items...maybe print a little pamphlet with illustrations of how the parts could be combined like the old "hints by Barris" in AMT trophy series instructions.

I take Dennis Doty and Tim Boyd, as two reliable sources in this hobby. Whether we'll actually see the reissue, who knows? But as for the existence of the tool, between these two highly respected authors and historians for our hobby, I'll take it as the truth

I'm not too familiar with Dennis Doty, but I've never known Tim Boyd to spread rumors...so I think I might have to believe this one!

I still wanna SEE it. Then I'll know it's truly out there, like the newly uncovered Barris-built Golden Sahara show car. Legend for decades--and finally out of hiding.

Spex84,  Dennis Doty is one of the greats in our hobby. He wrote articles for model magazines in the 60s, and was a consultant to Monogram. He is a model car historian  and wrote the model kit histories in He writes Automobile Year Book of Models back in the 80s. He was also a partner in Model Car Journal magazine. He writes the Collectable Models column that has appeared in every issue of Collectible Automobile magazine. As you can see, his qualifications are impeccable.

6 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Saw this on another board, saying the molds were in China and still workable.

AMT '28 Ford.jpg

car269a.jpg

I don't know about this one. I like coupes much better sedans/coaches. But, with the original box art, I might feel a need to add one to my collection. 

Just a cautionary note.....the (incomplete) tooling existing in China (as stated by Tom Carter) does not automatically translate into "rumored to come back" as stated above. 

There are a lot of obstacles to overcome before a usable kit pops out.

Edited by pack rat

Btw I have an unbuilt kit in very good condition. As much as I like the '28/'29 Tudor as a street rod, part of me just doesn't want to drop a 331 Cadillac into this little piece of our hobby's history. Or Ford 4.6 DOHC with EFI stack injection and a Cobra IRS.

For as excited as people get over this kit why doesn't it get built more often? Too sacred? I bought a mint complete one a few years back for about $70 then promptly whipped out the razor saw and chopped the top 4 scale inches. It's only plastic... 

Now, if it actually came to pass that the Sedan body was produced again and (most logically included as a bonus option in the Woody / RPU kit) I'd definitely grab a couple for hot rod projects. 

I'd be HAPPY as a KID with dollas galore to have one of these back again ! I can say the kit went together very well and even when it was issued under the MPC label as a 1930 Woodie or a PU, the same can be said of those kits too .

3 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

For as excited as people get over this kit why doesn't it get built more often? Too sacred? I bought a mint complete one a few years back for about $70 then promptly whipped out the razor saw and chopped the top 4 scale inches. It's only plastic... 

Dennis....I did just that back in the mid 1980's.... 2v8SZAHMx9hi3o.jpg

(Turns out exposed color camera film wasn't such a good idea for tinted windows after 35+ years of shelf life)....more pictures including detail shots here..... TIM 

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Dennis....I did just that back in the mid 1980's.... 

(Turns out exposed color camera film wasn't such a good idea for tinted windows after 35+ years of shelf life)....more pictures including detail shots here..... TIM 

Maybe the windows haven't aged well, but the car overall sure has! Other than the wheels it has nothing to "pin" it as an '80's build. :)

• Xingu locked this topic