Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Austin Mini V-Tec rear engine (update 10 Oct)


geetee66
 Share

Recommended Posts

I saw a Mini in a yard and had to get a closer look. Couldn't believe it had a Volvo 2L turbo engine stuffed into the rear.

 I decided on the spot, that I'd have to try and build one.

 

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

Edited by geetee66
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the Tamiya kit from eBay for about £20.

The Honda B-18 engine is by Studio 81, the seat, photo etched fuel caps, fire extinguishers and wheels came from ScaleProduction.de.

 I'm very impressed with the wheels. They're really well made and the tyres are good.

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll make a fuel cell to go where the fwd engine was. The floorpan will be cut away at the back and I'll need to fabricate a frame/roll cage to mount the engine etc.

I've seen online videos of this type of engine swap, and these cars accelerate like lightning. Even faster with an R1 or Hyabusa motorcycle engine. 0-60 in 3 seconds, easy!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 1:1 looks like a real terror on the road. This should be a fun build. I'm working on somewhat of the same idea. I'm putting a Corvette LS engine and rear mounted trans./diff. in the back of a '69 Corvair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, geetee66 said:

It's been a while...

Work prevented progress ?

I had a go at one roll cage, but it looked too fat and I didn't like the shape:

IMG_2572.JPG

I know the feeling!....but its worth it to redo it til YOU like it!!...welcome back!!   -I like to use canopy glue to pre-assemble things as well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...so I made another one from thinner styrene rod. 

I started by putting wire posts in the ends of any vertical parts, and drilled corresponding holes in the floor pan.

styrene always wants to return to its original shape. The wire posts helped keep everything in place while I attached the horizontal parts. I used Rocket and Tamiya extra thin cement and it made a good bond.

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, geetee66 said:

...so I made another one from thinner styrene rod. 

I started by putting wire posts in the ends of any vertical parts, and drilled corresponding holes in the floor pan.

styrene always wants to return to its original shape. The wire posts helped keep everything in place while I attached the horizontal parts. I used Rocket and Tamiya extra thin cement and it made a good bond.

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

Now that looks AWESOME!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, geetee66 said:

Cheers Dan

it's all done by eye, as the markings on my ruler are feint. It's not 100% , but as most of it hides behind bodywork...well..

You said it right there, Guy....."by eye", it totally looks perf!!…..models aren't displayed under magnifiers, and IF they were, that'd be one weird person!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made some modifications and devised a way to mount the engine.

 I had to remove the rear horizontal bar to fit the engine, after I installed more pipe work to the centre hoop.

added some side bars too.

now I've got to add some sort of structure for the rear shocks to bolt to.

15D8C54F-E805-4679-83BB-9116ED983326.jpg

CBD92CCD-4764-4AD0-AD36-38A1670C20EB.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...