Model Cars Magazine Forum

35 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

If we're really going to entertain the faux outrage at people being silly on eBay, I win the Internet with this Foose P/U on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Foose-FD-100-Pickup-Plastic/dp/B01NC2YI55?keywords=revell+foose&qid=1529106754&sr=8-2&ref=mp_s_a_1_2

But hey at least the shipping is free!

Hey only $800 plus and free shipping(hope he isn't going to loss money on the free shipping). Guess they have to pay for whatever drugs they are using.

12 hours ago, bubbaman said:

i don` t like  FOOSE so anything his  is a  NO  NO

Same here. It seems that he takes the unique character of a classic vehicle and smooths it all away. Kind of sucks the soul right right out of it.

David G.

I find it interesting how a post about greedy ebay and amazon sellers has been hijacked to bash Foose. Personally I could care less if you like his work or not.

First for the production cars he tends to restyle and enhance the original design which are designed for customers wanting him to build their dreams. Definitely not some of the butchering done in the name of customizing as some have done.

His clean sheet designs are always very well designed and executed. 

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nope, I don't agree.

Image result for foose hemisfear

I think that this is a perfect example of what David G. is saying.

Exactly what about this car, other than the back slanted grille, would give any indication whatsoever that it is "supposed" to be a '34 Ford?

The '34 "Ford-ness" has been completely obliterated.

In my opinion, it looks like another kit car.

Steve

15 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Exactly what about this car, other than the back slanted grille, would give any indication whatsoever that it is "supposed" to be a '34 Ford?

Ya'll just miss the point entirely. 

it's NOT "supposed" to be a '34 Ford.

It's an entirely ORIGINAL design, every single part specifically engineered and fabricated, with '33-'34 Ford influence.

And if the "Ford-ness" has been "entirely obliterated", how do you recognize there's any "Ford-ness" there at all?

I really have to wonder why Foose-bashing seems to be so popular these days.

The man is real dammed good at what he does.

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Personally I could care less.....

It's "I couldn't care less", meaning that the amount of care and concern you have about something could not be any less, any lower. "I could care less" is the opposite and means that you do care at some level. So, which sentiment are you trying to convey? Incorrect grammatical usage is a pet peeve of mine. :P:D 

Most of the comments about the prices asked for the Foose pickup are along the line of "What a greedy dude to charge that much."  It's a free market. The sellers can ask for whatever they want. Anyone actually buying the kit at those prices should definitely have their sanity questioned, though.

I think Mr. Foose is real good on what he does, that is to create stuff that will satisfy the guys that want something exclusive, and different from the run of the mill dealer bought car. 

I just happen to dislike what he does, as I dislike hot rods in general, and barely tolerate even reversible modifications to a original car.-

I don't like the big wheels, and the modern looking appearance of his original designs. That has a lot to do with my dislike of modern vehicles in general. 

When he modifies a existing car, he tends to smooth the lines, and to eliminate gapes, like between fenders and bumpers. While this has appeal to many, I don't like it. Another thing I don't like is the paint schemes he uses, like some two tone effects, and graphics. 

In general Foose is too high tech for me. 

I also dislike the late Boyd, for the same reason. 

I remember watching Boyd's show, when he was building a red '56 Chevy, and someone said it was the best '56 in the US. 

I beg to differ. The best one would be a all original '56, just like it was originally built at the GM factory. Not a over restored one, a ORIGINAL car. 

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In my opinion, it looks like another kit car.

Steve

I agree 100%. 

Park a 1934 Ford side by side with that thing, and see both cars. Really take a good look at them. The only thing Ford there is the subtle hint given by the grille overall shape. Foose created a car, that is in essence a modern car, with all creature comforts bells and whistles of a high end modern car, but that is different from all modern cars you can buy at the dealer. That and the hint it was based on a '34 Ford (making it instantly into a hot rod), plus the craftsmanship involved into building such a car will make the guy that has the necessity of showing off to feel accomplished, to buy it in a heartbeat. The "hey look at me, look at what I bought, and you can't have one" guy will love it.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Ya'll just miss the point entirely. 

it's NOT "supposed" to be a '34 Ford.

It's an entirely ORIGINAL design, every single part specifically engineered and fabricated, with '33-'34 Ford influence.

And if the "Ford-ness" has been "entirely obliterated", how do you recognize there's any "Ford-ness" there at all?

I really have to wonder why Foose-bashing seems to be so popular these days.

The man is real dammed good at what he does.

I don't disagree at all that this type of design is "entirely original", and if you're desire is something that is not supposed to represent anything "historical" at all, than this is what you would want.

My only intention was to reinforce Davids view that "he takes the unique character of a classic vehicle and smooths it all away" which I believe this example absolutely does.

The only visible '34 Ford "influence" that this car exhibits at all is the basic shape of the grille.

Remove that, and the influence could be absolutely anything from the 1930s.

There's nothing wrong with this design if that's what you like, but I agree with David that some of his creations go too far for my taste.

This could just as easily be a mildly customized Plymouth Prowler & nobody would ever know the difference.

I'll admit that I'm not much of a fan of custom vehicles, like that's a surprise, but I do appreciate one that keeps the basic flavor of the vehicle that it is portraying.

I have nothing against Foose, I just don't have a lot of appreciation for what he creates.

And by the way, the color absolutely kills it for me.

Please, somebody tell me that the era of this neon green is about over!

It could not end too soon!!!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

56 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Anyone actually buying the kit at those prices should definitely have their sanity questioned, though.

This,  and lets be honest, and the reality is,  I feel there is not going to be very many takers for these kits at these stupid high prices,  reason, pretty much all automotive builders are what one could call, cheapskates.   But, that seller on Ebay sells his parts and kits at his stupid  prices so maybe I am wrong.

Carry on.

36 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

This,  and lets be honest, and the reality is,  I feel there is not going to be very many takers for these kits at these stupid high prices,  reason, pretty much all automotive builders are what one could call, cheapskates.   But, that seller on Ebay sells his parts and kits at his stupid  prices so maybe I am wrong.

Carry on.

Maybe his buyers don't have the connections we have with each other. We should feel sorry that they HAVE to pay so much for stuff from him! Hobbyists know the real value of the models they are looking for, and simply won't be duped, especially when there's a brother willing to share. That's what I like about this and other forums like this, we share, trade and help, but we don't gouge a fellow builder.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

1 hour ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Foose created a car, that is in essence a modern car, with all creature comforts bells and whistles of a high end modern car, ....plus the craftsmanship involved into building such a car will make the guy that has the necessity of showing off to feel accomplished, to buy it in a heartbeat. The "hey look at me, look at what I bought, and you can't have one" guy will love it.

Oh, Retro-Moderne.

You mean like this?

1-221.jpg.031ca433b85da0f60730c49cdb447dd9.jpg

841143_1.jpg.f95953a492bce81b4c58d2d21c7dce45.jpg

f5771a34414a6712b9c7204d52267c8a.jpg.ac27e3fd14c5595103a4ab1b25c14eeb.jpg

8hhrBdswfinal.jpg.60aeff550cab96b00f04b6cc2e98bf6f.jpg

5b24b0db943cd_0707tr_01_zchevrolet_ssrfront_view.jpg.1064d38eeccf1c78af83d275b2bef1d1.jpg

????

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Maybe his buyers don't have the connections we have with each other. We should feel sorry that they HAVE to pay so much for stuff from him!

Feel sorry for what, that they're one level above idiot? They don't have to pay so much for stuff. Since they possess the minimal mental faculties to use a computer and log into ebay, it stands to reason that they should be able to use the search function to look for what they want at a much lower price. Then again, their heads probably whistle when standing outside in a stiff breeze.

I do appreciate that some of you tried to keep this thread on topic, but it has digressed to far. If you guys want to continue the discussion of why one builder is better than another, please start another topic.

• Xingu locked this topic