Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford 5-Window 60's Hot Rod

Dennis Lacy

This was a project that I threw together in about 2 months which is fast for me! The idea was to build a cool Hot Rod with easy kit-bashing and minimal custom fabrication since most of my projects tend to be heavy on the modifications and take forever. Something I could finish quickly to feel like I accomplished something.

I started with the Revell '32 5-Window Coupe and kit-bashed it (mostly) with parts from the other kits in Revell's '32 Ford series for easy interchangeability. The idea was to built an early 60's Hot Rod to terrorize the streets with. I've never built a model with flame decals before so I figured this was an appropriate way to try some. I also Channeled the body over the frame.

- Stacy David "Rat Roaster" '32 Roadster complete chassis and Chevy small block engine. Gas tank removed from rear of frame, frame tails shortened and flat floor panel added. 

- Revell Parts Pak 283 Chevy dual intake, chrome starter, chrome fuel pump. AMT Ala Kart chrome generator. Revell '32 5-Window carburetors and air filters. Revell '57 Chevy exhaust manifolds with custom made extension pipes to tie into Rat Roaster mufflers and tailpipes. Revell '29 Roadster radiator and cut down radiator hoses. Detail Master wired distributor.

- Rat Roaster headlights, grill and shell. AMT '32 Phantom Vicky firewall with Revell '48 Ford master cylinders for brakes/clutch.

- Rat Roaster upholstery panels and seats. AMT '25 Double T chrome roll bar. Revell '48 Ford cut-down dashboard with Ed Roth Tweedy Pie steering wheel. 

- Revell Orange Crate '32 Sedan wheels and tires.

- Testors Icy Blue one coat paint with 5-Window kit decals and Tamiya clear coat. Tamiya Pearl White interior and Tamiya Chrome Yellow on engine. 

DSCN6973-vi.jpg

DSCN6969-vi.jpg

DSCN6984-vi.jpg

DSCN6996-vi.jpg

DSCN7005-vi.jpg

DSCN6993-vi.jpg

DSCN6989-vi.jpg

DSCN6991-vi.jpg

DSCN6990-vi.jpg

DSCN6896-vi.jpg

Comments, good or bad are welcomed!

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 2:17 AM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Wow! This is an an awesome combination of some the coolest Hot Rod parts around! The ´48 dash looks very cool in a ´32!

Thank you! I've been wanting to put a '48 dash in a hot rod for a while and I'm really happy with the look.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:31 AM, alan barton said:

What a great combination of parts!  It is so nice to see such a well balanced approach to channelling a hot rod, as opposed to the distorted efforts of many rat rodders.  Balance is everything!  Nice job Dennis.

Thanks a bunch. I'm not into cartoon-like proportions either. I wouldn't have been opposed to a mild chop but that would have been counter productive to the whole "simple" idea. 

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...