Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Stig Collection" -Cobra 427

Dann Tier

16 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Heres how I paint my bodies; I shoot 1 opaque coat( 2-3 light coats ), sand with 2000 grit, 1 more light coat of filler primer, and either shoot one of the other Duplicolor primers, or start laying-down your color. for me, its almost always; 4 filler coats, 4 kolor, and 4 clear coats......sanding with 2000 grit between every coat after the opaque coat. What you get with this system, is a properly scaled-down gloss. You probably wont win any paint finish awards, since judges like STUPIDLY out 0f scale finishes, but all of my builds have won awards.

Dann, how would you describe a light coat?  Are your 4 color and clear coats also light like you do the filler coats?  Thanks!

21 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Dann, how would you describe a light coat?  Are your 4 color and clear coats also light like you do the filler coats?  Thanks!

Hey, Chris!, the best way I can describe my coats is by distance and speed. If you spray too far away, with a slow speed, you will get heavy dry-spray,  If you spray too far away with the proper speed, you will get a light coat of dry-spray. If you hold the can 4 inches away with a 1-2 second pass, you will get the perfect light coat! Unless i'm going for texture, my distance stays at 4 inches, its how long it takes me to do each individual pass, that adjusts light to heavy coats. Tipically for me, each side of the cars body takes 4 passes from rocker to drip rail....I start spraying with the rockers, do the first side, then the second, then the under side of the front fascia.....back and forth, overlapping passes side to side (Not longitudely) until I go under the rear bumper. Hope this helps, bud!...let me know if you need help with anything else!

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Chris!, the best way I can describe my coats is by distance and speed. If you spray too far away, with a slow speed, you will get heavy dry-spray,  If you spray too far away with the proper speed, you will get a light coat of dry-spray. If you hold the can 4 inches away with a 1-2 second pass, you will get the perfect light coat! Unless i'm going for texture, my distance stays at 4 inches, its how long it takes me to do each individual pass, that adjusts light to heavy coats. Tipically for me, each side of the cars body takes 4 passes from rocker to drip rail....I start spraying with the rockers, do the first side, then the second, then the under side of the front fascia.....back and forth, overlapping passes side to side (Not longitudely) until I go under the rear bumper. Hope this helps, bud!...let me know if you need help with anything else!

Thanks Dann!  I'm going to give this a try on my next build.  Just got the Filler Primer and the Perfect Match Clear.  I'll be trying the clear on my current build, hopefully soon.

6 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Is that Perfect Match clear a lacquer?  I ask because sometimes after BMF I get some adhesive residue on the paint and I use Testors enamel thinner to remove it.  The enamel has no affect on the Nason 2 part urethane clear I normally use.

Yes it is, Jim!...love this stuff!!…..wish they woulda told me sooner that they stopped putting the mixing ball in it......darn-near threw my shoulder-out shaking that.....thing!!...lmao

41 minutes ago, cobraman said:

How the heck did it take me so long to find this ?  Being as I kind of sort of like Cobra's I have to say this is one darn good looking model.

LOL, Ray!!….I don't know, maybe because there are a TON of great builders here!!