Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wal-Mart model car boxes

The way I understand it worked was the checkerboard kits were sold by the case assortment, so WalMart (or whatever big-box retailer) didn't call up and order X number of 57 Chevys and X number of 66 Mercurys, etc,  they just ordered however many of these case assortments and the contents would be mixed with whatever AMT chose to offer in that run of kits

Edited by Brett Barrow

Those were only sold at Wal-Mart.  One LHS guy here used to buy them and try to pass them off as "rare packaging variations" for several times the WM price.  He's out of business now.

Some of them might be future collectibles, because they aren't catalog items.  Some weren't around long.  The prepaints in particular might be good, as many weren't offered in the regular line and differed from the regular ones in color.

What is currently on my bench. Walmart exclusive afaik. Bought from a collection for cheap. Pre-painted, but no clear means no gloss. Has two engines. 
I think he only charged me $20.

20180620_175120.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

Dunno if they're "collector items" or not, but I have several of them, I bought them with the intention of building them, robbing them for parts, or holding them for future "swap fodder," and The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will! B)

A few days ago I was comparing prices of of the various issues of the AMT '53 Studebaker in the Directory of Model Car Kits. The issue released around the same time & featured the same model on the box top as the WalMart listed for $24. The WalMart issue listed for $12. I compared the 2 issues & they are identical. Looking further into this, the Directory has a section listing all WalMart issued kits & all listed for $12. (Prepainted kits were not included in this section but are listed with the standard issues) If these prices are any indicator, You could save some bucks if you don't mind the checkerboard.

Edited by #1 model citizen
Typo

There were quite a number of prepainted/pre-decorated kits issued. Many were issued in different colors, too. You can add to the list:

'57 Chrysler - Dk green, Black

'58 Edsel - Black/red, (?) 

'58 Plymouth - Red w/white roof

'71 Charger - Green

'71 Duster - Green

These kits don't seem to have much value, often selling for less than the unpainted versions, however I have built a few & must say I was impressed detail painted wheel covers. I could never hand paint fine details that precise.

Its a shame these kits were not well received. I too worked on one while stuck in the hospital where you can't paint and I can think of many other situations where you can't paint. I would think these kits would be less intimidating to novice modelers, too.

1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

There were quite a number of prepainted/pre-decorated kits issued. Many were issued in different colors, too. You can add to the list:

'57 Chrysler - Dk green, Black

'58 Edsel - Black/red, (?) 

'58 Plymouth - Red w/white roof

'71 Charger - Green

'71 Duster - Green

56 Victoria - red/black

68 RoadRunner - red

70 Monte Carlo - purple 

62 Pontiac - 2 types, burgundy and champagne w/fog

67 Impala - orange

70 Baldwin Motion Camaro - red w/painted on graphics.

66 Nova - blue?

65 GTO - black?

77 Trans Am - white/gold

39 Custom Chevy Delivery - red/painted wood

41 Ford Woody - yellow 

64 Impala - yellow with roses

Maybe more?....

I remember buying them for $3.88 for the unpainted ones and 12.88 for the painted ones. After Christmas, I recall them being marked down from $2 to $6 or $7. They had a lot of varieties.

Now when I see those boxes, I won't pay a lot for them because I know how cheap they originally were.

The painting on them was pretty nice, details were done very well and the parts were bagged separately. If you liked the color combination the car was painted in, you didn't have to do anything else but glue it together.

I gave a bunch to my son as beginning builders and taught him how to assemble them neatly and quickly, as he didn't have to paint anything on them first. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27

6 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

56 Victoria - red/black

68 RoadRunner - red

70 Monte Carlo - purple 

62 Pontiac - burgundy and ?

67 Impala - orange

70 Baldwin Motion Camaro - red w/painted on graphics.

66 Nova - blue?

65 GTO - black?

77 Trans Am - white/gold

39 Custom Chevy Delivery - red/painted wood

41 Ford Woody - yellow 

64 Impala - yellow with roses

Maybe more?....

I remember buying them for $3.88 for the unpainted ones and 12.88 for the painted ones. After Christmas, I recall them being marked down from $2 to $6 or $7. They had a lot of varieties.

Now when I see those boxes, I won't pay a lot for them because I know how cheap they originally were.

A few more to add:

69 Cougar - orange

57 Thunderbird - baby blue

62 Catalina - burgundy - brown - light green

71 Duster - green - yellow

62 Thunderbird - black

41 Ford woody - yellow - light blue

67 Mustang - white

3 minutes ago, Carmak said:

A few more to add:

69 Cougar - orange

57 Thunderbird - baby blue

62 Catalina - burgundy - brown - light green

71 Duster - green - yellow

62 Thunderbird - black

41 Ford woody - yellow - light blue

67 Mustang - white

69 Hurst Olds, not sure if the 69 442 version was ever offered in pre painted form.

The Impala came in blue as well.

The Belvedere in black w white top as well.

The Nova in yellow as well

37 Chevy Cabriolet was maroon and cream.

53 Ford custom pickup in primer grey.

66 Buick Riviera low rider in painted yellow w green panels, also blue and possibly a yellow one w white cloud like panels .

Dodge Viper in red and also black.

55 Nomad in lt blue w white top.

70 Chevelle SS in black.

72 Chevelle SS in yellow.

1932 Ford Phantom Vickie in purple.

I think that about covers it. I built a lot of these. About 18 total and I still need to finish the 37 Chevy. I have 5 AMT Masterpiece models which were kind of the assembled versions of these kits. 

Edited by THarrison351

12 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

called a 1960 Corvette but really a 1959 as I understand the AMT mold.

Nope, it's a '60, has the '60 interior pattern.  Early reissues were labeled '59.  The original (SMP) '60 kit had an opening hood and an engine while their '59 had neither.

On the other hand, for many years Revell called their multiple-piece body Corvette a '60, it has "1960" on the license plates, but it is a '59, with '59 interior detail. 

36 minutes ago, Mark said:

Nope, it's a '60, has the '60 interior pattern.  Early reissues were labeled '59.  The original (SMP) '60 kit had an opening hood and an engine while their '59 had neither.

On the other hand, for many years Revell called their multiple-piece body Corvette a '60, it has "1960" on the license plates, but it is a '59, with '59 interior detail. 

Thanks for the clarification. I have an AMT "1959" on the bench even as we speak, and the ancient Revell "1960" is rising to the top of the To-Do pile. 

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I have an AMT "1959" on the bench even as we speak, and the ancient Revell "1960" is rising to the top of the To-Do pile. 

The original (molded in red) Revell 'Vette has "1959" license plates, and stock wheel covers (with plastic tires).  The body in that kit still stands up pretty well against newer kits.  The SMP/AMT not so much.  In the past, the differences in interpretation used to aggravate me, but now it's interesting to see how different companies approached the same subject.

I was not happy with the white paint so I repainted the body green  They should reissue those kits for people that are afraid to paint their own models.  I did cheat some and use R&M of Maryland parts though on the blue one (not from the Walmart one).

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

Edited by vamach1

OK, MPC 1960 body right, but interior wrong, 1957 maybe? AMT 1960 was a 60 but labeled 1959 and very simplified. Revell 1959 multi-piece body and well multi-piece body which may have been updated to 1960 without stock wheels. I think somewhere there was a heated discussion on a forum that clarified the good, the bad and how to fix all of it.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

The original (molded in red) Revell 'Vette has "1959" license plates, and stock wheel covers (with plastic tires).  The body in that kit still stands up pretty well against newer kits.  The SMP/AMT not so much.  In the past, the differences in interpretation used to aggravate me, but now it's interesting to see how different companies approached the same subject.

I'm planning to build both kits, plus the MPC 1960 and the newer Revell '58, and display them all together.