Model Cars Magazine Forum

Realistic Speed Racer Mach V - Completed!

Art Laski

Hey Bernard!

Thanks for the comments. Like you, I originally envisioned a more late 50's style racer, like the Ferrari you mentioned. I had some Halibrand wheels that would have fit the job perfectly, but I didn't have tires readily available/ But the GT40 wheels were right there, so that's what I decided to use. Once that course was set, I had in my mind to make it rear-engined, which it supposedly is in the cartoon, but with a V8 instead of whatever magical powerplant Pops Racer installed. :) So a lot of what I wanted to borrow would have been from like a Lola T70, or like machinery. One problem, though, is that the Polar Lights proportions just weren't going to accommodate that in any realistic fashion. So I had to make it front-engined. In keeping with the era, I decided to borrow from the 427 Cobra a little to fit the vision.

I like the idea you had with the car pictured. That would be a fun project, too. Get on it!

-Art

On 10/7/2018 at 2:17 PM, Art Laski said:

Dennis,

Thank you for the comment. We met at the GNRS earlier this year at Pomona as well. I hope you can make this one. I have a flyer to the show linked on my site here: Laski Scale Specialties Vendor Shows

-Art

Yes we did and I had those K&R hoodlums with me. Too bad they live so far away, they'd be all over a show like this.

Thanks for the link. Planning on being there!

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pic, Tom. There are a bunch of full-size Mach 5's, but they are true to the cartoon. I'm going for bit of a different look!

I managed to get some paint on the body and the decals before I clear it.

1540450212801-vi.jpg
1540450201824-vi.jpg
1540450209937-vi.jpg
1540450189204-vi.jpg

I also decaled and painted the wheels and tires.

1540449770329-vi.jpg
1540449767350-vi.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Chris, the blue line is a decal. I had a vintage tire marking sheet from Speedline that had them on there that worked pretty well.

I "tinned" the interior with aluminum sheet, and I had some seat belts already made for another project that ended up not using, so they were a nice, quick addition. The dash gauges came from another project too, that I actually lost during that build and had to remake, so now that I found them, figured they would work on this.

1540761245881-vi.jpg
1540761249791-vi.jpg
1540761255302-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

Nice detail Art.  Just curious how you did all that bodywork so quickly yet it's perfect with NO ghost lines.  I've always had some issues with ghosting but have learned to minimize or eliminate altogether but I've never attempted the kind of body work you're doing here.  Amazing sir.  cheers, tim

6 hours ago, Codi said:

Nice detail Art.  Just curious how you did all that bodywork so quickly yet it's perfect with NO ghost lines.  I've always had some issues with ghosting but have learned to minimize or eliminate altogether but I've never attempted the kind of body work you're doing here.  Amazing sir.  cheers, tim

Thanks for looking, Tim! There is one area where I have a ghost line, but it is so slight that once clear and polished, I don't think it will be seen.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Is the dash pictured the kit dash? Just curious ....

It is, with some holes I drilled in it for the new gauges. I thought about wiping out the detail, since it's pretty meaningless for my purposes, but I'm running out of time. Thanks for the comment!

In the homestretch now, trying to finish it up for the show tomorrow at the NHRA Museum. The body is cleared and polished out (actually polished down, so it's not too glossy), I made a steering wheel, mostly scratched except the ring itself is the kit wheel, and completed the interior, complete with fire extinguisher from a NASCAR kit.

IMG_E0925-vi.jpg

These Pro Tech nuts are invaluable. You can get them at ScaleProShop.com.

IMG_E0936-vi.jpg
IMG_E0933-vi.jpg
IMG_0937-vi.jpg
IMG_0939-vi.jpg
IMG_0940-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Zowie! That interior came out great - well worth all the effort you obviously put into it. Despite the inherent "rightness" of the concept itself, I think the interior is what will make the model since it, as much as anything sells the realism theme. By your standards this a "quick build". You certainly know where to place the emphasis  You should have fine time tomorrow showing the results!