Model Cars Magazine Forum

I had an idea for a 55 Chevy truck build and after checking my stash, I realized I had almost everything I would need, so I went ahead and got started.

nE6BLPa.jpg

I started by cutting out the inner fenders for wheel clearance, I want this one to lay rocker.

03XjJJZ.jpg

I then added new inner fenders made out of sheet plastic.

ew171P6.jpg

With the wheel/tire combo I'm using ill need as much clearance as I can get. I had an extra set of rear fenders, so I glued each set together to get some extra width.

s4P1J0f.jpg

Then I cut out one side of each so i could have extra wide fenders.

More next time.

Edited by avidinha

Thanks for the comment. The Foose chassis 'not a bad idea, but I think I'm going to try to make my own frame with this one. With all the modifications I would have to do, i think it would be easier.

hZkYR4D.jpg

I got an extra cab from a member on another forum and made my initial cuts to make it a crew cab. This will be the 3rd time I've made a crew cab from 2 '55 cabs. At this point it probably would have been easier to have just cast the first one.

More next time.

Edited by avidinha

I drew out where I would need to make relief cuts to widen the body.

gtstKAo.jpg

After I made the cuts I lined up the cabs and glued them together.

L0f8Dxx.jpg

I like working with some of the older AMT kits, the plastic is softer and lends itself well to customizing.

More next time.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I made a little more progress. I cut the bed side open to accept the fenders and, of course, for wheel clearance.

9tP2xaU.jpg

And lined up the fenders.

FiJdszM.jpg

I'm going to do a little more body work on the fenders before I permanently attach them.

More next time.

Edited by avidinha

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted the wheels to fit outside the bed but the kit axle wasn't wide enough.

UZhTZxP.jpg

So I glued some plastic rods inside the wheels.

giG8iVM.jpg

And cut them down to the width I needed and drilled them out to accept the axle.

8ZfJvrR.jpg

Now they clear the inner bed sides.

8ukgUdO.jpg

Im going to be moving soon, so their probably won't be any more updates for a while, hopefully this mockup with the wheels and tires will hold you guys over for a while.

gEAAAHK.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm finally settled in enough that I could get a little more done on this build.

I started the body work on the cab.

1J9WJJt.jpg

I made a template on my mat so I'll know where the wheels go so I won't have to measure every time. I think I'm going to use the kit frame rails as a starting point, this kit will lay rocker with the kit frame rails.

iBLr36k.jpg

I noticed that the fenders curved downward on the inside so I did some cutting and added some flat pieces for tire clearance.

CPfQ8rO.jpgMore next time.

• 3 months later...

I started on the frame. I'm going to try to make a buck so I can heat up the square stock and curve it over the axle, we'll see how that works out.

cPMhhIE.jpg

I still have quite a bit of body work to do, but I got the first coat of primer on and I got the wheels and tires painted. The rear wheels/tires are still a little too tall so I might have to do some creative sanding to get them to fit.

CQBe2x4.jpg

I'm not sure which grill I want to use, so I went ahead and prepped them both.

kD28KYt.jpg

I got started on the interior. The interior is definitely the weak point in this kit, hopefully I can think of something to add more detail.

TjEGEkH.jpg

And I've narrowed it down to 1 of these 3 colors.

S6wRhhZ.jpg

More next time.

Edited by avidinha

Very nice conversion. Either grill would look good, it would depend on what you like. I'm the type that would use the '55 grill since that's the hood you're using. I like the look of the '57 grill better, but again there is the hood thing. Do what ever looks good to you. I like how you have blended the two bodies together to make it look factory. The rear duallies look great.      

• 1 year later...

It doesn't look like there's going to be any good painting weather any time soon, so I thought I'd get back on this one.

I got the rear frame rails bent and boxed in. It was my first time bending styrene with heat, hopefully I'll do better next time.

AAX67D4.jpg

I think I'm just going to raise the whole bed floor, I think a wood bed floor will look good with what I have in mind. I cut the lip off the rear of the bed floor, I'm going to have to extend it anyway and it'll be easier to make it out of one piece and it'll be easier to paint.

pjkqBIG.jpg

More next time.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:48 PM, avidinha said:

I still have quite a bit of body work to do, but I got the first coat of primer on and I got the wheels and tires painted. The rear wheels/tires are still a little too tall so I might have to do some creative sanding to get them to fit.

CQBe2x4.jpg

More next time.

@avidinha Andrew, Your work on this project is coming along swimmingly!

Several years ago, I had a similar build: '55 NoMeo

1006814224_55NoMeoFullRSideinPrimer2.jpg.7de20f7f821c04cc3bedf4ba90e31e17.jpg

And, added a '55 NASTRUCK

1401864331_55NoMeoDoubleNickelNASTRUCK.jpg.e482e77b7cf03d61cfcc56a6a2727a8d.jpg

Then packaged it up and sent it all to Dirk Joseph to finish...

1217007979_NasTruckinabox.JPG.3bcb0698a73893957ffb177f64f2a63c.JPG

with a tandem trailer with matching fenders.

@Jairus Watson followed the concept and created his version in a drawing, later published in MCM!

1907400956_55ChevNoMeo.jpg.2704b2aa0d2904747132b80d91de4923.jpg

Keep up the good work, Brother! -KK