Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT the gasser '57 chevy Ht.

ranma

I bought a copy of this kit and wanted to know  about the choptop glass. How many times was that part issued with later copies of the amt '57 chevy, And were there any  other parts that were in this kit that were not reissued in later kits.

The copy of my box is in bad shape, plus it has a huge sticker from a store called GRANTS and a price of $1.55 printed on the sticker. I bought the kit for $10.00  The side moldings sanded off.1 gassser.jpg

Edited by ranma

Your kit is from 1967, it's the second issue.  The parts are exactly the same as the first issue, as are the decals.  There was an Elegance Series issue after it, molded in yellow, but did not have the chopped top glass.  It did have the Keystone wheels though.  The Elegance Series kits could only be built as they were pictured on the boxes.  All of the other parts were blocked off in the tool and not included in the kits.

Then there was another Gasser issue, in a different box and with a cardboard dragstrip starting line display base included.  That one had the custom wheel covers put back in, and the Keystone wheels removed.  Alongside that (they're both shown in the 1969 catalog) was the first Pepper Shaker issue.  The box art is different from the currently available one, it had a green car with a black roof.  Same parts as the Gasser issues, but different decals and no display base.  

The second Pepper Shaker issue (turquoise car on the box, 1971 if I remember right) had the more elaborate custom parts removed, including the chopped top glass.  None of those parts ever got put back into the kit again.  A few years later, the cut lines on the underside of the roof were eliminated.  The lines on the inside of the roof pillars might still be there though.  

The body had all of the trim removed by who ever had it before me, Otherwise it was un built. With all the chrome trim gone I decided to build as a old nascar race car.  Any idea on what those extra parts are worth?  Trade wise that is(IE) chop top glass ect that wasn't used.

I looked for many years trying to find the chopped top glass and finally found a couple of them at a model show/swap meet.  Now if I could just find a complete set of the stylized custom pieces I would be in hog heaven.

EDIT: PM sent

Edited by TarheelRick

On 10/28/2018 at 1:08 PM, unclescott58 said:

I'd like to see one of these '57 Chevys with the chopped top built. Looking at the instructions above above, it does not look like an easy build at all. Has anybody here done one? 

I am doing one, but it is not finished yet. Top chop is, but not the remainder of the bodywork.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:12 AM, Jantrix said:

Round2 spent a lot of time and money on restoring the custom pices to the '53 pickup. Seems this kit would be a no brainer for the same treatment.

The 53 Pickup only lacked the hubcaps. You may be thinking of the 36 Ford. That said, most of the custom bits should be still in the 57 kit, just an opening of the gates away.