Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

15 minutes ago, da_ashman said:

Im IN! This will be my build, Nissan Skyline 2000 GTR 1971. This is a great kit by tamiya, comes with period correct "tuner" modifications like wheels & webber carbs etc. Might paint it up like a classic race car too.

I'll take #19

124_Nissan_Skyline_2000_GTR_KPGC10_Hakosuka_Street_Custom__24335_52304.jpeg

Rob another interesting point about painting the vehicle.  This is what the rules say. 

Advertising is restricted. Any sign writing or stickers,
including Charity involvement, should be discreet and in
period style and confined to the bodywork to the rear of
the front doors. The glass areas, front wings, and bonnet are
reserved for the crew and team names and the front doors are
to be kept clear for the competition number panel and any
Organisers’ publicity material.

After much consideration I'm going to enter the Revell 68 Beetle. It's simple, rugged, and darn near indestructible and with some mods can make a respectable offroad racer. I'm thinking a warmed up flat four with big bore aftermarket cylinders and dual port 1600 heads, Weber carbs, maybe even a centrifugal supercharger if I get really crazy. I'm going to lift the suspension a bit and radius the fenders to get some more aggressive tires on it and I've found s source for some resin aftermarket wheels that are very period looking. I'll announce a number once I go through my decals, I have several sets of roundels somewhere. 

20181030_202004.thumb.jpg.bbf14f1f05cf025faee761e74e783be6.jpg317f3a5b703e6d72f644eb5adc1a34b2.jpeg.9210c7310055559c8173492de6d4bd38.jpeg2202.600x600.jpg.2f7748ebb0696c5a6a3800c1061e7a37.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

13 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Rob another interesting point about painting the vehicle.  This is what the rules say. 

Advertising is restricted. Any sign writing or stickers,
including Charity involvement, should be discreet and in
period style and confined to the bodywork to the rear of
the front doors. The glass areas, front wings, and bonnet are
reserved for the crew and team names and the front doors are
to be kept clear for the competition number panel and any
Organisers’ publicity material.

Pete, that was a kettle of fish I wan't planning on dealing with. The reason being is that this CBP already has a ton of restrictions by it's very nature. I just didn't was to limit it further, especially artistically. So lets go with - if I didn't add it to the rules on the first post - we're not going to worry about it. Sound okay with everyone? 

Second - when selecting a number, please try not to duplicate a number already picked. Later today I will start the roster and I will include the car number, in the second post of this thread for easy perusing.

Some really great cars being selected. Really looking forward to this.

39 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Pete, that was a kettle of fish I wan't planning on dealing with. The reason being is that this CBP already has a ton of restrictions by it's very nature. I just didn't was to limit it further, especially artistically. So lets go with - if I didn't add it to the rules on the first post - we're not going to worry about it. Sound okay with everyone? 

Second - when selecting a number, please try not to duplicate a number already picked. Later today I will start the roster and I will include the car number, in the second post of this thread for easy perusing.

Some really great cars being selected. Really looking forward to this.

I'm good with that.  It's just good to deal with is up front. 

Rob, what is this "race of gentleman" I for sure don't qualify. I'm sure others here don't either. LOL.

Are there official rescue/sweep vehicles? Maybe I'll do something like that. Maybe I'll see what I can find for an entrant other wise.

Tim

November 1st. If you haven't already, feel free to begin building. Post often and help keep your fellow builders motivated.

18 minutes ago, Tim H said:

Rob, what is this "race of gentleman" I for sure don't qualify. I'm sure others here don't either. LOL.

Are there official rescue/sweep vehicles? Maybe I'll do something like that. Maybe I'll see what I can find for an entrant other wise.

Well I'm giving you folks the benefit of the doubt on the "gentlemen" issue. Racers generally help each other. And/or get help from locals. Keeping local cash on hand is a good idea. As for official rescue, not that I have seen on my many Google image searches.

Image result for peking to paris stuck in mud

6 hours ago, Jantrix said:

November 1st. If you haven't already, feel free to begin building. Post often and help keep your fellow builders motivated.

Well I'm giving you folks the benefit of the doubt on the "gentlemen" issue. Racers generally help each other. And/or get help from locals. Keeping local cash on hand is a good idea. As for official rescue, not that I have seen on my many Google image searches.

Image result for peking to paris stuck in mud

ERA supplies support/follow vehicles as well as pit crews. In a couple of the videos it shows the ERA crews helping pull stuck cars out of the sand/mud as well a doing rebuilds at the nightly stop overs. I've also seen videos from past races where local shops have spent the night helping racers out by manufacturing/repairing parts. 

If this link works, a video of some of the ERA support crews helping out some participants. 

Edited by Jhedir6

On 10/30/2018 at 7:39 PM, da_ashman said:

Im IN! This will be my build, Nissan Skyline 2000 GTR 1971. This is a great kit by tamiya, comes with period correct "tuner" modifications like wheels & webber carbs etc. Might paint it up like a classic race car too.

I'll take #19

124_Nissan_Skyline_2000_GTR_KPGC10_Hakosuka_Street_Custom__24335_52304.jpeg

Great choice Ashley!

On 10/30/2018 at 10:18 PM, Fat Brian said:

After much consideration I'm going to enter the Revell 68 Beetle. It's simple, rugged, and darn near indestructible and with some mods can make a respectable offroad racer. I'm thinking a warmed up flat four with big bore aftermarket cylinders and dual port 1600 heads, Weber carbs, maybe even a centrifugal supercharger if I get really crazy. I'm going to lift the suspension a bit and radius the fenders to get some more aggressive tires on it and I've found s source for some resin aftermarket wheels that are very period looking. I'll announce a number once I go through my decals, I have several sets of roundels somewhere. 

20181030_202004.thumb.jpg.bbf14f1f05cf025faee761e74e783be6.jpg

Ugh, you beat me to it Brian!!

Thanks Brian, but I'm going to go with a Sunbeam Tiger as my build. They've got a pretty good rally heritage, and the small v8 should supply sufficient power. The kit is not the greatest, but with all of the mods I can make it should be fun.

39 will be my number.

Tiger Kit.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

1 hour ago, MeatMan said:

Thanks Brian, but I'm going to go with a Sunbeam Tiger as my build. They've got a pretty good rally heritage, and the small v8 should supply sufficient power. The kit is not the greatest, but with all of the mods I can make it should be fun.

39 will be my number.

Tiger Kit.jpg

I bought the Tiger first and was going to do it and had a good plan worked up and then the idea of a Baja Beetle started percolating in my mind. The Tiger will make a worthy racer though.

8 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Rob, put me down for number 2 if it's not already taken.

Done

11 hours ago, MeatMan said:

39 will be my number.

Excellent choice. Glad to have you.

OK, I'm in. I wanted to do something in the classic era, but just slightly out of the norm. So, I am doing the 41 Plymouth. Lots of people were running 30-40's Chevy's and Fords, so Plymouth seemed like a good plan. I will have mock up later today. As for my number, I will go with #41

IMG_0256.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

I was originally going to go with a 49 Ford, but I opted to use a kit I already have. 

That said, while I was researching it I found this about one entered in the '09 P2P. It's got some good info for you guys with older builds.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2009/04/Shoebox-Journey---1950-Ford/1794559.html#PhotoSwipe1538760499040

On mine I got a little done. While trying to mock it up I noticed that there was interference with the tire and the piece supporting the front suspension.

I realized that AMT had molded in a column to support the upper A-frame that could be trimmed. After trimming it, the oversized tire fitted well within the fender.

I also found and modified a larger rear axle, as the stock one looked so small I didn't believe it would hold up in any kind of endurance event. Bigger axle housing = bigger bearings & bigger axle shafts.

Tiger Front Suspension Trim.jpg

Tiger Front Wheel Fitment.jpg

Tiger Rear Axle Replacement.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

3 hours ago, LouO said:

Are minor "lifts" permitted to accommodate larger than stock tires?
which leads me to my next question..
Can the fender/wheel well openings being cut/expanded to allow for larger tires? 

As long as you don't change the type of suspension, say leafs to coilovers, a slight lift is fine. Same with the fenders, as long as they remain their original material you can modify them. Rob has stated that as long as there isn't a specific rule against a mod then it's allowed. 

22 hours ago, LouO said:

Are minor "lifts" permitted to accommodate larger than stock tires?
which leads me to my next question..
Can the fender/wheel well openings being cut/expanded to allow for larger tires? 

19 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

As long as you don't change the type of suspension, say leafs to coilovers, a slight lift is fine. Same with the fenders, as long as they remain their original material you can modify them. Rob has stated that as long as there isn't a specific rule against a mod then it's allowed. 

Yep. Guys a Google search on ACTUAL race cars will probably answer most questions.

Image result for peking to paris chevy