Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

The 67 1/12 vette is finished, after 3 years, I remembered why I put it on the dead shelf was I needed a front grill, but after looking on eBay for someone parting one of these out I never could find a grill only so I decided to make one by cutting down a grill from an old 1/8 65 I had for parts, I also cut away the body from behind the grill so the radiator can be seen, my only gripe with this car is the red plastic bleed through the hood, but the body itself didn't do it, I can't remember what I did different between the two. As for the chrome I decided to black everything out, this is the first time I used alclad II black chrome, I figure with some practice it can look very convincing. I snapped a pic of it sitting next to my thrift store 67 corvette I'm currently rebuilding. All in all I'm glad to finally get this one done, big thanks to Snake45 and everyone for the motivation

IMG_20210416_013916844.jpg

IMG_20210416_014005293.jpg

IMG_20210416_014252493.jpg

IMG_20210416_014315550.jpg

IMG_20210416_014413403.jpg

IMG_20210416_014334622.jpg

IMG_20210416_014342826_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210416_014558680.jpg

IMG_20210416_014531391.jpg

IMG_20210416_014658424.jpg

IMG_20210416_015236911.jpg

IMG_20210416_022304622.jpg

NZAnglia, looks fabulous! FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Daddy209, also looks fabulous! SECOND COMPLETION GOTTER DONE! 

Anglia, If you haven't worked on the Camarobot in 2 years, then it's eligible, provided no active participant objects. We allowed an airplane in Round 3 (it didn't get finished). I've got a couple airplanes on the SOD myself I might try to slide in at some point, if I ever get motivated to work on them again. 

Two completions, a new entrant, and a new page, an update is definitely called for: 

ROUND 11: FINISH DATE JUNE 30, 2021

Misha: Chopped T coupe Altered

Ksnow: '77 Camaro

Nzanglia: '65 Mustang modified FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Whosurdaddy209: 1/12 '67 Vette SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

#1 Model Citizen: '56 Chrysler

Tom Geiger: '53 Studebaker Gullwing

Tim J: Ferrari Testarossa

Pat Minarick: Dodge Magnum

I'll have my own declaration up as soon as I can find the thing and shoot a couple pics. 

Edited by Snake45

Okay, I'm tagging in with this '70 Vette promo. Dunno how long ago I bought it off eBay, but it was several years, and I know I haven't worked on it since 2019 at least. Got it super-cheap (maybe $5? I don't remember) because there was a huge crack/break in the hood (molded into the body). 

I've fixed lots of cracks like this before and I thought No Sweat. Just finagle it back into place and hit it with some hot liquid cement, right? Of course it didn't work out that way. It dried out of place, with about a .002" or so "step" where it should have been smooth. And of course the plan was to polish the gorgeous metallic blue plastic, not paint it, so it had to be perfect. So I'd sand and polish it for a couple evenings, and it wouldn't look good enough, and I'd put it aside for a few months, and then try again, and it still wasn't good enough. 

So the other day I realized I was tired of looking at the thing sitting on the work table in my man-cave/TV room, and took another look at it, and maybe my standards have lowered a little or something, but it didn't look as bad as I remembered. So I just spent a couple minutes going at it with some Trim nail sticks and it looks workable. So I'm gonna try to GITTER DONE

You can just see the crack in the forward right part of the hood, ahead of the bulge, in the pic below. (The crack didn't show up at all in two other pics from a similar angle.) The dust on the trunk in the rear-angle pic will attest to how long it's been sitting. As you can see, nothing else has been done to the thing at this point beyond the work trying to heal the crack. Should I paint the interior black, or tan? 

70VetteDkBlue001.jpg.db46c1f9e563a47825083fe173d94f5e.jpg70VetteDkBlue005.jpg.c99faf8c4266480497286e01d82b190e.jpg

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Should I paint the interior black, or tan? 

70VetteDkBlue001.jpg.db46c1f9e563a47825083fe173d94f5e.jpg70VetteDkBlue005.jpg.c99faf8c4266480497286e01d82b190e.jpg

Tan, I always feel like so much detail is hidden in black interiors, also it's a coupe so the interior doesn't have to be super detailed to look great, plus tan always looks good with blue

Edited by Whosurdaddy209
Wrong word

So this is the Limited release Takara Tomy DMK 02 Model Kit of BUMBLEBEE from the Michael Bay franchise of Transformers. When it first came out I had to buy it and the OP kit as well.

Like most Gunpla Type of kits it is "Moulded in Colour" with prepainted details on the Yellow parts. Badly Painted.  The internal frame comes as a pre assembled unit nut the nubs marks were terrible, All the internals are the same colour. A sort of coppery metallic silver and if assembled as is just doesnt look very convincing.

So the First thing I did was to disassemble the frame and repaint and detail the a little and reassemble.

Then I took the next layer of parts and base coated them in Silver and started to detail them.  It was at this point we shifted house ( around 2 years ago )

Queue forward to today and thats where Im jumping off from.

Transform and Roll Out!!!

IMG_20210417_125448.thumb.jpg.23a9d57efbd4c3bc153698d6d19f37cd.jpgIMG_0835.thumb.JPG.a69e8bd1197e3faeab358c3c55c443f7.JPG

IMG_20210417_125247.jpg

IMG_20210417_125343.jpg

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_20210417_125944.jpg

Edited by NZanglia

4 hours ago, NZanglia said:

I'm struggling to see the red in the hood, But what I do see is the stunning paint finish and the Gold? shade on the hood scoop is super sweet. Loving it.

Thanks, I wanted to do a subtle stripe, the decal sheet only came in black or white, the body color is dark driftwood metallic, and the stripe is medium charcoal grey, both dupli-color.

19 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The wood work looks good to me! I do the same brush technique. The whole time I’m doing it, I’m thinking I’m screwing it up! Even when I’m finished it looks bad to me! Then I walk away, refocus and the next day it looks good! 

Thanks,  this is what has stopped me from finishing this. I came out fine , just hope the edges look half way clean after clearing it.

1 minute ago, Pat Minarick said:

Thanks,  this is what has stopped me from finishing this. I came out fine , just hope the edges look half way clean after clearing it.

It will. Yours looks good because you know enough to paint past the panel edge. Many guys don’t and their grain just looks like someone scribbled on the panel! 

I tape the two edges and paint onto the tape. 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

It will. Yours looks good because you know enough to paint past the panel edge. Many guys don’t and their grain just looks like someone scribbled on the panel! 

I tape the two edges and paint onto the tape. 

I did when I was using paint, but the final color is a glaze kind of like an ink. I will tape it of and dull cote it . Then use some alcohol to clean up the edges before I clear it.

26 minutes ago, RomanII said:

Wood panels and framework look great.  You may be planning on it already,  but I would recommend chrome door handles.  I look forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks. I already wood grained them , was trying to hide them a little. If they were chrome it would be the only chome on the car.