Model Cars Magazine Forum

CA fires Horror

NYLIBUD

I don't really watch the news anymore,cause it's too depressing.But I have a friend who was directly in the line of fire,no pun intended,of these horrible Forrest fires that are burning everything in N.CA.He lost his house,and complete garage,which held some rare muscle cars,including a big block 65 "Real" Cobra,and a 69 :(Hemi Road runner:(.Burnt to a crisp..Ok put that sad fact aside,as long as he or anyone in his family was not hurt or killed.Although he's obviously in shock and trying to figure out what he plans to do..Then I read about all these campers that were caught behind the fire lines,and many of they're remains are simply going to be impossible to identity..With workers sifting through the ashes for any type of remain..Well Good luck to all out west.And seriously,Stay alive.

I'll bet there are a lot more irreplaceable classics that have been lost that we just haven't heard about yet.

I was bummed out to hear that guitar builder Wayne Charvel lost his home and shop, and all of his original tools and forms and everything he used to make his original iconic guitars. 

Lots of musicians affected too. Neil Young, Fred Durst, Flea. 

But at the end of the day, cars and guitars and possessions and stuff are not as important as the people who have been lost. 

We dealt with this a couple of years ago on a smaller scale here in Alberta. The Fort McMurray fire was pretty frightening, and Fort Mac is still recovering. And it was nowhere near the scale of the Cali fires.

The last week has been a sobering experience.  The camp fire is the second fire in the span of a year and half that could have taken out my house and my sisters house.  They were considering evacuating us on Sunday because of the wind patterns. The fire started on Thursday and I live more than 30 miles from where the fire started.

The scope of the camp fire is staggering with almost 10,000 houses lost. Almost everyone I talk to has been affected directly or indirectly. 

My sisters pool guy didn't lose his house but lost 8 or 9 clients because they lost their houses. My niece works for property management and they lost that many properties for the same reason.

Its going to take five or more years to rebuild.  It also depends if the insurance companies will continue to insure people or if people will be able to afford the new insurance rates.

Its hard to wrap one mind about the prospect of losing everything and having to start over. Yeah insurance will replace things but their are things that are family heirlooms that can't be replaced. There were a lot of people that got out with the clothes on their back. No time to grab anything.

Forecast for Wednesday is heavy rain and possibly showers off on for a week. The good is it will help with the fire  and clear the air of smoke(currently air quality is deemed hazardous for everyone). The bad is the potential for flooding.

It does suck.  Hurricane Sandy was 5 years ago and there are still areas in NJ that haven't been rebuilt.  There are people who are out of their homes and insurance hasn't settled properly yet.  A relative of mine owns a bay front house at the shore that received some damage, but survived intact.  Now they cannot sell it for half of what they paid for it a dozen years ago!

Best wishes to everyone in California.  It's a horrible thing when entire towns get burned to the ground.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:54 PM, NYLIBUD said:

I don't really watch the news anymore,cause it's too depressing.But I have a friend who was directly in the line of fire,no pun intended,of these horrible Forrest fires that are burning everything in N.CA.He lost his house,and complete garage,which held some rare muscle cars,including a big block 65 "Real" Cobra,and a 69 :(Hemi Road runner:(.Burnt to a crisp..Ok put that sad fact aside,as long as he or anyone in his family was not hurt or killed.Although he's obviously in shock and trying to figure out what he plans to do..Then I read about all these campers that were caught behind the fire lines,and many of they're remains are simply going to be impossible to identity..With workers sifting through the ashes for any type of remain..Well Good luck to all out west.And seriously,Stay alive.

There are LOTS of classic cars for sale everyday online. All makes, models, options, etc. BTW a Cobra is a sports car and not a muscle car as it only has two seats.

5 hours ago, High octane said:

There are LOTS of classic cars for sale everyday online. All makes, models, options, etc. BTW a Cobra is a sports car and not a muscle car as it only has two seats.

Um yea ok,a sports car,muscle car,whatever you want to call it.The point being,that it was an $850K car that was destroyed from these crazy fires.But as I also said,cars don't mean anything,as long as he's safe along with his family.

8 hours ago, High octane said:

Really?! Many people lost everything, some even lost their lives and you're splitting hairs over whether it's a "muscle" or "sports" car and how many are for sale? At this time - who cares?

Please try to show a little more concern and respect for others on their situation at hand.

I'm sorry, but that response ticked me...

Seemed a bit insensitive. 

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Really?! Many people lost everything, some even lost their lives and you're splitting hairs over whether it's a "muscle" or "sports" car and how many are for sale? At this time - who cares?

Please try to show a little more concern and respect for others on their situation at hand.

I'm sorry, but that response ticked me...

Seemed a bit insensitive. 

Ok first I agree with your statement 100%..I'm sorry,because I posted this thread regarding a specific friend of mine who lost so much,but also thanking GOD that he,and his family are healthy and safe,unlike so many others who weren't as fortunate.As far as the unimportant issue of the cars,I only mentioned them in this thread because my friend was just very upset over losing them.But not to be a part of the discussion regarding these terrible fires that has destroyed property,and took the lives of several people.So truthfully,I'm not sure myself,how this became a discussion about muscle vs.sports cars.

14 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ok first I agree with your statement 100%..I'm sorry,because I posted this thread regarding a specific friend of mine who lost so much,but also thanking GOD that he,and his family are healthy and safe,unlike so many others who weren't as fortunate.As far as the unimportant issue of the cars,I only mentioned them in this thread because my friend was just very upset over losing them.But not to be a part of the discussion regarding these terrible fires that has destroyed property,and took the lives of several people.So truthfully,I'm not sure myself,how this became a discussion about muscle vs.sports cars.

Actually Ron, I wasn't commenting on your statement, but someone else's, who went off topic. 

50 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Actually Ron, I wasn't commenting on your statement, but someone else's, who went off topic. 

No I understand,but maybe I shouldn't have even brought up the cars being destroyed,at the same time that so many people died or are currently missing.Good luck to all.

I cannot imagine the horror of having mere minutes to grab your belongings and leaving everything behind and then return days later to find a pile of ashes. Prayers go out to all impacted by this fire, residents, first responders and relatives of the victims.

i was with a good friend of mine over this past weekend. His son is a fire fighter who is based on the west coast and fights these types of fires. He returned from his honeymoon last Tuesday night and Thursday morning was on a plane to Sacramento to join his crew, could not imagine how his wife feels!

50 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I cannot imagine the horror of having mere minutes to grab your belongings and leaving everything behind and then return days later to find a pile of ashes. Prayers go out to all impacted by this fire, residents, first responders and relatives of the victims.

i was with a good friend of mine over this past weekend. His son is a fire fighter who is based on the west coast and fights these types of fires. He returned from his honeymoon last Tuesday night and Thursday morning was on a plane to Sacramento to join his crew, could not imagine how his wife feels!

Well said.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:08 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

It's sad, but nothing compared to the people who've been lost. The missing list was sitting at 1000. Not all of them are lost, but I'm going to bet a lot of them will not be found. 

I read that the fires ripped through the town in minutes, and people didn't have ANY time to escape. I'm afraid many of them didn't even have time to leave their houses, or couldn't outrun the fire in their cars.

I pray that many will be found displaced but safe. My heart is sad for all the victims.

I can't even imagine what it was like. And to think if you did survive. You have no place to go.

I did see on the news where this guy and his daughter filled an RV with supplies and will be donating everything, Including the RV. And he has plans to do this again with another RV.  Some really amazing people out there. 

Which got me thinking about FEMA. Here in upstate NYS when we had the devastating floods a few years back. FEMA brought in trailers for people to stay in. What happen to them? 

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

I can't even imagine what it was like. And to think if you did survive. You have no place to go.

I did see on the news where this guy and his daughter filled an RV with supplies and will be donating everything, Including the RV. And he has plans to do this again with another RV.  Some really amazing people out there. 

Which got me thinking about FEMA. Here in upstate NYS when we had the devastating floods a few years back. FEMA brought in trailers for people to stay in. What happen to them? 

They showed up in my neighborhood. Someone bought up the vacant property in my subdivision and placed them here. Been a couple of years and no renters, just a home for mice and rats. Wish they were gone.

14 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I thought you could stay in them for free. You shouldn’t have to pay rent. Sad. Glad you are well Terry.

You could but there was a time limit after and while they eventually had to evict some or they would have stayed there forever. Most that were used were uninhabitable after eventually being vacated and were destroyed.

Most of those trailers built were never used and sat in holding lots deteriorating. Many were auctioned off and were moved to trailer parks and sold or rented out.

There were several here in the park I'm in when we moved here 6 years ago they have since been vacated nd torn down as they were literally falling apart because of their cheap construction.