Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Dodge Demon, Round 2 looking into doing a release?

GMP440

The original MPC 1971 Demon was a rare one- it was a mid-year release based on the same tool they used for the 1971 Duster. Once they did their run of 71 Demons, they took the same tool and revised it to produce the '72 Duster annual.

That same tool eventually became the '76 Dart Sport, so as far as we know, the original '71 Demon from MPC can't be brought back. As far as I can tell, the same tool was used for the following kits:

1971 Duster Annual

1971 Demon mid year Annual

1972 Duster Annual

1972 California Flash Pro Stock

1973 Duster Annual

1973 Mopar Missile Pro Stock

1974 Duster Annual

1975 Duster Annual

1975 Dart Sport Annual 

1976 Dart Sport Annual

In any case, there were small errors made when they created the '71 Demon back then- the front wheel openings were never changed from the Duster shape. Real life Dusters & Demons had different shapes here because the Demon simply used the '70-'71 Dodge Dart Swinger front fenders, which had wheel openings that were styled to match the rear wheel openings on the Swinger body. The Duster was a surprise hit for Plymouth, and started out as a Plymouth exclusive- once 1970 Duster sales became evident, Dodge dealers cried out for a Duster clone, so they simply used the Dart Swinger front clip with no changes to create the Demon for 1971. As a result, the Demon front wheel openings did not match the rear wheel openings of the "Duster/Demon" body in 1:1.

Also, I think I read here in another thread that there was something wrong with how they did the Demon hood on the '71 mid-year annual kit.

ERTL did a 1/18 '71 Duster diecast which they later revised into a '71 Demon (about 20 years ago). To my eyes, they did a terrible job revising it, the Duster looked OK (I have one), but the Demon they did had a very awkward flat shape to the front end. You would think that with relatively modern tooling technology they could get this right, but just take a look at one of those 1/18 Demon diecasts and it's evident that it is just wrong.   

I hope that whomever takes a shot at doing a '71 Demon will do it right. If it looks anything like the 1/18 diecast, then count me out. I had hope that perhaps Revell would have tackled both the 1970 Swinger 340 and the '71 Demon with all new tools, but unfortunately they might be out of play now...  

Edited by CapSat 6

Could you get fairly close swapping the front end from the Hemi Hunter onto a modern tool Duster? The taillights would be a bit of a pain but is anything else that different?

How close are the interiors?  I have not seen this tried, what else would need done? Not sure if I would have the skill set for that! Unfortunatly I had a built up Demon that I bought for $2

and sold it for just a little bit more on ebay when they started announcing that it was going to be reissued.

1 hour ago, fordf-100 said:

Could you get fairly close swapping the front end from the Hemi Hunter onto a modern tool Duster? The taillights would be a bit of a pain but is anything else that different?

How close are the interiors?  I have not seen this tried, what else would need done? Not sure if I would have the skill set for that! Unfortunatly I had a built up Demon that I bought for $2

and sold it for just a little bit more on ebay when they started announcing that it was going to be reissued.

The Hemi Hunter/LA Dart has the wheel openings too far back on the fenders.  On top of that, the styling crease just above the wheel opening is on the "soft" side, and on top of that there's no front bumper. 

The original Demon kit has issues: besides the incorrect front wheel openings, the hood is extremely flat.  MPC tooled only the upper half/outer surface of the hood, and used the existing Duster tooling for the underside.  The Duster hood is a lot flatter than the Dart/Demon hood, so the end result isn't the greatest.

I'm lucky I guess. I have a decent builder ( have had it for years )  I've no real interest in a resin version ( sorry not a resin fan )

I've toyed with the idea to sell it off every now and then  , but then I come to my senses and put it back in the pile