[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Maintenance   03/14/2019

The board is going offline Saturday, May 25th, from 9 AM PDT until 3 PM for a software upgrade. See posting in General.
Casey

1/25 AMT GMC Astro 95 Semi Tractor Cab

The 1/25 AMT GMC Astro 95 cabover tractor has been announced for reissue in 2019 as kit number 1140. Sorry, no GM Turbine engine this time around. Here's the box art:

AMT1140GMCAstro95Truck.thumb.jpg.4a6059ae52fde67bc9a71aa2f2e81dab.jpg.d67fdba92245f381af0691f28d4095ca.jpg

Edited by Casey

I built this kit when it 1st came out. I have a complete unbuilt kit in my stash. Love that box art!

Wonder if the actually found the bus mirrors.  I don't think they've been in the last few reissues.

I don’t think the bus mirrors have made an appearance since the first issue of both this and the Titan 

Cool. I'm down for a couple if both engines appear, and terrifically glad I haven't already paid the money for "rarity" of the old issue.

Spoke with one of the guys from Round 2 at a model show awhile back, and he said that they did have the turbine insert, but wasn't sure of its condition.  I suggested that they offer it as a standalone kit like their chrome sleeper.  He said that sounded like an idea worth considering IF the insert was usable.  

Let's hope that it is available again.

A.J.

This model brings back good memories! The company I work for had both the GMC Astro and the Chevy Titan in both sleeper and day Cab. Man, those where the good days.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:14 AM, maxwell48098 said:

Spoke with one of the guys from Round 2 at a model show awhile back, and he said that they did have the turbine insert, but wasn't sure of its condition.  I suggested that they offer it as a standalone kit like their chrome sleeper.  He said that sounded like an idea worth considering IF the insert was usable. 

Well, that's good to hear. I think the stand-alone idea is a good one, too, and may be easier than trying to package it all together again.

Edited by Casey

-_-

Edited by Casey

Probably the same Astro that was released several years ago: no bus mirrors & no turbine; but a decent kit, and I good frame for conversions.

This is great news. I'm gonna be a happy boy. I read on one of the online hobby shops it has a release date of April 2019. Is this more or less an accurate time frame. I love that truck.

images.jpg

I already have one without the turbine engine. The only way I'll buy another is if the turbine engine included. 

Posted (edited)

It will probably be this one with the crappy grill and they would have to fix the cab for a correct turbine  kit because when they update the kit along with the real truck  they punched recessed holes where the grab handles go if you look at one of the last Ertl Astros you can still see where the single handle went and where the  bus mirrors go. Hope they fix the wrap cab problem also but who knows in the first edition they didn’t bother to add the correct grill for the turbine engine 

A64EB9BE-6CF5-4189-8B6B-D3C105B7A2D1.jpeg

Edited by Pete68

Posted (edited)

post-5381-0-30561700-1373961640_thumb.jp

I have the original Turbine kit unbuilt. I was always curious as to what the real turbine engine looked like color wise. Hard to find much online.

I did find a pic of the real truck though & it says the grill was the same & the upper grill was actually simulated with paint.

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

Posted (edited)

-_-

Edited by Casey

Posted (edited)

Another I found online. Strange it has the smaller diesel exhaust stacks. Trailer says Chrysler on it & picture was on a Mopar site.gmc1.thumb.jpg.74289a0af12884228a345b4ab3a828d8.jpg

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

7 hours ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Another I found online. Strange it has the smaller diesel exhaust stacks. Trailer says Chrysler on it & picture was on a Mopar site.gmc1.thumb.jpg.74289a0af12884228a345b4ab3a828d8.jpg

And in the first pic a Ford pick up in the back ground!

chrysler was experimenting with turbines back then,around 64-65 they had a fleet of cars they gave to the public to test for them,didnt work too well,they didnt make it to production..it is a strange picture,looks to be in  a warehouse or loading dock of some sort.Harveyb