Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '78 Dodge D-100 Pickup

Casey

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm sure they were available as an option, if not standard, but they just seem a bit out of place on a "cheap" truck. I can't blame Round2 one bit for including them, though.

I have plenty of Firestone blackwalls from other AMT kits but I agree with Casey can't blame Round2 for including them. So glad to see these kits coming back and getting a second chance at them....

27 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Still couldn't find any pics in the brochures of one with black wall tires.

And that makes a lot of sense, right? Why show low-line, low-option, plain Jane trucks with minimal brightwork and very few options? Brochures are meant to get people interested, excited, and into the showroom to buy a vehicle, and the more options ordered, the better when the sale price is calculated. If we think of box art as being similar to a sales brochure for a real vehicle, again, it makes sense to dress the vehicle up with fancy options (like whitewall tires) and parts, provided they are actually included inside the box. 

I also learned a long time ago not to trust what is pictured in brochures. Having looked at the '71-'77 Dodge/Plymouth/Fargo B-series van brochures many times, it was clear each year most of the images were re-used or altered versions of the previous year's brochure images, rather than all new photographs of the then-new model year vehicles.

Heck, if I'm Round2, I already have a Lil Red Exrpess Truck re-issue in the works, which will include a set of tampo-printed RWL tires, even if they're not the correct staggered offset. :)

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

And that makes a lot of sense, right? Why show low-line, low-option, plain Jane trucks with minimal brightwork and very few options? Brochures are meant to get people interested, excited, and into the showroom to buy a vehicle, and the more options ordered, the better when the sale price is calculated. If we think of box art as being similar to a sales brochure for a real vehicle, again, it makes sense to dress the vehicle up with fancy options (like whitewall tires) and parts, provided they are actually included inside the box. 

I also learned a long time ago not to trust what is pictured in brochures. Having looked at the '71-'77 Dodge/Plymouth/Fargo B-series van brochures many times, it was clear each year most of the images were re-used or altered versions of the previous year's brochure images, rather than all new photographs of the then-new model year vehicles.

Heck, if I'm Round2, I already have a Lil Red Exrpess Truck re-issue in the works, which will include a set of tampo-printed RWL tires, even if they're not the correct staggered offset. :)

The real question is Casey, if they had white lines, could you see them? :blink::D

[wasn't gonna go there but,,,, ;) figured you can take a little ribbing]

Edited by Can-Con

54 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

The real question is Casey, if they had white lines, could you see them? :blink::D

[wasn't gonna go there but,,,, ;) figured you can take a little ribbing]

-_- (two cups of coffee today...so far, so good) :D

Slightly O.T.  I worked as a Used Car Tech in the late 1980's/early 1990's. When the boss ordered 4 new tires for a car destined for the front line, he always got the cheapest he could. They always had narrow white walls.  I still remember scrubbing the blue, protective tint from them, as I mounted them on the car.  So, As for the Dodge P/U, White Walls are just Day 2, not Showroom.  Although, having worked New Car prep as well, we had a list of "options" that were installed on every new Acura we sold. So, I'm sure that many dealers back in the day would have upgraded the tires, on factory fresh trucks, just to make them 'Spiffy" looking, and move the metal. 

Edited by alexis

On 1/31/2019 at 3:53 PM, Casey said:

Looks like a different mini-bike than the one included with the MPC '86 El Camino, too.  

The mini-bike is the c1969 Rupp that was included in the '77 Monaco annual kit.  

MPC 1-7726 Dodgeslnm.JPG

Edited by pack rat

6 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Looking forward to having this kit back. The box art is somewhat vague as to whether or not it is a long bed or short bed. I know much has been said about it being a long bed, will have to wait and see what we actually get.

The box art illustrations definitely look like a long bed...

6 hours ago, mike 51 said:

It's not likely that they would spend $$ making it into a "new"kit.....apparently they are just not interested in making anything "new"...

too bad...

I've been wondering when the day might come that we get an actual new tooling from them.

14 hours ago, mike 51 said:

It's not likely that they would spend $$ making it into a "new"kit.....apparently they are just not interested in making anything "new"...

too bad...

This is definitely the pattern we are seeing, re issues, again, better than nothing. But luckily we have Moebius. Hopefully they are looking at the interest in Dodge pickups to do the '65-'71's

2 hours ago, leafsprings said:

This is definitely the pattern we are seeing, re issues, again, better than nothing. But luckily we have Moebius. Hopefully they are looking at the interest in Dodge pickups to do the '65-'71's

One can always hope :)

I for one is going to get this new reissue as I don't have any of the older release sweptline long bed kits but only the LRE kit. I'm currently working on one to build as a 74 D100 Utiline. The prices for the old issues are way out there. I did get my hands on a set of resin cast grilles on Ebay some time ago so I can build a 72-73 look one if I want to aswell.

16 hours ago, Atmobil said:

One can always hope :)

I for one is going to get this new reissue as I don't have any of the older release sweptline long bed kits but only the LRE kit. I'm currently working on one to build as a 74 D100 Utiline. The prices for the old issues are way out there. I did get my hands on a set of resin cast grilles on Ebay some time ago so I can build a 72-73 look one if I want to aswell.

Personally, I would like them to try-out some modified reissues of '90s-2000s tooling, like a '67 Fairlane Fairlane 500 XL 427 R code (like the one in the former Otis Chandler collection) from their '66 tool (in the same time fixing the backlite and windshield issues), or a '67 Mustang coupe from the fastback tooling, with drag options.....anyway plenty more idea's where those came from...  ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, Can-Con said:

I just took a quick look through the '77 and '78 brochures, pretty well all the light pickups have white walls. White letter for the sportier models and 4X4s. The only black wall tires I'm seeing are on 3/4 ton and heavier work trucks.

Remember,  it was pretty hard to find a car or light duty pickup tire that didn't have a whitewall back in the '70s. Even the very cheapest vehicles came with them standard.

Check it out Steve. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-DODGE-Pickup-advertisement-Dodge-D100-Pickup-Truck-ad/382742254288?hash=item591d3752d0:g:ypYAAOSwol5YxCUE:rk:32:pf:0

On 2/2/2019 at 8:38 AM, leafsprings said:

Rumor has it that the new owners aren't interested in model cars/trucks.....time will tell I guess.

9 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Personally, I would like them to try-out some modified reissues of '90s-2000s tooling, like a '67 Fairlane Fairlane 500 XL 427 R code (like the one in the former Otis Chandler collection) from their '66 tool (in the same time fixing the backlite and windshield issues), or a '67 Mustang coupe from the fastback tooling, with drag options.....anyway plenty more idea's where those came from...  ;)

Yes, they do have a lot of great kits from the 90s that could be reissued. They made a lot of good kits back then.

Just read through (almost) all five pages of comments. Certainly don't want to argue with anyone, and a lot of great opinions and historical data here. I, too, would love a new/old Dodge pickup release.

I find it interesting, though: I built several of the annuals many years ago and remember them fondly. I would love to build one (or more) again. And, I'm not too concerned about correct engine/trans options (though I appreciate those who are), but I also tend to replicate something more or less realistically. I think it would be great if a new release would have realistic wheels and tires. But: I LOVED those totally wrong  too-big & too-slick wheels and tires for the 4x4!  Ok, ok, I was like 12 at the time I first/last built them...but that's a little part of it for me. Make something that looks cool, is fun, and sparks a little of what excited me about model building when I was young. Is that so bad?

So: New kits should include parts for realistic recreations. And reissues of old kits should, if possible, include a little throwback stuff for those of us that remember building them when they were new and we weren't so smart & sophisticated.

Just my opinion. :-)

On 11/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, Rob Hall said:

My Dad had a '79 short bed fleet side Power Wagon Prospector 4x4. Silver green inside and out.  Had the quad rectangular stacked headlights.  I learned to drive in that truck in the mid 80s.  It had a penchant for stalling on left turns (which accounts for a phobia I still have about left turns).   Bouncy ride, numb steering with a lot of play, but still fun in it's own way.    It looked like this but green instead of blue..even had the Ram hood ornament. 

My wife had a '76 Volaré which stalled on left turns. It turns out it was a defective carb, something with a wrong jet.They knew about it yet charged me for several tune ups that never improved anything. The local Gulf service station told me to fling the carb in the bush and go buy a new one from the Chrysler dealer. He said they normally don't stock carbs just kits but they stock carbs here as they know aboutthe defect. Sure enough, the new one had a plug in the body where they had drilled a hole to get to that jet. Never had a problem after that.

19 hours ago, landman said:

My wife had a '76 Volaré which stalled on left turns. It turns out it was a defective carb, something with a wrong jet.They knew about it yet charged me for several tune ups that never improved anything. The local Gulf service station told me to fling the carb in the bush and go buy a new one from the Chrysler dealer. He said they normally don't stock carbs just kits but they stock carbs here as they know aboutthe defect. Sure enough, the new one had a plug in the body where they had drilled a hole to get to that jet. Never had a problem after that.

I had my old 85 Mercedes stalling on left hand turns aswell but that was down to a loose nut on the earthstrap between the engine and inner fender:lol: