Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1966 GTO 2/10/19

Metalmad

A few more of the interior with the side panels glued in and the dash finished. Next I will be getting the steering wheel detailed and the column attached to the dash. I have also started on scratch building the rear suspension springs since the kit supplied springs just look awful.

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

Great job Seth.  Your work is quite spectacular.  No one has asked so I thought I would.  The backs of your white bucket seats show some beautiful "chrome" trim pieces.  HOW did you do those?   They're fantastic.   cheers, tim

Tim I actually sanded off the molded in seat back trim and then scribed where I had removed the molded in trim then I laid down and glued some round styrene to replicate the trim and  then I laid down the chrome foil over the newly installed seat back trim. And Tim thank you for the kind comments it is greatly appreciated !

Edited by Metalmad

This build is coming along very nice. I really like the use of the white vinyl interior pieces. The body color that you chose, and that interior color are a perfect match. 

I just ordered some redline tires, and some other Mopar tires, and rims from Joseph. I held off ordering the M/T tires you are using. But I am definitely going to be getting a set after seeing them on your Poncho. 

Could you show a pic of the suspension showing what you did to fit the rear M/T tires? 

Edited by Brutalform

Tom thank you for the encouraging comments on this build ! and when I get finished fitting the suspension components  and the assembly I will gladly shoot some pictures and explain to you how I modified the rear to get the M/T tires to fit.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally was able to get some bench time in recently so here is a small update. I really wasn't liking the way the exhaust was laid out past the mufflers so I removed the tail pipes and scratch built new ones which are now relocated but I still need to shorten them a bit then shoot the exhaust with some paint. I also have replaced the front and rear springs with red bead wire and now have the rear suspension components finished.

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

I have finished up the exhaust system which is now painted except for the inside of the pipe tips. I have also started to scratch build the Ram Air system which will take a little time to engineer so I will be posting slowly on the progress of the Ram Air system.

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

Here is a small update on the Ram Air which I have the pan almost done. I have added aluminum rings on the bottom of the pan  where it will sit on top of the carbs to give it some support and I have also added the wall  around the perimeter so next will be the outer flange and then foam to seal the Ram Air on the under side of the hood.

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

Thank you Dann & JC ! and yes the rear tires came from Fireball and after looking at the pictures and examining the fitment on  top of the carbs I noticed that the back of the belly pan was not to scale so I  shorten the belly pan a bit. I will post pictures of the shorten pan later which now it looks much better.

A small update.

I have finished up the ram air pan with the exception of getting it painted and the foam that will seal it to the bottom of the hood. Im planning to go to Michael's & Joanna's this weekend to see if I can find something to replicate the foam.

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

13 hours ago, Deuces said:

I was wondering if the intake from the AMT '62 Catalina SD 421 fit the Revell GTO long block.... I'm just thinking out loud here... Nice build by the way!!!... ☺️

I have used the early 3x2 set up from the AMT '64 GTO kit on the '62 Cataline engine and they fit perfectly. I know that's different but I think with very little finessing the 2x4 set up should work.