Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1966 GTO 2/10/19

Metalmad

Well I have finished the Ranch Wagon so my next build will be the Revell 1966 GTO which will be painted a blue but not sure what shade of blue  yet with the interior being white which are basically stock colors. I will also be using the Fireball Mickey Thompson tires on the rear and I will also attempt to scratch build the ram air system but I would like to find some better rochester carbs so if anyone has a source for them please chime in.

fullsizeoutput_5d5.jpeg

IMG_1975.JPG

Edited by Metalmad

Oh ok...........I take it you're looking for carbs that would fit the 3x2 setup? Joseph right now I think only has the four barrel carbs as I just got a set for my Corvette resto.

I can't think of a more detailed set other than modifying what's in the kit. That's been another pet peeve of mine for some time with kit makers. Literally giving you blobs for carburetors instead of expending some effort to put more detail in them.

Got a little work done on the interior with some paint on the seats and door panels but I still need to detail the the window cranks and handles plus the trim on the front seats plus I used embossing powder for the carpet and I also have the engine block painted and the transmission painted . I have also started detailing the dash which I have cut aluminum tubing for the gauge bezels but I still need to get more aluminum tubing for the two gauges in the middle.

IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

David the tri power  carbs came with the kit but I'm on the hunt for a better tri power set up since they are not that detailed and yes I will be installing the the kit supplied center console that is factory to the GTO.

Edited by Metalmad

Seth, the white plastic tri-power carb set in your photoshould look fine once you cut them apart, although it looks like the throttle plate section of the carbs was cast onto the manifold rather than the bottom of the carbs.

The '66 tri-power carbs were a little smaller than the '67 tri-power carbs, and once you get them detailed (not much to the 2BBl Rochesters) with fuel lines and throttle linkage, they will look fine.

Although you may want to ask Bill where he got the carbs for the tri-power on his '59 Impala...or was that a '58 ...

59 minutes ago, blunc said:

Although you may want to ask Bill where he got the carbs for the tri-power on his '59 Impala...or was that a '58 ...

Mike, the Tri-Power setup I used on the '58 Chevy was out of the '59 which is quite nice with some detailing added. The difference in the '59 is that there are internal filters (something I forgot about), but it looks to be similar to what GM offered throughout those years.

In my experience with Rochester 2BBl carbs, the main external difference (that would be noticeable in this scale) is where the fuel enters the carb top section...either the front or the passenger side, and the outer two carbs.

For the most part the fuel bowl section, throttle plate section would all look the same at this scale (IMHO) and the top section has minor differences, the main visible difference in this instance is that the outer carbs don't have the "air valve" commonly referred to as the choke plate. 

Since the outer carbs aren't used during cold engine running (they are locked out of use by factory design) the only carb that will have a choke plate will be the center carb with the required choke spring and heat pipe plumbed to the intake manifold cross over runner.

13 hours ago, blunc said:

Seth, the white plastic tri-power carb set in your photoshould look fine once you cut them apart, although it looks like the throttle plate section of the carbs was cast onto the manifold rather than the bottom of the carbs.

The '66 tri-power carbs were a little smaller than the '67 tri-power carbs, and once you get them detailed (not much to the 2BBl Rochesters) with fuel lines and throttle linkage, they will look fine.

Wasn't '66 the last year of the tri-power option on the GTO?   '67 was when they went to the 400. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Wasn't '66 the last year of the tri-power option on the GTO?   '67 was when they went to the 400. 

Yup. The only GM model 'allowed' to have triple carbs after 1966 was the Corvette. Seems as though the insurance companies were starting to breath down the carmakers neck. GM passed an edict that starting with the '67 model year, their cars were not to produce more than 10 hp per pound or something like that. If a car weighed 3000 lbs, it was not to have more than 300 hp if that's the reasoning. Some may have gotten around that (think Baldwin-Motion for instance).

EDIT: There was also an edict about cars not having more than 400 CI engines. That must have been relaxed later as there were cars that had ore than that.  That might have been part of that 'policy' about the HP limit.

Triple carbs added to the hp rating, so it got the axe. :angry:

Edited by MrObsessive

With the weather basically perfect today (70 degrees) I was able to shoot some Royal Blue Pearl on the GTO today which I'm not a real big fan of the color blue but it suits the GTO perfectly so after the paint gases out then I will shoot a few coats of clear on her.

IMG_2052.JPG

With the Christmas Holiday here there isn't not much time to get to the bench to work on the Goat but I have had a little time to get the  front seats and the interior panels detailed. Next I will be working on finishing up the detail on the dashboard which I have redone the paint on the wood grain so I will be detailing the heater controls and the radio etc.

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG