Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

GeeBee

16 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I've tired masking like that and the tape always takes the paint off. Or ruins the finish. What tape do you use?

Regular masking tape can do that sometimes.

That's part of the reason why I rarely use it.

I think I'm safe saying that Geoff used Tamiya masking tape.

It's pretty much the gold standard in masking tape for modeling.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Although I've still got work to do on other models, for some reason I felt like doing some Bare Metal foil, so got the 57 Bel Air off the backburner, only managed to get two trim pieces done as I've been busy with other things today

FB_IMG_1591565501277.jpg

FB_IMG_1591565504356.jpg

FB_IMG_1591565507196.jpg

Very nice work Geoff. This is a really nice kit, and you're doing a wonderful job. Shame you couldn't use the PE parts for the side spears, but what you've done looks equally good. Good idea with applying masking tape either side of the trim before applying the BMF. I have a couple of questions. Can you recommend a retailer for Scale Finishes and MCW paints in the UK? And, did you say you were doing this build for a magazine article - what magazine?

5 hours ago, beeRS said:

Very nice work Geoff. This is a really nice kit, and you're doing a wonderful job. Shame you couldn't use the PE parts for the side spears, but what you've done looks equally good. Good idea with applying masking tape either side of the trim before applying the BMF. I have a couple of questions. Can you recommend a retailer for Scale Finishes and MCW paints in the UK? And, did you say you were doing this build for a magazine article - what magazine?

I don't think there is a retailer over here that stocks Scale Finishes or MCW paints, I get my paint direct from Mike at MCW 

https://mcwfinishes.com/

I've only ever tried Scale Finishes once and hated there enamel paint as it never dried and got stripped, I believe their lacquer paint is base coat, I much prefer to use acrylic lacquer, no need for any clear coat, just polishes up after it's dried up. 

The magazine I write for is Scale Modelling Now, it's an online magazine only,and well worth the £15 a year subscription, obviously I don't have to pay as I've been writing for the magazine for over 10 years. 

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/

Edited by GeeBee

26 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That looks fantastic! Just read through all five pages, excellent lunchtime viewing.

Interesting to see the use of masking tape either side of the BMF, not something I've seen before - is that to protect the paint, or give an edge to cut against?

Both really, as it gives two edges to cut up to, I've found it more useful when cutting around items like wheel arch trim, but as you also mentioned it does protect the paintwork from any accidental damage from the scalpel blade 

One side finished, had to touch up the Stainless steel trim, I'd airbrushed it using Rustoleum Stainless enamel, but it didn't like being masked, turned out ok though, so a little more, no a lot more still to do.....

20200608_151335.jpg

6 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I don't think there is a retailer over here that stocks Scale Finishes or MCW paints, I get my paint direct from Mike at MCW 

https://mcwfinishes.com/

I've only ever tried Scale Finishes once and hated there enamel paint as it never dried and got stripped, I believe their lacquer paint is base coat, I much prefer to use acrylic lacquer, no need for any clear coat, just polishes up after it's dried up. 

The magazine I write for is Scale Modelling Now, it's an online magazine only,and well worth the £15 a year subscription, obviously I don't have to pay as I've been writing for the magazine for over 10 years. 

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/

Thanks for the info Geoff. I checked out the scalemodellingnow site - that looks interesting.

Just a note about the PE "side spear trim".  They dont fill the whole area inside the trim; it's why I used BMF.

I found several fit issues and the trans mounts that have to be glued to the frame are a bear to install/fit correctly. I  also did lots of sanding to get the hood  to fit flat and finally gave up  and accepted it was the best it was gonna get.

Looking great GeeBee.  I'm sure you know this, but don't forget to paint the mesh part of the grill gold.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

I  also did lots of sanding to get the hood  to fit flat and finally gave up  and accepted it was the best it was gonna get.

I did a lot of work on the hood and bootlid before primer and paint, running a scalpel blade around the underside of both and the lip around the opening got them sitting as flush as I could get them

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking great GeeBee.  I'm sure you know this, but don't forget to paint the mesh part of the grill gold.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but that is much further down the line, I've just ordered some gold BMF to do the other gold trim parts,first time I've used the gold BMF, hopefully it's as good to use as the regular chrome. 

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but that is much further down the line, I've just ordered some gold BMF to do the other gold trim parts,first time I've used the gold BMF, hopefully it's as good to use as the regular chrome. 

I suggest you get some foil adhesive.  I haven't used the gold much but I did find that it doesn't stick as well as the regular foil. 

That said, it's looking great so far.

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I suggest you get some foil adhesive.  I haven't used the gold much but I did find that it doesn't stick as well as the regular foil.

Agreed.

The adhesive on the gold foil is pretty weak compared to the regular chrome foil.

Likewise, it's thicker than the regular, more in line with the "Ultra Bright", so it's not as easy to work with.

And be warned, the gold foil is not gold all of the way through.

It's just a finish applied to the top of the foil.

So stay away from it with any solvents or polishing equipment or compounds after it has been applied.

By the way, your project makes me want to build another '57 Chevy! :P

Stellar work!

Steve

11 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

YEP, a whole lotta chrome on a 57 Bel Air.  By the way, my first ever car was a pristine 57 Bel Air 2Dr Hdtp given to me by my Dad. Single 4BblPowerpack V8 White with red interior.

And a very nice first car, I thought I was lucky when I received my first car as a 16th birthday present, a 1969 Hillman Imp in Polar white with a black vinyl interior with a whopping 875c.c engine 

DSCF0767.jpeg