Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tried DAP Rapid Fuse?

• 3 weeks later...

i  do a lot of styrene fabricating . This stuff works great !.  similar to super glue but thicker.  it bond's pretty quick and within 30 minutes i can usually work with glued pieces and nothing comes apart. Home Depot is where I got it. I used it to rebuild this missing section of quarter panel on a  74 eldorado. It took 5 pieces of sheet styrene . It sands well too.  I use this a lot. got a bunch of  fabricating project going on and this stuff works great. In  a few hours its not coming apart.

20190106_164040.jpg

20190104_223729.jpg

74 el dorado 2.JPG

I picked up a bottle yesterday, and tried it on some sprue.  It does appear to be "all that", it's stronger in shear than super glue.  I tried it on some round aluminum rod, so far that is holding too.  I dropped the aluminum rod on the floor and it didn't break, with super glue it probably would have.  I'll break it later today to see what its limits are.  This stuff seems to be better than super glue, and better than Bondic.  The bond does seem to be better after an hour or so, than immediately after joining the pieces. 

One other thing: the screw-on cap is great.  Provided you wipe the nozzle before recapping the bottle, this product should last longer than most super glues.

Edited by Mark

I went looking for that stuff at Home Depot, but they didn't have it.:( They did have this stuff on sale though. I filed a slight flat spot on two pieces of sprue and lapped them inline for about a half inch. They are stuck together real good! I really like the applicator on this bottle too. You squeeze the blue tabs on each side to dispense the gell-like glue. It is very easy to control minute amounts coming out.  

IMG_5720.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

7 hours ago, peteski said:

That LePage stuff is just gel-type Super Glue (CA glue) - it says so right on the bottle.  Is it really any better than all other gel-type CA glues?

Probably not, and it doesn't claim to be, unlike the DAP stuff. I just broke those two pieces of yellow sprue apart. They were stuck pretty good, but nothing like good old model cement would do. I did buy some other thick super glue at the hobby shop and it was so thick that I couldn't squeeze it out of the bottle. This LePages stuff applies beautifully, and that is what I love about it! I wish I could find the DAP stuff to try. The video says it is stronger than polyurethane (Gorilla) glue and more durable than super glue (cyanoacrylate)...but what is it?

Edit: I Just looked on DAP website and they say it can be dissolved with acetone. So it is their own special formulation of cyanoacrylate (superglue).

Edited by NOBLNG

Thanks for the info Greg.  There is another  company called Cool Chem which makes Cyanopoxy glue which they claim is superior to standard CA.

You mentioned how good a bond is when using the good old model cement - that is because that cement actually welds the plastic pieces together.  A weld will be better than any glue joint which is only on the surface of the joined parts.

• 2 weeks later...