Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now THIS is ridiculous!

19 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

...what's the big deal? Helping your friends is kind of a thing here in Canada...

Nothing wrong with helping friends, but when people I've never met who are friends of friends of friends want me to drop what I'm doing in my own life to help them do something an adult should really be able to handle on his own, it gets to be a drag. 

"hey man...soandso said you have a truck and would probably help me moving my poolboy's camping trailer to the other side of town so my wife can't find it" kinda thing.

Nah. Rent a truck yourself.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Wow.

Maybe its a regional thing. I've been a truck owner for at least 20 years and I don't get asked to assist very much. Maybe once or twice a year. But then, I'd estimate that 3/4 of households around here have a truck.

And if someone does ask, and I have nothing going on, then what's the big deal? Helping your friends is kind of a thing here in Canada.

A lot of it has to do with socioeconomic status as well. My wife's family is largey a bunch of white trash meth addicts or pill heads so they rarely have functional car, much less a way to move anything so when I have had a truck or large SUV I was the first call because they didn't have the means to do it themselves. 

35 minutes ago, jefropas said:

Being a cop, I'd pull him over the second I saw him....being a Challenger fan, he'd get a second ticket...

Jeff

How in the wide world does this guy expect to get from A to B WITHOUT getting a ticket??  That load isn't exactly low profile...:blink:.  Doing that to a Challenger is a crime in itself.

1 hour ago, bismarck said:

How in the wide world does this guy expect to get from A to B WITHOUT getting a ticket??  That load isn't exactly low profile...:blink:.  Doing that to a Challenger is a crime in itself.

Forethought usually isn't a big part of idiots' lives.

I'll betcha there are permanent wrinkles in the Challenger's roof now, and the weatherstrip at the sides of the roof where the windows seal is probably shredded.

Six mattresses, sometimes more, stacked like pancakes and strapped to the roof of a sports car.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And that statement is why I usually conceal the fact that I have a truck.   B)

Well I cant conceal it as the 2 vehicles I have are an f350 and a sterling, so when I get the question (from a non-friend) immediate response is we need the the big one or little one? Big one 200 per hour little 100 per hour 3 hour minimum, they usually go way and if not throw in paid in advance. Friends is a different story, work with my schedule and I'll do it for dinner and a couple drinks.

Sometime around 2001-early '02 when I lived in Baldwin Park, CA, I got a great deal on a nearly-new king-size mattress and box springs, i.e. free. Of course, they were 35 miles away in a hangar at Whiteman Airport in Pacoima, but I had my '77 Chevelle wagon with a roof rack so I figured on a quick freeway run home. So I tied the mattress to the rack and took off. Within a couple miles I had people pointing and hollering, so I pulled off and re-tightened it. Got back on the freeway, which resulted in more pointing and hollering, so I ended up taking surface streets home (at one point encountering a swarm of bees :wacko:).  Finally got it home and unloaded, then couldn't get the mattress upstairs through the narrow stairs by myself, so I slept on the box springs until my roommate got back two days later... Sure was a comfortable bed after that.

Oh. The reason it was free? The PO had died "but not in the bed", his friend assured me.

23 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

This is the God's honest truth right here, if you're a man and own a truck you'll be the first call anytime anyone needs something moved. Even friends of your friends you don't know will somehow know you have a truck.

I have a beat up Ford Ranger long bed with 5spd. I have a standing offer that if anyone I know wants to borrow it, they're welcome to. The usual response is, "Um, that's okay." I think the third pedal scares everyone away.

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Wow. Seems like not so long ago, even all the girls I knew could drive a stick. My. how times have changed.   ;)

yep.  It is pretty tough to find a new car that even has a manual trans as an option.  When I bought my wife's car, the salesman couldn't understand why I would want a manual.  She ended up with an automatic because we didn't want to wait for a special ordered vehicle.  

which reminds me - how many of us still call it a "standard" even though it hasn't been standard equipment for a very long time?  :lol:

3 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

which reminds me - how many of us still call it a "standard" even though it hasn't been standard equipment for a very long time?  :lol:

LOL! I still find myself calling a manual a "standard"!

Interesting............when I was looking for another car after I knew my Saturn had to go, I wanted a manual but my Challenger is an 'automatic'. I have that in quotes as it's one of those 'manumatic' type trans. I have to admit I'm spoiled now as it's the first automatic car I've had since the late '90's. I've had it four years and if the time comes I need another car, I'm not sure my knees can take constant shifting anymore.

Oh well.........time marches on and some things we could do in our 20's, 30's and 40's just ain't the case now! :D 

Back when I bought my Geo Tracker in 1991, it was difficult to find the 4 wheel drive version with a 5 speed. They were all automatics on the lots, even back then!

I finally found one... a yellow GSI 4x4 convertible with air and the 5 speed!  I used it as my daily driver for years, until I took a job in Pearl River, NY.  That put me on the Garden State Parkway in NJ every day.  A ride that's an hour on a Saturday morning, is 1.5 hrs on the way to work and 2 hrs on the way home.  All stop and go.  After a few weeks of this my left hip started hurting.  I realized I couldn't continue with this, so I started driving the Crown Vic to work.  And it's been automatic cars for my work vehicles ever since! 

I still have the Tracker. It's just for fun now.