Model Cars Magazine Forum

My parent's 1960 VW Beetle

89AKurt

17 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

:wub:

DSC_0062_Fotor.jpg

13 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

Good looking truck!  :)  Looks like it'll make a nice "side project".

It sure is, compared to so many I saw, yikes!

9 hours ago, espo said:

Cover it in flat clear and call the exterior done. Just about everything else you could possible need for the interior, chassis, and drive train is readily available. Think of it as a 1:1 scale model. Bonus is that the front end was one of the best designs that GM ever offered. 

LOL  How many bottles of Dullcoat would it take?  ~raz~  I ordered a bunch of parts from LMC today.  When a friend needed the money and sold his '69 to me, at first I didn't care for it, but it grew on me.  But I really like the first generation of this series the best.

7 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Those miniature skis are possibly the best thing I've seen on MCM in ages. Lol. Love them! The techniques you've employed to create these detail parts are very inspiring. I have a drawer in which I store potentially useful junk--and I thought I was nuts for saving some textured yoghurt-lid foil and storing it in the drawer, thinking "maybe someday this trash will be useful". I see now that I wasn't the only one, except you actually found a use for it in the ski boot texturing process. Brilliant :)

Thanks for saying that.  I've thought about starting a thread, 'My Scrounged Parts Stash', for us to show off our specialized hoarding abilities.  I have one Sucrets box stuffed with springs, another with electronic parts, another.....

4 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

:wub:

Don't mind me, just testing out how to post pictures from Flickr.
46414271764_64a286f09c_c.jpgThe first trip home! by Kurt Womack, on Flickr

I made this custom gas pedal yesterday, from my metal and bolts stash.  LOL
46224075155_7154a7733d_c.jpgFirst parts by Kurt Womack, on Flickr

Edited by 89AKurt

LMC is a great outfit. In years past I have purchased several items from them and for me they are only about 25 miles away in Olathe Kansas. They are great to work with and they don't sell any junk and they will help you find anything you may need. Interesting gas pedal but I'd get the OEM looking parts they offer. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:53 PM, espo said:

LMC is a great outfit. In years past I have purchased several items from them and for me they are only about 25 miles away in Olathe Kansas. They are great to work with and they don't sell any junk and they will help you find anything you may need. Interesting gas pedal but I'd get the OEM looking parts they offer. 

They have been good for me too.  The reason I didn't get the original design gas pedal, the studs are rusted, and it wouldn't stay in place.  Check out my license plate.
33305335458_dd893a616a_c.jpgMore snow by Kurt Womack, on Flickr

I'm sort of back to working on the model.  I've had requests for copies of the cooler, so I made another one, with more correct lid corners, and will vacuum-form the handle.

IMG_9534_Fotor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 8:42 AM, espo said:

Is the license plate just the luck of the draw or did you request it. The guys at LMC would enjoy that. I love your cooler and all the other goodies you've created. 

My dad requested that number from the pile, to go onto the Mercedes Benz 190 sedan that I grew up with.  Dumb luck that LMC are the letters!

I'm actually producing copies of the cooler!  I had a request to get one, in trade for the Gunze Sangyo High Tech kit that has the photo-etched "Volkswagen" emblem (see picture of real car).  I made a new master, that is more accurate.

This is why I haven't posted for awhile.

IMG_9648_Fotor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 6:24 AM, Dann Tier said:

Your casting is sooo cool!!!, i'd pick this over 3D parts ANY day!!!!

Thanks!  Yea, I still need to be convinced 3D printing can match this.

Finally getting back on track.  I had to make a couple fill gap parts, guessed wrong on size; a carpenter's rule is to measure twice, cut once, can't grow lumber.  Not showing that screw up.

Worked on the headliner.  Had pictures and a pattern screenshot to get an idea of how to make patterns which are drafting sketch paper.  Transferred to the craft paper.  I folded over the triangle first where it was needed, then sprayed the back with water, and press fit inside.  Lots of trial and error, and trimming.
IMG_9803_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1d8b54d85ce06b154329067315470784.jpg

This can't be dry fit, worked on one piece at a time.  When I glue in, it will be do or die time.
IMG_9804_Fotor.thumb.jpg.9750a4c9c6cc37c000c2a50810ece147.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:03 AM, 89AKurt said:

Thanks!  Yea, I still need to be convinced 3D printing can match this.

Finally getting back on track.  I had to make a couple fill gap parts, guessed wrong on size; a carpenter's rule is to measure twice, cut once, can't grow lumber.  Not showing that screw up.

Worked on the headliner.  Had pictures and a pattern screenshot to get an idea of how to make patterns which are drafting sketch paper.  Transferred to the craft paper.  I folded over the triangle first where it was needed, then sprayed the back with water, and press fit inside.  Lots of trial and error, and trimming.
IMG_9803_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1d8b54d85ce06b154329067315470784.jpg

This can't be dry fit, worked on one piece at a time.  When I glue in, it will be do or die time.IMG_9804_Fotor.thumb.jpg.9750a4c9c6cc37c000c2a50810ece147.jpg

Interestingly clever!!

I glued the paper in, using Woodland Scenics 'water effects' as glue because it's better than Elmers.  Added the grab straps, and made a dome light.
IMG_9809_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ee06d440e7b08fecbd03f71af919732e.jpg

Added the last panel over the engine, bent it up so it covers the glass edge, and used a black pen and painted flat black on the tub edge because I had opened up the grill.  Started putting stuff inside, those shoelaces need to be tucked in the boots!
IMG_9810_Fotor.thumb.jpg.b5c60519c62f988b2c91fad2ffa0b3cd.jpg

Looking at it like this, looks really rough.  Just blur your focus.
IMG_9811_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1c2bbe27299a05d5da1ec48c37cc73ec.jpg

Little detail, but they all add up in the long run.  Grocery sack, made from a real paper bag that is thin paper, patterned after a grocery sack.  If memory serves me, sacks are a bit shorter nowadays, but who still has a bag from 1960 to prove me wrong?  I'm adding this, because I remember ski trips when I was a kid, my mom baked Christmas cookies, and she brought food along because restaurants cost money and took time from the journey.  Now I just need to fake the groceries.

IMG_9814_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9815_Fotor.jpg

Just a thought on goodies for the grocery bags. I'm not sure that they would be in scale, but I have seen some fruit and such in the toy section at Michael's and the same at Hobby Lobby. But then seeing what all you have done you'll probably just make your own. 

16 hours ago, espo said:

[...] But then seeing what all you have done you'll probably just make your own. 

:lol: Would not be difficult to make fruit, thanks for the idea!  My mom always laughs about the time they were on a trip, and she saw a fruit stand, slammed on the brakes and freaked my dad out from a nap.

Someone offered me a Gunze Sangyo High-Tech kit so I could use the photo-etch "Volkswagen" emblem.  That's why I am making copies of the Coke cooler.  Thanks to this forum!

IMG_9818_Fotor.jpg

18 hours ago, khier said:

I wonder why didn't you use the Gunze Sangyo kit from the beginning. It could have saved you a lot of hassle modifying the body.

Way back somewhere at the beginning of the thread, Kurt mentioned this build was for the GSL contest's "Common kit" category -- scroll down the page here for that description requirement under the "August 24, 2017" news item heading. I'm also building a version of this kit for my own entry in the contest, but I'm taking it in a totally different direction.

Edited by Russell C

18 hours ago, khier said:

"Someone offered me a Gunze Sangyo High-Tech"

I wonder why didn't you use the Gunze Sangyo kit from the beginning. It could have saved you a lot of hassle modifying the body.

Walid

As Russell beat me to it, rules is rules.  Besides that, the '56 is Oval window, the '60 has a slightly smaller but square back window than the '66.  There are also inaccurate proportions with the Gunze kits, and the taillights are really off.  I have the resin conversion, which is a copy of the Gunze body, which is modified to fit the Tamiya chassis. I should have looked into making resin copies of my '60.

I have plans for the '56, parents had one prior this car.

121.jpg

I'm at the stage, of messing with parts that I wasn't happy with, which introduces a Murphy's Law that it has the *exponential probability* that it will get more messed up.  And I keep coming up with more cargo items, I had a list, but it gets longer instead of shorter.

I'm having a problem with the engine lid, caused by opening up the grill slots, I lost the tabs that keep it from falling off (I knew something needed to be done when I removed them).  This is a part I needed to design and execute, with no idea *if* it will work.  The problem is, the body/chassis has to be glued together, then I need to glue this on with the lid open, and hope (fingers crossed) it closes.  I see the slop in operation, had to Dremel grind a recess under the interior panel so it sits up, good thing I have the paper inside; the wire *should* hold it up when closed.  I bent the wire so it *should* hold in the open position.  This *could* ruin the whole project.
IMG_9883_Fotor.thumb.jpg.7fedcce2a3a80625d1c0e324aad27edc.jpg
IMG_9884_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2ced3ca7ef681bc751ec016e7dc1cba9.jpg

On to easy stuff, making the cardboard box.  I figured some items were carried in something, fills up the space easily.  No measuring, just eyeballed the size, cut a wood block, then cut out some paper bag and folded.
IMG_9885_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1b4fa8d795e83144962f2c6e47e3356b.jpg

I made a couple of random bags from Milliput when I did the boots, one fit nicely in the trunk, so a little shaping to fit on the floor, added a few links of chain to hint at the purpose.  Made some generic looking fruit from Milliput to put in the grocery sack, trick was to not leave fingerprints in the clay, along with a generic little bag and box.  Needed to rework the lid handle with a longer wire pin, that *should* help keep it in the closed position.
IMG_9886_Fotor.thumb.jpg.74b92e94990565f15875d0d12fd3781d.jpg

Coats, not the puffy down kind that were invented after 1960, but they look like jackets, my mom knitted sweaters so that is a factor I considered.  Kleenex cut to a rough pattern, soaked in diluted wood glue, set on aluminum foil over the cargo.  I also made a blanket out of a paper napkin that had some texture (not photographed).
IMG_9887_Fotor.thumb.jpg.aaffdd3ac2c1032a689a988be3161e2c.jpg
IMG_9888_Fotor.thumb.jpg.0f4922d477ec96bc0f68eca02b6c842d.jpg

7 minutes ago, espo said:

Looks like a solar clothes drier in the back seat. I love all the stuff you have been making for the interior clutter. 

LOL  The boots are back there, over the engine, to keep them warm.

I couldn't wait to see how the last pieces look after getting painted.  I could keep going with smaller items, but this looks good enough.  Last tiny detail was melted snow on the floor mats.

IMG_9889_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9890_Fotor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, cobraman said:

I love your added detail !

Thank you.  Good way to never finish a project.  LOL

On 3/28/2019 at 6:59 PM, Dann Tier said:

This is one REMARKABLE build, bud!!!

Means a lot coming from you!

Finally, got to work on the ski rack.  I had no clue how I was going to make it, winged it all along.  First part was the cross bar, at first thought about using thick aluminum plate, but it curled like crazy when I cut strips, so that is sheet plastic.  Newspaper printing plate for the bar ends, and ski retainers.  Bent with two different pliers.  Used guitar string for some attachments, stretched sprue for other cases.  Waldon punch used to make suction cups.  Wire insulation used for nuts.
IMG_9963_Fotor.thumb.jpg.178b6d4ee88c0e0802582e6c12fcb8d1.jpg

I had no clue how the poles are held on, so designed that.  Wish the red poles were longer.  I suspect a leather strap held them on, much like what will be done for holding onto the drip rails, which will be wine bottle foil.  I used the Gunze Sangyo kit that will donate the photo-etch, as a buck, to not risk screwing up the model more.  I'm going to paint everything after assembly, because I know any paint reduces bonding.
IMG_9964_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c78fb5fac947bed251bd1904dc90fe08.jpg
IMG_9966_Fotor.thumb.jpg.8361383f8775c14c5762d2317c47801d.jpg