Model Cars Magazine Forum

My parent's 1960 VW Beetle

89AKurt

15 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

When I was in high school (late '70's) I can remember reading a book at our school's library about the history of VW. There was a chapter in the book that listed all the changes and yes, there was some sort of change each year. Some were very noticeable, some not so much.

Of the '60's VW's, I can spot a '67 for instance in a millisecond. That was the last year of the bumper 'over-riders' and the first year for sealed beam headlights. Also that peculiar little backup lamp in the center of the bumper. One distinct thing I can remember about the rear engined Bugs was the exhaust 'tweet' or whistle which was noticeable (at least by me! :P ).

1967 also had one year only door handle and engine lid. The engine lid had a unique shape and no vents on non-convertibles. 67 also had wide trim, first year for 12v system, last of the 5 lug wheels and more.

Yep, nothing sounded quite like a VW beetle :)

I'm enjoying this thread--not only are the old photos wonderful, but the attention to detail will no doubt result in an excellent model. Love the real wood skis--there happens to be a set of those old skis sitting about 15 feet away from me as I type!

Ahh, the sound still haunts my memory. I was working for a company and all our sales cars were Bugs.  Mostly late 70's early 80's. Differant ones would be rotated in every so often.  So I got to learn the "automatic-ish" transmission.  .  Lots of  zippy going around and lots of fun (never told my boss that though). 

The job of work you are doing on this is  impressive, Am enjoying the experience of seeing your build come together.

5 hours ago, Spex84 said:

[...]  I'm enjoying this thread--not only are the old photos wonderful, but the attention to detail will no doubt result in an excellent model. Love the real wood skis--there happens to be a set of those old skis sitting about 15 feet away from me as I type!

Thank you.  What bindings are on those skis?  I remember Cubco when I was a kid, but the ones in the picture look different.

2 hours ago, BERT100 said:

[...]  The job of work you are doing on this is  impressive, Am enjoying the experience of seeing your build come together.

More memories.  :D  Thanks to you also.

So, I'm now in struggle while you learn stage.  :wacko:

I'm using Testors white primer.  Then I'm using Splash paint for the first time.  I made tiny sanding blocks from Corian scrap, superglued two grits of sandpaper, and managed to get one side about perfect.  I mixed paint in the cup for the Samsonite suitcase, so at least I'll have a killer suitcase from this project.
IMG_9192_Fotor.thumb.jpg.433eea1b18a007def47901c81cf41254.jpg
IMG_9193_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4504e0de527119f99a4f716a60f1b70a.jpg

I tested the Testors Glosscoat on the blue paint next to the parts, did not craze.  I'm doing several steps, painting the underside first.  So the first pass with the gloss seemed to work.  I hate the dust specks, but I was planning to stuff with gear which should hide it.
IMG_9196_Fotor.thumb.jpg.7c3b7577dc8a0431172c22ccab18589e.jpg

I then sprayed the Splash on the top side.  I did several passes, last one with a higher paint volume.  Then disaster, it seemed to have reacted with the primer, and for some reason where the mold lines on the roof were sanded off, it really did something weird!
IMG_9197_Fotor.thumb.jpg.9b145b9c73c0625abed3e56ec35825dd.jpg
IMG_9198_Fotor.thumb.jpg.454ebf2591239d75bf5871085b9510df.jpg
IMG_9199_Fotor.thumb.jpg.594776b97a48687bb990f0486bc37070.jpg

At least the suitcase looks good.  ^_^

I just remembered the skis I was thinking of are cross-country, not downhill...checked the bindings and they don't appear to have a name brand, just leather straps and hinged metal plates!

Bummer about the paint mishap, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted--the suitcase looks fantastic.

:mellow:

1 hour ago, Spex84 said:

I just remembered the skis I was thinking of are cross-country, not downhill...checked the bindings and they don't appear to have a name brand, just leather straps and hinged metal plates!

Bummer about the paint mishap, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted--the suitcase looks fantastic.

I didn't have the problem with lighter coats.  So lots of wet sanding is due!  My dad preferred downhill.

In the meantime, I started on the ski poles.
IMG_9202_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c544227d9324c10df2936dd40a896cd4.jpg
IMG_9204_Fotor.thumb.jpg.0665b84105376891d8acdfc483f268c9.jpg
IMG_9206_Fotor.thumb.jpg.e4f6cbe9c3236d57542c8f3c3e1d25cc.jpg

Painted the Coke cooler, and the one pair of skis has red.
IMG_9207_Fotor.thumb.jpg.60c2a0999e8bc9ab92c901f48048e733.jpg

The Samsonite suitcase is done!
IMG_9210_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2650f988494ca49d997ab7b71f42e781.jpg

Now I'm entering the what-did-I-get-myself-into stage.  The 1960 Bugs did not have the twin levers between the seats, so trying to find pictures of the heater control knob was nearly impossible, so I'm looking at YouTube University.  Plenty of pictures of just the knob, but I have found two videos of what it looks like on the floor.  But now I find out this would be considered a "stale air" car, which did not have the heat tubes as the kit has, so now I need to decide if I should modify the already painted and mostly assembled engine.  Rivet counters would know.  I also found the optional gas-fired heaters on eBay, 3 different brands, but not going there!

My "oh rats" moment at 9:16 - 9:43.  :blink:

VW heater knob video.jpg

Kurt, you could always say it was a 'day two' or 'year two' car. The video says that their '62 'vert had the heat tubes. Your car being a '60 could have had them installed in late '61 as those '62's were just hitting the road. ;)

I love how this is coming together! Kinds of give me inspiration to do my Mom's first new car which was a '68 Javelin she bought in late '67. I have the model, and the even the straight six to do it..........just need the ambition and of course the time!

I was raised on aircooled Volkswagens and grew up with my dad's Beetle, also a 1960. You've done a fantastic job backdating the Tamiya '66! I have the same kit in the stash waiting for a similar treatment. Much like what you're doing, it is my intent to build a replica of his car eventually. Other members have already touched on the subtle differences between a '60 and '66 - I hope you don't mind me pointing out two more things I noticed (and you may be aware of these things already).

The decklid that appears in a few of your pictures (it looks like it might be from the Best Model '57 trans kit you mentioned) is incorrect for a '60.

Pre-'58 "W" Decklid   Post-1964 Decklid

Pre-1957 "W" decklid (left) and post-1964 decklid (right).

The Tamiya part is actually a good starting point for a '60 decklid, the most notable difference being the license plate light. In '64 the Beetle got a wider license plate light housing, the same as what is molded into the Tamiya decklid. Prior to '64 the Beetle had the smaller "beak" style license plate light, close to that which is molded into the Best Model decklid. Also, the stampings for '58-'63 decklids are subtly difference than those from '64-'66 in the area where the plate light mounts. On the later '64+ decklids the "spine" running down the middle fades out sooner than on the earlier decklids. On earlier decklids the spine actually splays out a little around the plate light. Again, the difference is subtle and not very apparent even when comparing actual full size Beetles so it should be that much less noticeable at 1/24 scale.

Pre-'1962 Taillight Assembly   Post-'1961 Taillight Assembly

Pre-1962 tail light (left) and post-1961 tail light (right).

You're on the right track with the tail lights. The 1960 tail lights are quite a bit smaller than those on a 1966, however. The alterations you made to the Tamiya parts definitely push them towards being a representation of '60 items and, at 1/24 scale, the results might be more than adequate. There is one more detail on the Tamiya body that is worth mentioning. On the center of windshield cowl there is a little nub. This is supposed to be the windshield washer nozzle which would be present only as early as '61.

I hope you don't take any of my comments as criticism toward your work. You have an excellent attention to detail which especially shows in the rework you've done to the Tamiya kit. I look forward to future updates. Keep up the great work!

Edited by lilcraigford

13 hours ago, espo said:

Your attention to details on this build is amazing. To bad on the paint deal. 

Thanks!  It will buff out.  /sarc off/

12 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Kurt, you could always say it was a 'day two' or 'year two' car. The video says that their '62 'vert had the heat tubes. Your car being a '60 could have had them installed in late '61 as those '62's were just hitting the road. ;) [...]

I was born June 1961, they had a new Mercedes 190 sedan by then, so I can't cheat with a conscience.  ;)

1 hour ago, lilcraigford said:

[...]  The decklid that appears in a few of your pictures (it looks like it might be from the Best Model '57 trans kit you mentioned) is incorrect for a '60.

The Tamiya part is actually a good starting point for a '60 decklid, the most notable difference being the license plate light. In '64 the Beetle got a wider license plate light housing, the same as what is molded into the Tamiya decklid. Prior to '64 the Beetle had the smaller "beak" style license plate light, close to that which is molded into the Best Model decklid. Also, the stampings for '58-'63 decklids are subtly difference than those from '64-'66 in the area where the plate light mounts. On the later '64+ decklids the "spine" running down the middle fades out sooner than on the earlier decklids. On earlier decklids the spine actually splays out a little around the plate light. Again, the difference is subtle and not very apparent even when comparing actual full size Beetles so it should be that much less noticeable at 1/24 scale.

Pre-'1962 Taillight Assembly   Post-'1961 Taillight Assembly

Pre-1962 tail light (left) and post-1961 tail light (right).

You're on the right track with the tail lights. The 1960 tail lights are quite a bit smaller than those on a 1966, however. The alterations you made to the Tamiya parts definitely push them towards being a representation of '60 items and, at 1/24 scale, the results might be more than adequate. There is one more detail on the Tamiya body that is worth mentioning. On the center of windshield cowl there is a little nub. This is supposed to be the windshield washer nozzle which would be present only as early as '61.

I hope you don't take any of my comments as criticism toward your work. You have an excellent attention to detail which especially shows in the rework you've done to the Tamiya kit. I look forward to future updates. Keep up the great work!

I appreciate the help, I don't have the time to read up on Bugs, so you're a quick teach.  Today at the model meeting, someone said he had a few VWs (a Thing too), and he knows all about the subtle differences.  Since I'm repainting it, that washer nub will be super easy to "correct"!  I could go crazy on the taillights, those pictures compare really well, the Best Model looks like a copy of the Gunze Sangyo kit (which I got this month), lights aren't right.  I wish there were some back pictures of my parents car, now I know, and will have to sleep on that.  Thank you, no worries, I'm my worst critic, so you're safe.  :unsure:

I *had to* modify the engine fan shroud, wish it wasn't assembled.  So now it's a "stale air" version.  This is after I ruined it with the Dremel.
IMG_9212_Fotor.thumb.jpg.a2e50aac4bd2b57d6fa5588bb0493ee7.jpg

Did I say I hate brush painting?
Semi-gloss black.
IMG_9213_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1c22c409d50487910eb48567857a19ff.jpg
That itty bitty panel, masked with velum so the fresh black would not get tape wrecked.
IMG_9214_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4d750a73377f589d9a17c12f4e1dd308.jpg

Now for my crazy moment, it's something that bugs me on most models, the grills *need to* be opened up, because again, I hate brush painting flat black in the recesses.  :rolleyes:  I started out with the Dremel, but did not get far, then a sanding stick.  Then I took an old #11 blade to the bench grinder, and then scraped dow until I could just see the slots.  I had beefed up this area when I modified the window, highly recommend if you do this.
IMG_9216_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f2a2a7d88e764df076ffcbbbb8a0be1d.jpg

Then I drilled each end of the 40 slots.  I made a wood block to support, using the bench disk sander to conform to the body.
IMG_9217_Fotor.thumb.jpg.a686c9e83b85e827d938add76f3f4866.jpg

I dragged through each slot to get a little deeper.  Then I put in a new #11 blade, and cut through, then flipped over and carved out each slot.
IMG_9218_Fotor.thumb.jpg.6d69b1afb45d1378001cee604e1da4f1.jpg

I'll go over this one more time, after my eyes reset.  It's an air-cooled engine, gotta have open slots man!
IMG_9219_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c0de7a0b5a9d68bff792c5b011bfe81c.jpg

Heater control knob, have to ditch the two lever part.  Tried to use sprue, but it melted when I turned down the shaft, twice, no matter how slow I went.  So I roughed out a piece of Corian, and started with a rough file, then used an old #11 to turn it down.
IMG_9221_Fotor.thumb.jpg.bc8f26e388649f6e74b8c35800552414.jpg

Corian has a higher heat tolerance, I love the stuff.  Used steel wool to smooth before cutting off.  I used a tiny round file to make the notches.
IMG_9222_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f1a33493e3d7640058cd211141065e80.jpg

Since the grab handles are the same color, I made those from wine bottle foil.  I had modified the steering wheel earlier.
IMG_9226_Fotor.thumb.jpg.b385e3de0fa1a626331e5b196a4accc0.jpg

So now I'm contemplating doing rubber floor mats, I see carpet kits are the rage, but I'm sure my dad would have been good with rubber mats because the Mercedes had them, much easier to clean.  I can't tell what color the interior is, have some charts.  Then of course the rack, and three more poles, four bindings, two more skis, boots, coats, gloves, maybe a bag with some chains sticking out...... :blink:

Kurt, you're a braver man than I in cutting out those air vents! VERY good tip and something I'll have to try sometime, especially cowl vents on some cars.

For the heater knob in between the seats, when you mentioned it the first thing that came to mind was this............

WatchGears-vi.jpg

TONS of watch gears I have and somewhere in that pile is a tiny gear with just the number of 'teeth' that one would need to recreate that knob. :D

Of course, the one you made looks great and it's another one of those tiny details IMO which goes a long way in getting things the way you want 'em.

2 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I was born June 1961, they had a new Mercedes 190 sedan by then, so I can't cheat with a conscience.  ;)

Lucky you! I was born just a few months later and I got to come home in a 1955 Plymouth Savoy two door hardtop! :D Mercedes was one of my Dad's favorite cars, but he wouldn't get one till many years down the road.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:45 PM, MrObsessive said:

Hmmm..........ask any early Corvair owner about those heaters! One needed to be careful with those! :o

Yes , a part time friend was the gas Heater in a Corvair . As a giant plus used up gas faster than the Engine :(  Thanx .. 

11 hours ago, lilcraigford said:

[...]

The decklid that appears in a few of your pictures (it looks like it might be from the Best Model '57 trans kit you mentioned) is incorrect for a '60.

[...]

As I go to sleep, and when I wake up, I think about what's next.  ^_^  Yea, now I see the subtle differences in the hood.  But now I'm seeing on the green car, a continuing sweep above the license plate.  Just wondering if that lid picture you posted is made in Mexico or Brazil.  Since I'm now going to ditch the resin lid that has the kit hinge glued to it, and the grill is opened, I may make a new wire hinge.

Since I have your attention, take a look at my picture at the beginning, with the ice.  I see the interior mirror is on the dash, but the other pictures it's above the windshield.  Did my dad relocate it by screwing it to the dash, or was that an option?  I also am going to use the right outside mirror and make a wire mount for the left side, looks like VW had changed their mind about that too.

1960 Beetle rear.jpg

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Kurt, you're a braver man than I in cutting out those air vents! VERY good tip and something I'll have to try sometime, especially cowl vents on some cars.

For the heater knob in between the seats, when you mentioned it the first thing that came to mind was this............

WatchGears-vi.jpg

TONS of watch gears I have [...]

You plan on building any bicycles?  :blink:

1 hour ago, afx said:

Great work here Kurt.

Thank you for your support!

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Yea, now I see the subtle differences in the hood.  But now I'm seeing on the green car, a continuing sweep above the license plate.  Just wondering if that lid picture you posted is made in Mexico or Brazil.

The decklid in my post is of a reproduction '64-'66 item from Mid America Motorworks. The sweep you describe is present on '58-'63 decklids but doesn't appear on '64-'66 decklids.

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I see the interior mirror is on the dash, but the other pictures it's above the windshield.  Did my dad relocate it by screwing it to the dash, or was that an option?  I also am going to use the right outside mirror and make a wire mount for the left side, looks like VW had changed their mind about that too.

I am unsure about the dash-mounted rearview mirror. I've never seen that before, personally. That is certainly a neat detail however! Sideview mirrors came in a few styles. The following images are scans of the 1962 Accessories brochure, courtesy of TheSamba:

1962 Accessories Brochure

page10.jpg

It looks like your parents car was fitting with mirror style "B". The Tamiya '66 has a different style on each side. Unfortunately the one that is close is for the passenger side. By the way, awesome work on the vents. You're certainly pushing the envelope of aircooled builds!

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This is great. Really appreciating all the effort you're putting in to make the car look right for the year it represents.

Love those 1:1 shots too. My first car was a '62 Bug the same color. 

Thank you very much, I've found out many people have owned at least one VW.  These pictures are just this Beetle, have a bunch of other cool shots of his other vehicles, for example:
123.thumb.jpg.96e38a0846556c54cfb391d446832e3c.jpg

2 hours ago, lilcraigford said:

The decklid in my post is of a reproduction '64-'66 item from Mid America Motorworks. The sweep you describe is present on '58-'63 decklids but doesn't appear on '64-'66 decklids.

I am unsure about the dash-mounted rearview mirror. I've never seen that before, personally. That is certainly a neat detail however! Sideview mirrors came in a few styles. The following images are scans of the 1962 Accessories brochure, courtesy of TheSamba:

[...]

It looks like your parents car was fitting with mirror style "B". The Tamiya '66 has a different style on each side. Unfortunately the one that is close is for the passenger side. By the way, awesome work on the vents. You're certainly pushing the envelope of aircooled builds!

Thanks for clarifications.  I have plans for the mirror, stay tuned.  :D

I modified the Tamiya lid, and added a light hood made from my favorite alternate material Corian.
IMG_9227_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1e2f8425f226e11db34634741c692356.jpg

I wanted to move ahead, instead of repairing the body.  I dug through my cigarette foil stash to find a good looking pattern for rubber floor mats.  I also made an engine compartment insulation panel.  I made several drafting sketch paper patterns, I like this thin paper because you can see through it.  Then I cut the foil, then sprayed with a custom mix.
IMG_9228_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ac5dd4b03423e4d99ad2af12352794c4.jpg
IMG_9229_Fotor.thumb.jpg.89b68adcb299fb5c5e2972a487a17c95.jpg
IMG_9230_Fotor.thumb.jpg.54e2a7ca29f0a1719ffed276a9234639.jpg

I glued the first one in with too thick a glue, so I switched to Elmers clear, should have listened to my little voice.  You can see my heater control knob.  :D  I also felt like a bull in a china shop painting the dash details, my shortcoming.
IMG_9232_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f485a5ccd6a25168fc6be7dfc0bff5ff.jpg
IMG_9234_Fotor.thumb.jpg.06ccfd954df409cd6bdc8de9618ad8e2.jpg

Since I don't have any pictures of the interior of this car, I took the easy route and picked a German Panzer grey.  Instead of cleaning the airbrush, I put in flat black, then sprayed through brass screen to give a fabric effect.  It's not perfect like using Scale Motorsport decals, but look at pictures and you don't see the whole surface as one pattern.
IMG_9235_Fotor.thumb.jpg.73475f570cb1fa8fc14dd70173e380e4.jpg

That's when I discovered something that drives me freaking nuts, and I'm annoyed that Tamiya did this, considering they have tiny crown nuts to use on the wheels if you don't put on the hubcaps!  The back seat has no back, are you kidding me?!?!? :angry:  You can see it through the back window, no?  Good thing it's really simple to make a piece with thick sheet plastic, with a bevel.  I guessed on painting semi-gloss black.  This is something anyone can do.
IMG_9236_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4455a888a618e6efdf9845899c07c1ca.jpgIMG_9237_Fotor.thumb.jpg.354bdcdde9664fe4f3491ecdb5f93c0b.jpgIMG_9238_Fotor.thumb.jpg.ed9b8923c093b20daf50d0e1ec76bd44.jpg

White walls, first time I have done this.  Used the drafting circle template to cut the holes in the masking tape, and carefully stuck on the washed tires.
IMG_9239_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f75470ceb492bd0e3b7cf78d6c51dd85.jpg

Since I had to paint the deck lid with primer, used that for the tires.  I had also seen pictures of spare wheels that were all white, and the paint had come off the resin wheel anyway.  Grrr...
IMG_9240_Fotor.thumb.jpg.542745eb715ef7a9d846a8a96bf6521f.jpg

Thought I was home free after removing the tape, but found the one tire that is the Tamiya came off, the Hasegawa tires are fine.  Started on assembling the chassis.  I have extra decals from a 1/24 Kubelwagen, thinking of adding to the engine compartment.  I had also drilled for plug wires before final assembly, see if I'm still sane later.
IMG_9241_Fotor.thumb.jpg.869e2b0c586a5ee38bcc1c75a1d7351f.jpg

Think I can live with this.  The ash tray is a piece of polished aluminum plate.  Going to hide flaws with cargo stuff.  :P
IMG_9242_Fotor.thumb.jpg.68993b26b28e47d61bfc23d3eb5a7208.jpg
IMG_9244_Fotor.thumb.jpg.9e4f61ffde5d4ac44ae47f997dc72fdb.jpg

16 hours ago, afx said:

Interior looks great, the seats in particular.

Thanks!  It's a technique I developed, and may try for doing carbon-fiber bodies instead of decals.  *might*

Took pictures of the cooler today, see I need to improve the lid before doing the details.
IMG_9250_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f7cc006f8f5f4cb2ece365326362b63a.jpg

Also took pictures of this thermos.
IMG_9251_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2135083ba5edc52272a1876f71e0aa20.jpg

I whipped it out using the drill press, used Corian.
IMG_9254_Fotor.thumb.jpg.5e3ac305a597dd17b1a41aeac6da0920.jpg
IMG_9255_Fotor.thumb.jpg.29890f4e1998cc3df5ae23c64dc2fb55.jpg

That's it's for my attention hog post.  :rolleyes: