Model Cars Magazine Forum

My parent's 1960 VW Beetle

89AKurt

8 hours ago, espo said:

That Ski Rack is amazing. 

Thanks, think it will be the only one at any contest.

1 minute ago, Belugawrx said:

This is looking really good Kurt.. we used to bungey the poles to the skiis... back in the day:unsure:

Love this build.. Cheers

Thank you too!  I was wondering if they were invented after 1960, perhaps rubber with steel hooks?

If I wasn't weathering it, would consider it done at this point.  Took a bunch of pictures with the California Pit Stop diorama, will tease with this photo.
IMG_9982_Fotor.thumb.jpg.28296dbac7de6d33ee4232fcbb2374a3.jpg

Had fingers crossed when I stuck the body onto the chassis pan, just for the front lid to be able to open.  Found out there was zero clearance for the suitcase, had to unstick and glue farther back!
IMG_9971_Fotor.thumb.jpg.bd2a25319f0580bb7326b4e9b21c8d81.jpg

The engine hood came out great, dumb luck seat-of-the-pants engineering worked.  What I had hoped for, the hood stays up without needing a toothpick.  Better yet, it says closed with no gap to drive me nuts with.
IMG_9969_Fotor.thumb.jpg.179b347f38d7a6866541daa98cf99638.jpg
IMG_9970_Fotor.thumb.jpg.0175d0350034c013828bbaee627182ae.jpg

Outdoors photo booth.
IMG_9993_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f9d2324aeef3a6099bbcb79977647385.jpg

I sprayed flat clear with a drop of Africa Korp yellow, and added another drop of black for a final dusting.  Then I added the frozen slush, using Water Effects which is awesome stuff, I use it for glue too.  I added some color, and even some charcoal from my last fire this winter.  The hubcap star didn't come out as I wanted, but good enough, did it on the turntable that had wax paper taped on it.  Next is to glue on the wheels (resin wheels had a crude shaft, and not excited about having it roll off a table), mirror, then the ski rack!!

IMG_9994_Fotor.jpg

3 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Awesome! The snow and ice build up is nicely done. Goes to show how great a tribute can turn out with the right skill and technique. 

Thank you!  Good, the video works for other people, when I click, it goes for half a second and stops.

I AM FINISHED!

Ski rack, ready to glue on, straps ready too.
IMG_9996_Fotor.thumb.jpg.233dabd83f3969c5f8aee1eb7072bca2.jpg

May take studio pictures tomorrow to post in Under Glass section.
IMG_9997_Fotor.thumb.jpg.fc5984d9263156ec02307becf37bbb3d.jpg
IMG_9999_Fotor.thumb.jpg.062d28187e369bbeeaae942e04e81316.jpg

P.S.: I am donating one of my limited production Coca-Cola coolers to the GSL Auction.
I may refine some too.

Edited by 89AKurt

Like so many others, I have followed this build. Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any more detailed you add something else. Now ice and snow build up. I have learned a great deal watching this build, and I thank you for sharing your ideas.  

13 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Beautiful work. From the skis and the roof rack, through the interior and engine compartment to the ice and snow clinging to the hubs and underside; freaking fabulous!

Hey, you're new here.  :rolleyes:  Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, espo said:

Like so many others, I have followed this build. Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any more detailed you add something else. Now ice and snow build up. I have learned a great deal watching this build, and I thank you for sharing your ideas.  

Dropping each step into this WIP thread, just shows what work was done.  Over 142 hours!  Many others build incredible models, hard to know without having such a forum to demonstrate techniques.  Thanks for following. :D

As others have said, a super tribute model.  You've put more details into that kit than anyone ever has!

My father had a red early 1960s Beetle that we purchased when we arrived in Pirmasens, Germany in 1969.  It would be some time until our '66 Valiant arrived and we needed wheels.  Eventually my parents each needed a car.  He purchased it from another military guy who was leaving.   He drove the Beetle to work every day for the three years we were there.  The Valiant had been taken to Bremerhaven for shipment back to the USA, so once again the Beetle was our only car.  Some military folk would leave their cars in a specific lot on post, with keys in it and paperwork in the glove box so some fortunate GI could have wheels.  My father intended to do that since he needed nothing more out of that faithful little car.  

In the last week we were there,  we were living in the BOQ until our departure.  An arriving officer asked me how to get to the PX.  I gave him directions, and asked him if he needed a car.  He did, and I managed to sell him the Beetle for $300, which is what my father paid for it three years prior!  The new owner took over the car the day we left so all parties benefited.  My father was so impressed that he let me keep the $300.  I was 14 at the time. Once we were back stateside and I wanted to mow neighborhood lawns, I used that money to buy a used lawn tractor.  That provided all the money I needed throughout high school!   

If I was to build a tribute model of my father's Beetle, it would be with a Christmas tree tied to the right side. One year my father and I went to cut our own tree, and that was my fondest moment with that car.   And if I was to put scale figures into the car, there would be a boy sitting in the compartment behind the rear seat.  That's where I'd sit when we had a car full of people!

Edited by Tom Geiger

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I've been following and enjoying, but, I had to say something! Love the model,  big time!

Thanks for commenting.  With no 'like' button we have no choice.  :D

2 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Excellent tribute build..Looks just like the pic !

Very nicely done.. Cheers

Thanks again. :D

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

As others have said, a super tribute model.  You've put more details into that kit than anyone ever has!

My father had a red early 1960s Beetle that we purchased when we arrived in Pirmasens, Germany in 1969.  It would be some time until our '66 Valiant arrived and we needed wheels.  Eventually my parents each needed a car.  He purchased it from another military guy who was leaving.   He drove the Beetle to work every day for the three years we were there.  The Valiant had been taken to Bremerhaven for shipment back to the USA, so once again the Beetle was our only car.  Some military folk would leave their cars in a specific lot on post, with keys in it and paperwork in the glove box so some fortunate GI could have wheels.  My father intended to do that since he needed nothing more out of that faithful little car.  

In the last week we were there,  we were living in the BOQ until our departure.  An arriving officer asked me how to get to the PX.  I gave him directions, and asked him if he needed a car.  He did, and I managed to sell him the Beetle for $300, which is what my father paid for it three years prior!  The new owner took over the car the day we left so all parties benefited.  My father was so impressed that he let me keep the $300.  I was 14 at the time. Once we were back stateside and I wanted to mow neighborhood lawns, I used that money to buy a used lawn tractor.  That provided all the money I needed throughout high school!   

If I was to build a tribute model of my father's Beetle, it would be with a Christmas tree tied to the right side. One year my father and I went to cut our own tree, and that was my fondest moment with that car.   And if I was to put scale figures into the car, there would be a boy sitting in the compartment behind the rear seat.  That's where I'd sit when we had a car full of people!

When I started this project, people came out of the woodwork with personal stories about a Beetle.  Yours is really special, I didn't know that was part of the military experience.  I have a memory of cutting a Christmas tree with the Auto Union DKW that dad also owned; built a model but apparently have not posted it.