Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Dodge Charger

Hi-Po

My first completed build for the new year.  This is the Revell/Monogram 1969 Dodge Charger built mostly OOB.  I used Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf for the body and Model Masters Flat Black for the vinyl roof and the interior.  Bare metal foil was used for most of the chrome trim.  A Molotow chrome pen was used for touch up here and there on the kit chrome pieces.  Kit decals were used for the red lines and the bumble bee stripe.  The kit exhaust tips were replaced with aluminum tube that was shaped to represent the original ones.  The engine has been fully detailed.  I replaced the kit heater hoses with aftermarket hoses for more realism.  Other than having to alter the carburetor and intake manifold to get the hood to fit better, the kit went together with very few problems.  Now on to the next build. 

P2050008.JPG

P2050002.JPG

P2050003.JPG

P2050004.JPG

P2050005.JPG

P2050006.JPG

P2050007.JPG

Looks beautiful.  My uncle when I was a kid had a 68 Charger R/T that he bought new.  It had redlines, silver paint and black vinyl top with black bumble bee stripes.  This car of yours brings back some great memories.  Again beautiful job.  

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it is appreciated.  I forgot to mention in my post that I did not use any clear coat over the paint.  The paint job came out so nice to begin with, that all I had to do was lightly rub it out with 8000 and 12000 sanding pads.  I then applied the bumble bee stripe and when that was dry, I applied a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax.  Lately, I have had great success with Tamiya spray paints.  My routine is to shake the can for a solid two minutes, then I soak the can in warm (coffee warm) water for about three to five minutes.  Then I shake the can again for another minute or so.  Now the paint is ready to spray.  It works for me, anyway.  Give it a try.