Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Quiet One - AFX Mustang

Hey Folks. I’ve been collecting parts and researching the 1965 Mustang AFX cars since I stumbled upon Kurt Nelson’s 1966 AFX build.

My target will be the “Quiet One II” originally run by Len Richter for Bob Ford in ’65, then Jerry Harvey, where it got its name, and finally Dyno Don Nicholson, who ran it in Modified Production. I will be replicating the Jerry Harvey car, as those are the decals I have.

I was able to get up-close and personal with the car at Snyder Specialty Cars here in Ohio so I got some good pics. I also purchased the book, “Ford Drag Racing in the 60’s” for more info, and also found some great info in Kurt’s thread. Thanks much.

I’m going to call it a tribute build because, even with all of the info I’ve accumulated, there are a lot of gaps, such as the color of the car and trying to duplicate it, and some of the “liberties” I’ll have to take because I just don’t possess the skill to do some of the mods needed to make it an accurate repro.

I’m using the Revell ’66 Shelby GT350H kit as a starting point. Mostly because I could buy it at 40% off from Hobby Lobby, and all of the 65 kits I found were expensive, or the wrong scale. The only significant differences between the two years anyway are the grille, and the dash gauges. Other differences don’t come into play.

I decided to dive right in and start cutting the rear wheel openings so I can properly line up the rear suspension. I measured 4mm forward of the stock wheel well to start my mark, then I used a 1.5 inch half-round stencil to mark the lines.. I then ground the openings with my trusty Dremel using the lines as a guide. I still had to do some additional grinding to get the correct radius. Or what looks correct to me.

5cebe886e2c39_QuietOneDriverSide.jpg.ebc67fae6c89a4897043e71b0c58e781.jpgIMG_20181110_202147683.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

With the body cut, I turned my attention to the chassis. Based on the book, the AFX cars had alterations done to the wheel wells to allow clearance for the slicks, so I’m going to mini-tub them using parts cut from an old chassis in my parts box.

I cut out the stock wheel tubs and cut out floorpan parts that will need to be altered.

AFX Mustang Chassis Cut.jpg

Wheel Tubs for AFX Mustang.jpg

Very, VERY cool project! I too would like to build a model of this very car, as Dyno Don ran it on the match circuit in 1969 as he and Jenkins, Sox, Landy, and others created Pro Stock. I really need this one to tell that story. If anyone knows if decals are available, I'm interested. 

18 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Always liked the colors on this one.

Yes, but I'm having trouble finding that particular shade of gold.

It's not a true gold, its more yellow. I recently bought a Shimrin color that I have to test, but looking at it in the bottle its not quite it.

As I get to the location of the rear axle, the kit differential is a bit pedestrian. It only has the lower half of the diff, so I had to come up with a substitute.

I found a 9" in my parts box and cut the axle tubes off and replaced them with tubes. I'll have to cut the springs off the old axle and add them as well.

At the same time I looked at how to duplicate the funky torsion spring front axle and discovered that it may be a lot easier than a first thought.

Cutting the control rods and supports from the front suspension gave me the idea to use the supports for the torsion spring. I'll add some cosmetic pieces to give it a similar look but I think it will work.

Mustang Replacement Axle Housing.jpg

65 AFX Mustang Front Suspension.jpg

AFX Mustang Front Susp Mockup.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

7 minutes ago, afx said:

Which SOHC are you going to install? I highly recommend the Moebius. 

I already bought a printed one before I was hip to the Moebius one, and didn't like the other options. I posted pics of it on your AFX Mustang post a while back.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

23 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

I already bought a printed one before I was hip to the Moebius one, and didn't like the other options. I posted pics of it on your AFX Mustang post a while back.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

I remember your photos now that you mention it of your 3D printed engine, looking forward to seeing it built up.

Like your idea too for the torsion bars at the front suspension.

Edited by afx

7 hours ago, fairlane1320 said:

I have quite a bit of reference material for the AFX Mustangs. Here's the H&M magazine article...........

https://public.fotki.com/fordflashback/2-model-projects/125-afx-mustangs/holman-moody-article/

Thanks Ron! I had a couple of the photos from this article, but having the whole thing is very cool.

Edited by MeatMan

Looking good Dennis, glad to see you started this project.

Here is a link to an old magazine article I just discovered last week about Holman & Moody Mustangs.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990472262350/1965-04SS_AFXMustang_buildTech_1-6.pdf

Oh, dang just realized its the same article Ron posted :wacko:

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Thanks guys.

I have thought about doing the original car with the stock "Champagne Gold" paint because I'm having trouble finding the right gold for the Quiet One.

Anyone have a better pic than this, or can read the white lettering on the front fender for Crew:, and Bosses?

I'm sure a set of decals don't exist, but I'd try to print a set.

Here's the bio I found on the car:

“Survivor: 5F09K380xxx was car #6 of 10. Originally Poppy Red, it was repainted Champagne Beige and ran by Len Richter for Bob Ford in ’65. The car went to back to H&M for ’66 updates, and then sent to Jerry Harvey. This car would go on to be known as the “Quiet One II” when Harvey drove in it 1966 and 1967. Hubert Platt apparently drove it in A/MP in 1968 or early 1969. Dyno Don acquired the car in 1969 and ran it in A/MP with Harvey Ford lettering. It was sold in late ’69 to some NYC racers, where it saw much action on the street. ”

Bob Ford_Len Richter Mustang.jpg

14 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Thanks guys.

I have thought about doing the original car with the stock "Champagne Gold" paint because I'm having trouble finding the right gold for the Quiet One.

Anyone have a better pic than this, or can read the white lettering on the front fender for Crew:, and Bosses?

I'm sure a set of decals don't exist, but I'd try to print a set.

Here's the bio I found on the car:

“Survivor: 5F09K380xxx was car #6 of 10. Originally Poppy Red, it was repainted Champagne Beige and ran by Len Richter for Bob Ford in ’65. The car went to back to H&M for ’66 updates, and then sent to Jerry Harvey. This car would go on to be known as the “Quiet One II” when Harvey drove in it 1966 and 1967. Hubert Platt apparently drove it in A/MP in 1968 or early 1969. Dyno Don acquired the car in 1969 and ran it in A/MP with Harvey Ford lettering. It was sold in late ’69 to some NYC racers, where it saw much action on the street. ”

Bob Ford_Len Richter Mustang.jpg

Testors has that color (beige) in spray cans.

Edited by vamach1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done on the Mustang. I sorted out the rear wheel wells which I had to pull from the parts bin.

Here I'm mocking up the front and rear suspension. You will note that the I added an axle mounting plate with the old shock locations but no shock installed. The actual shock location is on the traction bars per the 1:1.

I used brackets from Dirt Modeler for to attach the front of the traction bars, and fabricated some shackles for the rear springs.

The front suspension shows my take on the torsion spring setup. Its not exactly like the 1:1, but I feel its close enough. The brass pieces are ferrules, which I won't glue into place until the chassis is painted so they can keep their color.

I'm also starting on the engine. Here I show the oil pan being deepened. I just used a piece of plastic I found that was about the right size and grafted it into place.

Thanks for looking, and commenting.

Btw Rex, I haven't found that color in Testors paint. Thanks.

IMG_20190613_183214422.jpg

IMG_20190613_182452213.jpg

IMG_20190613_182409346.jpg

IMG_20190613_182352711.jpg

Edited by MeatMan