Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Comet Cyclone

dmthamade

Hello all!! New here, first in progress build. I'm not building this in the kit colors, going off on my own. I've done very few cars, been doing 1/32 aircraft for decades. This build is more an exercise in building and painting, i'll worry about details as i build more car kits. Still haven't figured out what the color will be, building this with a black interior. I have been using different sheens of black to try and avoid a monochrome look. There is matt, semi gloss and gloss black in the interior. I did hit the handles and cranks with silver.

2B8JSB.jpg

h0dXhO.jpg

Dash is gloss black on lower parts with top semi gloss. Might hit the dash with clear flat to take away some of the shine.

RjrFAX.jpg

eYGU66.jpg

Engine is painted ford blue with various metallic silvers for manifold, valve covers, timing cover. Fan belt looks really odd, something to change in later builds.

gkQA4V.jpg

lWFzp0.jpg

I stripped the chrome off all parts but the bumpers and grilles.

Don

Thanks, guys!! It's been a long time since an update, life got in the way. Did manage to get it up on all 4, interior done, engine installed. Have to say, the engine takes up a lot of room, fitting it and the headers and steering linkages was fun. I don't know if it is accurate to the real Dyno Don car, but the pedals look off, gas pedal is HUGE, clutch/brake pedals look too high and too far way from the firewall. Steering column/wheel look too high, angle should be less. Other than that, all else looks ok. Would have been easy to fix the column, the pedals would need to be mounted lower and closer to the firewall. 

jEXgfr.jpg

PhSbdr.jpg

Next up, working on the body. Still haven't decided on a color. I had to scrape away the bottom of the hood to clear the air cleaner, easier to do on a plastic kit than a real car. Fit onto the chassis needed a little tweaking but otherwise was ok.

pGtc5x.jpg

XUxLAC.jpg

Don

Great progress so far.

Great idea with using different sheens of black on the interior. Its always good to see modeling techniques from other categories crossing over.

I can't be sure, but from the photo I would have to agree that the steering wheel angle doesn't look quite right.

Keep us posted of the progress.

Thanks for the positives, guys!! On holidays now, had some time to work on the build. Primed with Tamiya spraybomb, then applied color coat. Tamiya XF-28, Dark Copper. I thinned this with Mr.Color thinner, 3 coats. Sealed with Tamiya X-22 Clear thinned with Mr.Color, 3 coats. From what i'vre read, i should let this dry for 3 weeks before sanding/polishing.

Q2oi8w.jpg

kJsPmK.jpg

3KNPQ3.jpg

tBFwC8.jpg

Don

It's a different color, red is usually the default color for these builds. Wanted something different. I hit it with another coat of clear today, has a nice shine that i may be OK with. I used Tamiya X-22 thinned with Mr.Color thinner sprayed at 15 psi. Has the look and shine of Tamiya TS-13 clear but i have better control through an airbrush. Working on the front and back chrome parts, found the rear piece that has the park lights is poorly done, the lights barely show through the grille due to flashing. I stripped the chrome and will work on opening the grille slots so the red shows better.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Long time for an update. I've managed to get most all assembled. The Bare- Metal Foiling of the trim drove me nuts!! I have to say, 1/25 scale has been difficult, been having a hard time dealing with the small size of this kit and the small parts. Going to have a look for larger scale stuff, 1/12 or 1/16 looks easier to build. I have all respect to the builders here that turn out the great builds in this scale. Anyway, some pics.

THAsLh.jpg

Y8eVSL.jpg

9IbAg7.jpg

9IbAg7.jpg

Still have some small parts to install.

Don

Thanks for the positives, guys. I have to confess, this was a lot more difficult than i thought it would be. 4.5"x 6.5"x 9.5" box, 7 or 8 sprues of parts, how bad could it be...have to tell you, i boxed it up a few times, mostly when dealing with finishes and fit issues.  Worse part was doing the Bare-Metal parts, did manage to get it done more or less, took about 5 sessions. Stuff seems to have a mind of its own, and it was thinking bad thinks. Went to add the wiper arms/blades, foiling them first. Broke them. Sad. Well, real drag cars don't have them, so that's my excuse. Won't be adding the decals, i like the clean looks of if without. Done with this, i'll post in the finished forum some pics.

Don