Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘65 Chevelle SS396

BeakDoc

It looks like you're detailing everything just right and the quarter windows are a great addition , well done !  A minute removing the mold line from the top of the radiator would be time well spent , and our good friend Harry would point out the "floating" alternator .  A simple top bracket made from a strip of scrap plastic easily solves that . Overall a beautiful Chevelle ! :D

Great looking build. I also like the color and the paint finish looks good. Not sure about your comment on the distributer as it looks fine in the pictures. The colors used to detail the model all look correct, even the gray plug wire. Nice to see the hub caps done like the 1:1's. As I recall these came with a one year only gold line tire sidewalls. They didn't have even a 70 series tire yet and these things with an open rear end would eat tires like crazy.  

Many thanks for the kind comments thus far.

I just realized that the air cleaner cover decal has gone MIA.

11 hours ago, TooOld said:

A minute removing the mold line from the top of the radiator would be time well spent , and our good friend Harry would point out the "floating" alternator.

Points well taken, Bob. Lately I’ve been removing that pesky radiator mold line on my builds, but I certainly did miss it on this one. Moving forward I fully intend to fab up alternator (and occasional power steering pump) brackets. I recently built 2 different kits that provided them and ever since, I cannot unsee the “floating” alternator.

8 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful chevelle. Beautiful color. Too bad the Z16 wasn't available in it.

Too bad indeed.

10 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful chevelle. Beautiful color. Too bad the Z16 wasn't available in it.

Perhaps it is a "special order" paint code model. Back then it wasn't that hard to get a custom color on a factory car. If a Gm exec wanted it, or if it was a promotional or show car it could have happened. I have seen factory painted  hugger orange 1970 SS Chevelles, Carousel red on a first gen Firebird, a GTO Judge in pale yellow, etc. Just say'in.......

10 hours ago, larman said:

Perhaps it is a "special order" paint code model. Back then it wasn't that hard to get a custom color on a factory car. If a Gm exec wanted it, or if it was a promotional or show car it could have happened. I have seen factory painted  hugger orange 1970 SS Chevelles, Carousel red on a first gen Firebird, a GTO Judge in pale yellow, etc. Just say'in.......

Well yes but the fact that 201were made and 197 were red. Three were tuxedo black and one was crocus yellow negates that.

Edited by Classicgas