Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han 68-70 AMX kits AMT

Sport Suburban

While I was building my 68 AMX and I have a number of them. I decided to do a video of the differences of the kits. These kits are getting pricey and I wanted share the info. Let me know what you think of a video like this?

Here are a few others I built. The 70 below is a resin one from Missing Link but is no longer available.

4CE33C1E-9370-426F-84EA-36D02A06E097.jpeg

0582AEC8-DFDE-4962-BBF7-60B9EB320BB8.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

On a related topic, is there a 1/24 or 1/25 Javelin kit available? A friend has a '70 Mark Donohue edition and I'd love to build a model of it but kits don't seem to exist.

'70 kits and promos were done back in the day, both now very rare and spendy. They don't even come up on ePay all that often. 

Call me bias if you want..........

But the AMC pony car is the last hold out for a modern kit. ALL other ponies have a modern kit....many in 1/24 and 1/.25. I did a little R&D for a proposed AMC pony car but it was cancelled before it got very far. 

A new tool Javelin could be tooled to include all models 68 to 74. WB is the same for all, same windshield/A pillars, same door skins etc. So you could tool one year, get some sales, add inserts for another year until you cover them all. 

And much of the tooling could bee shared with the 2 seat AMX version later. 

If only I was in charge!!!!

I'll supply the 1/1 for 2nd gen Javelin

2vM29ejFxJcANd.jpg  

12 minutes ago, Sport Suburban said:

Man. I would love a modern tool kit of the Javelins and AMXs! I have at least one of each of them from Jo-Han. Not all are built yet! Still need to build the 74 and 68 Javelins.

3424639B-5C2E-46F8-8FC7-C7132862D85E.jpeg

I think this is my favorite build of yours of all time. When I build mine, that's pretty much exactly what I want it to look like, except maybe without the stripe. :wub:

3 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

Inspired!! I have that one planned and the kit to do it. As a matter of fact I plan a 69 like yous and a 70 Super Stock AMX as well. Many of them were updated to 70 sheet metal!

I have the Round2 HO scale slot car of this one....

I just scored a Shirley Shahan on ePay for $38. Never built, never painted. Looks like it's missing the Cragar wheels and only shows 3 tires, not a huge deal. The taillights might be missing, too, but all the rest of important stuff is there, so still a good deal. I can't remember the last time I saw one go for under $50 and asking prices seem to be in the $90 range. 

Just remembered, a friend of mine has a real one and has been looking for the model. He's a very good builder and painter and I'd feel okay turning it over to him. Wonder if he's got anything interesting to swap for it, hmmmmmmm?  :huh:

On 9/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, Dave Van said:

Call me bias if you want..........

But the AMC pony car is the last hold out for a modern kit. ALL other ponies have a modern kit....many in 1/24 and 1/.25. I did a little R&D for a proposed AMC pony car but it was cancelled before it got very far. 

A new tool Javelin could be tooled to include all models 68 to 74. WB is the same for all, same windshield/A pillars, same door skins etc. So you could tool one year, get some sales, add inserts for another year until you cover them all. 

And much of the tooling could bee shared with the 2 seat AMX version later. 

If only I was in charge!!!!

I'll supply the 1/1 for 2nd gen Javelin

2vM29ejFxJcANd.jpg  

May I add .. Power Trains are the same (AMC cast the CID on the sides of the Block) ,  all the glass is the same ,  all the chassis setup is the same (including staggered rear shocks to limit Wheel Hop ect) , I owned a '70 & '74 Javelin . For the Gen II Javelin / Javelin AMX's  I will ask again . Would anyone cast the Javelin '71-'72 - '73/'74 Grills if I can fabricate these .  The bumpers if the Gen II are easy IF the DOT Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers are made separately . The front Valance are all the same on the Gen II also . For the AMX Version the park/turn signals were relocated into the Grille . . '72/'72 MY's these are in the Valance . '73/'74 the Javeln park/tirn lights moved these into the Grille like contemporary the Hornet and Gremlin AMC models . The Openings in the Valance had black Plastic slotted fillers .  Yes , these are surely left out !  Thanx .. 

'72 

On 9/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, Dave Van said:

You must have discovered a secret source of '67-'69 Cougars and '65-'69 Barracudas. Unless you're counting the reissues of the AMT and MPC '69s (respectively). 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You must have discovered a secret source of '67-'69 Cougars and '65-'69 Barracudas. Unless you're counting the reissues of the AMT and MPC '69s (respectively). 

Across the board there are more Cuda and Cougars on the market than AMC's in general.