Model Cars Magazine Forum

DELIVERY DEUCE

mrm

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Grill looks great!  

Could I ask what the ‘Walmart German Carpet’ is - I couldn’t work out what that was, but I like the result you got!

Thank you. 
The “german carpet” was just a joke, but this is what it is.

637F8390-302A-4E2C-B482-3C807E9C3783.jpeg

BE643891-B220-4FB5-BBA8-740BE0395D25.jpeg

1 hour ago, Flat32 said:

Very nice grille job, but what's the license plate doing behind it???  IMHO I'd opt for a state that doesn't require a front plate or put it in front of the grille. Seems like it actually detracts behind there.  In real life it would take a major effort to stick one in there, might not be legal and certainly block air flow to the over heating prone souped up Flathead.

Well, it is a multitude of things. 
   It is actually a thing often seen on 1:1 street rods, which I just happened to get a kick out of, as it does not interfere with the Deuce clean design. 
    Then, the way the Revell grille is designed, it shows where the grille-shell/radiator is glued to the crossmember, when you use a see trough pe grille. I have addressed the issue on previous models, but I forgot it on this one, so I needed to cover up that joint. 
    Also I wanted a whisky state license plate. Kentucky or Tennessee. But apparently, kit manufacturers have made decals with plates from every other state, but those two. So my next option was to get a plate that was a) vintage b) in colors that suited my needs c) from a state where money laundering would be associated with. What better place to tick all the boxes that California? Besides I needed it to be in a size that would perfectly match the size of the various photoetched license plate frames I have on hand. 
   Trust me when I tell you, not a single piece on this model has been put on it by chance. 

6 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Each to his own, and all that, I like the plate there !  The surround you made is a great touch also !

Look forward to seeing it complete, very nice job !

Thank you. It’s almost there. Should be done tonight or tomorrow. Then I have to concentrate on finishing the next one out of the half a dozen projects. 

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Oh, that’s really cool!  I’ll have to pick up a can of that - thank you!

No problem. Just careful with the nozzle on it. This material is very thick and coarse and plugs the nozzle very easily. 
     I have a somewhat small WallMart about two blocks from home. It is a place where I have sourced so many cool stuff for modeling. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

This paint product also works well when creating a Vinyl Roof for a model. I'll use a light coat of flat clear dusted over it as a final coat and this will knock down most of any gloss in the finish. 

I personally find it to be too coarse for 1:25 scale tops. The best thing was a product by Krylon (if I remember correctly) called “make it suede”. It used to come in small cans. Unfortunately they discontinued it. It used to come in variety of colors and was priceless for recreating alcantara in interiors or vinyl tops. 

8 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Each to his own, and all that, I like the plate there !  The surround you made is a great touch also !

Look forward to seeing it complete, very nice job !

I'm right there with Martin on that license plate. Adds some depth to that area of the build. This is looking great so far.

4 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I'm right there with Martin on that license plate. Adds some depth to that area of the build. This is looking great so far.

Thank you.

Something I need to clarify about the license plate is that the picture is very misleading. The plate is nowhere as visible as it looks on the picture. Because of the colors of the plate in person you can easily miss it if you didn’t know to look for it. It is also easy to pass up the fact that the grille is actually see through and the plate demonstrates the depth behind the grille. 

CC7A3203-D581-4FA3-BE11-BF387D8CA74F.jpeg

8 hours ago, mrm said:

I personally find it to be too coarse for 1:25 scale tops. The best thing was a product by Krylon (if I remember correctly) called “make it suede”. It used to come in small cans. Unfortunately they discontinued it. It used to come in variety of colors and was priceless for recreating alcantara in interiors or vinyl tops. 

Hi!

Alas, it's discontinued. I took a habit of stopping at every hardware store in any small village or hamlet I happen to drive trough... juste in case they may have some leftover cans. So far, no luck!

Very nice finished car!

CT

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Alas, it's discontinued. I took a habit of stopping at every hardware store in any small village or hamlet I happen to drive trough... juste in case they may have some leftover cans. So far, no luck!

Very nice finished car!

CT

Thank you. 
But the car is not quite finished yet. I’m currently working on the rear shocks and the radiator hoses. Then the top hood still needs to be polished and the uderside of it painted. 
Then it would be finished. Maybe even some valve stems. 
    And about the “Make it Suede ” spray cans, I used to do the same thing. 

9 hours ago, mrm said:

Thank you. 
But the car is not quite finished yet. I’m currently working on the rear shocks and the radiator hoses. Then the top hood still needs to be polished and the uderside of it painted. 
Then it would be finished. Maybe even some valve stems. 
    And about the “Make it Suede ” spray cans, I used to do the same thing. 

Oups... Sorry for my mistake! As they say: "It's not over untill it's over"!

CT

21 hours ago, mrm said:

I haven't tried "make it suede" yet but I'll keep that in mind. Another great paint to use is Model Master Fabric colors. I have used their #28136 Tan and #28135 Gray. Both are a Lacquer base, just a word of caution they are somewhat "Hot".  

19 hours ago, alan barton said:

Surely one of the most beautifully and sensitively detailed 32s we've ever seen on these pages.  The yellow wheels, the timber floor, the terrific grille detail, wow, I love it!  Surely a Rodder's Journal cover car!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you kindly, Sir. I really tried to put some personal touches to it that I hold dear. 

15 hours ago, espo said:

I haven't tried "make it suede" yet but I'll keep that in mind. Another great paint to use is Model Master Fabric colors. I have used their #28136 Tan and #28135 Gray. Both are a Lacquer base, just a word of caution they are somewhat "Hot".  

I don't know how great of luck you are going to have finding "make it suede". It's been discontinued for a wile now and you may as well rename it to "unobtainium". LOL

OK guys, the Delivery Deuce is officially finished. I had a lot to deal with this past few days, so I didn’t take any more progress pictures, but a got it all done. 
   I had few hiccups along the way, but it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t. For some unknown reason, it turned out the engine was not perfectly straight in the frame. Correcting that after the model was pretty much finished was a very uncomfortable task. But after some sweat, sailor lingo and a bourbon or two, I managed to correct it without destroying anything previously achieved. Next, my OCD kicked in and didn’t allow me to get over one of the sparkplug boots sitting a touch higher than the rest, which opened a whole new can of worms, but now that is also corrected. The set of shocks I made turned out so bothersome, that I didn’t even attempt to correct them and cut them up in million pieces in my anger. I just made new ones, which are not 100% perfect, but I figured my sanity was more important, so I let it go. 
   Now, weather permitting I will take pictures tomorrow and show off the Delivery Deuce in “Under Glass”. 
   I hope you enjoyed the WIP and that you will like the end result. I had a blast. 

Thanks for looking and stay tuned.