Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Hurst Olds H/O

Bills72sj

This is a 1969 Hurst Olds I finished awhile back. It started as an open eBay purchase that was fortunately complete. The only issue was that the decal sheet had been wetted then dried.

It was built basically box stock with some minor mods. I did my trademark widened rear wheels and tires. The gold detail painting on the wheels was a challenge. I had to get the gold only on the spokes and not on the lugnuts, center caps or hole trim. They actually came out perfect. I was quite pleased. I removed the locator pegs from the tail light lenses and BMF'd the backs to make them more realistic. I added a Detail Master triple gauge set under dash to compliment the "His and Hers" Hurst shifter. I got the triple carbs and manifold from a 69 Olds 442 kit. The air cleaner element was painted with transparent aqua.

The fit and finish of this kit was amazing for an AMT offering. It has been years since I had a body drop right onto a chassis perfectly without having to trim or tweak something. The bumpers actually fit perfectly as well. The only trouble I had was that the windows are barely bigger than the frame leaving very little overlap for gluing. The chassis is quite detailed including separate pieces for control arms, springs and shocks. The decals did require soaking about 5 times longer than usual to release from the backing paper but they held together well. I really wish I had a wired distributor to top off the engine.

I highly recommend this kit as I had very little frustration building it. In fact this is the first model I have ever built where the steering actually WORKS!

HO Olds RF.jpg

HO Olds LR.jpg

HO Olds rear.jpg

HO Olds engine.jpg

HO Olds front.jpg

Interior with gauges.jpg

5 hours ago, peekay said:

Very nice - and the decals are done just right.

Thank you. I have a pretty good eye for alignment. Adding a drop of dish soap to the decal water gives you plenty of time to slide them around. Once parked, a dry Q-tip is great at wicking up the water and decal set solution.

• 1 year later...