Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride


mustang1989
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Still loving this build. My late brother had a small bumper Grabber in red. Rusty as you would expect here in Michigan. 302, 3 speed with the grabber hood. I always liked that car.  So my point, A maverick looks good in red.

 

Thanks Andy. A 3-speed? Wow! I would've thought a Grabber would've been a 4-speed anyway??! Still learning a lot about these cars. Really wish someone would make a street version of this car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Andy. A 3-speed? Wow! I would've thought a Grabber would've been a 4-speed anyway??! Still learning a lot about these cars. Really wish someone would make a street version of this car.

Yes a 3 speed. remember it was a Maverick not a Mustang. It would still smoke the tires when it was almost dead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Yes a 3 speed. remember it was a Maverick not a Mustang. It would still smoke the tires when it was almost dead. 

If i remember correctly 72 or 73 was the first year a manual was available with the 302 in a maverick but i could be off a year. A guy not far from me has a dark blue grabber with light blue stripes just sitting under a tree.. Looks really solid but unfortunately its not for sale...Next time i pass by i will take a picture and post it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

If i remember correctly 72 or 73 was the first year a manual was available with the 302 in a maverick but i could be off a year. A guy not far from me has a dark blue grabber with light blue stripes just sitting under a tree.. Looks really solid but unfortunately its not for sale...Next time i pass by i will take a picture and post it.

Yes I do not recall the year. we had 3 Mavericks at the house  moms was a new 73 4 door so that year sticks in my head but I am not sure if it was or not. My sisters was a big bumper car so it was newer than his. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok fellas!! I managed to mask off and paint the roof white without destroying the rest of the paint/ decal work that I've done. It aint perfect in regards to "correctness" but I got it close enough for me to be able to live with. I've also applied the gloss coat over everything...

Tdzf8q.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2019 at 5:21 AM, mustang1989 said:

I haven't done a race car in I don't know how long but I've had this Jo-Han Maverick in my stash for a couple of years and wanted to build it but didn't know what theme I was going with until I saw Don Nicholson's ride. I knew right away that I HAD to build it....and so.....along with my re-intro here I'll give this my best shot.


The kit (I bought this kit a couple of years back for $50......you don't want to know what it goes for these days....WOW!!) 


Lj24uv.jpg

The Subject:

ouNdoH.jpg

 

My favorite pro stock. Saw this run. Just love it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks for poppin' in Bruce. Wish I could've seen it first hand like you. That would've been awesome!

I did not realize it at the time, but it was cool watching Dandy Dick Landy, Ronnie Sox, Bill Jenkins, Don Garlits, Don the Snake , Tom the Mongoose, and others run during that time. Altereds were running then also.  Wild Willy and the Del Rio Brothers were always going against each other Plus you could talk to them also , in the pits. Just a cool but different time. Oh how can I forget .... Jungle Jim, actually Jungle Pam!!!! Jungle Jim hated the NHRA so we did not see him very much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, Brudda said:

I did not realize it at the time, but it was cool watching Dandy Dick Landy, Ronnie Sox, Bill Jenkins, Don Garlits, Don the Snake , Tom the Mongoose, and others run during that time. Altereds were running then also.  Wild Willy and the Del Rio Brothers were always going against each other Plus you could talk to them also , in the pits. Just a cool but different time. Oh how can I forget .... Jungle Jim, actually Jungle Pam!!!! Jungle Jim hated the NHRA so we did not see him very much. 

Those must've been some great times watching all those guys alright. Got any pics Bruce? 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:34 PM, PappyD340 said:

Coming right along, looks great so far!!

Thanks Larry!! 

This build has been going a lot slower than a lot of my other ones just because of parts....and the money to get them. Used to I would buy everything I needed BEFORE a build. Now I'm having to spread everything out as I can afford it. Things are slowly coming together now. Sometimes it's a "one step forward and two steps backwards" gig. Like today for instance, I saw that one of the rear wheels that I shot with Molotow has cracking in the chrome finish. Dunno what happened there as the other rear wheel is ok. Guess it's a bath in oven cleaner and a re-shoot for that one though. The other thing that I've noticed was the rear bumper. There are two HUGE sink marks on the outside of the bumper where the two mounting tabs are located on the inside of the bumper. Looks like that's gonna get stripped and some body work is coming down the pike. One thing after another with this kit...………...BUT......that's modeling.

The other thing that has been hampering me is myself. Like....forgetting to paint the roof white for instance. And just yesterday I saw where I forgot to paint the tail light panel black. No biggie....just masked off and shot it semi gloss black this morning and it turned out ok.

Updated Mock up shots:

g2Vkgg.jpg

jfzlw1.jpg

9e0aaN.jpg

y5PZlM.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Joe! On these challenging days we face several challenges and our personal and human (health) condition are top priorities. This is just an hobby and you did a great job to address the minor flaws (at my standpoint) on the Maverick.

You are very dedicated to this build and it's more than obvious so I see no reason why this car might not cross the finish line as the real car did in it's hours of glory.

Keep doing your great job my friend (this Maverick is fantastic), you're on the right track!!! 

Take care, Francis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Those must've been some great times watching all those guys alright. Got any pics Bruce? 

Thanks Larry!! 

This build has been going a lot slower than a lot of my other ones just because of parts....and the money to get them. Used to I would buy everything I needed BEFORE a build. Now I'm having to spread everything out as I can afford it. Things are slowly coming together now. Sometimes it's a "one step forward and two steps backwards" gig. Like today for instance, I saw that one of the rear wheels that I shot with Molotow has cracking in the chrome finish. Dunno what happened there as the other rear wheel is ok. Guess it's a bath in oven cleaner and a re-shoot for that one though. The other thing that I've noticed was the rear bumper. There are two HUGE sink marks on the outside of the bumper where the two mounting tabs are located on the inside of the bumper. Looks like that's gonna get stripped and some body work is coming down the pike. One thing after another with this kit...………...BUT......that's modeling.

The other thing that has been hampering me is myself. Like....forgetting to paint the roof white for instance. And just yesterday I saw where I forgot to paint the tail light panel black. No biggie....just masked off and shot it semi gloss black this morning and it turned out ok.

Updated Mock up shots:

g2Vkgg.jpg

jfzlw1.jpg

9e0aaN.jpg

y5PZlM.jpg

It’s looking great!!!!! I might have some pics. Have to go into the shed to find them. Sometimes the cars sponsor decals changed from week to week. It was a lot more loose with sponsors back then. I remember when someone needed a part or even a motor, other competitor’s pitched in. I think it was better times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have been lurking in the background watching this build come together.  You have done an excellent job with your attention to detail and overall abilities to notice the small stuff.  Really looking forward to more updates and the finished product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2020 at 3:30 PM, Brudda said:

It’s looking great!!!!! I might have some pics. Have to go into the shed to find them. Sometimes the cars sponsor decals changed from week to week. It was a lot more loose with sponsors back then. I remember when someone needed a part or even a motor, other competitor’s pitched in. I think it was better times. 

Thanks Bruce. Post those pics up if you find 'em.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:23 AM, dragcarz said:

Looking great!

Thanks Roger! 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:15 AM, TarheelRick said:

Have been lurking in the background watching this build come together.  You have done an excellent job with your attention to detail and overall abilities to notice the small stuff.  Really looking forward to more updates and the finished product.

'Preciate that Rick. Don't have a lathe yet so I can't manufacture parts like some of these guys can so I'll make the best out it that I can with plastic, PE and resin.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, Codi said:

Hey Joe, I can envision it with the bumpers on already.  The blacked out rear on it really pops now.   You got this!   cheers, tim

Tim I appreciate your comments as well. Your Mav is looking suuweeeeeeet!! 

On 3/21/2020 at 10:59 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello Joe! On these challenging days we face several challenges and our personal and human (health) condition are top priorities. This is just an hobby and you did a great job to address the minor flaws (at my standpoint) on the Maverick.

You are very dedicated to this build and it's more than obvious so I see no reason why this car might not cross the finish line as the real car did in it's hours of glory.

Keep doing your great job my friend (this Maverick is fantastic), you're on the right track!!! 

Take care, Francis

 

Francis, I appreciate your encouraging words and for your help on this build. You da man.

16 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Its gonna be well worth the effort and wait. This thing is beautiful, it sits perfect. Great job

Thanks for dropping in and for the comments Scott.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2020 at 11:48 PM, Mike Williams said:

Coming along nicely Joe, I'm enjoying the progress with this project.

Mike..

Thanks Mike! 

Finished up the hood this morning. This whole applying white over red is NOT an easy thing to do. Fought color bleed through all the way. BUT....I got it.

Image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...