Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom 58 T Bird Sedan Delivery

Ferbz

Very kool look Ferby! The concept looks perfect, especially how you dealt with the rear end. The scalloped paint scheme also fits in perfectly with the body lines and the front and rear grill treatments score above the stock versions. Great job!

Cheers Misha

First, that's a beautiful build and a great concept! You're to be congratulated on finally making one of those ideas that we all have floating around in the back of our minds but seldom get around to building. Great job!

Secondly, a few words about the paint issue. There is more than one kind of Duplicolor clear - at least two and I think possibly more than that. These two cans of paint are NOT alike:

IMGP4570.JPG.90cdce0197badcdad02ed3a1189193c4.JPG

The one in the blue can is the one that Ferbz says he used. It is VERY hot and easily cuts through other finishes including Duplicolor. It must have a useful purpose for those who know the correct usage but I recommend staying away from it for painting models.

The "Perfect Match" clear (in the can on the right) is an old standby and I've used it for years over various finishes and as a decal coating. There's never been a problem that I didn't cause all by myself.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:00 AM, Ferbz said:

One thing I'll mention: you may notice the finish is a bit bumpy and irregular. The clearcoat would not dry and remained tacky for months! I tried a bunch of things to get it to dry/harden to no avail. Once it started to feel like it was hardening, I proceeded to wetsand it. As I let it sit a few days the surface started to get bumpy and weird! I've never had this happen to me before, but after some experimenting I figured it has something to do with the clear that I used(Duplicolor spray can acrylic lacquer, blue can). A bad can/batch perhaps? Needless to say, I was very frustrated and am staying away from that particular can from now on.

I had the same problem with their Clearcoat automotive touch up paint, and I tried it twice! I too thought it was a bad can so I bought another one, same problem - it would never dry. I let the cars sit to dry so long that dust had time to stick and imbed into it, even after a year! I had to give up, dunk it into the Purple Power and try again. This time I simply used Krylon Clear Lacquer from Home Depot and it worked perfectly!

Duplicolor color paints work great, but don't ruin your work by using their Clearcoat, you'll be sorry!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I had the same problem with their Clearcoat automotive touch up paint, and I tried it twice! I too thought it was a bad can so I bought another one, same problem - it would never dry. I let the cars sit to dry so long that dust had time to stick and imbed into it, even after a year! I had to give up, dunk it into the Purple Power and try again. This time I simply used Krylon Clear Lacquer from Home Depot and it worked perfectly!

Duplicolor color paints work great, but don't ruin your work by using their Clearcoat, you'll be sorry!!!

I'm not happy that you've had the same problem, but I'm sure glad it's not just me going crazy :) Did the surface get irregular on you as well? Such a weird thing to happen.... 

BTW, I did not know Krylon made a clear lacquer....I'll give it a try!

On 12/21/2019 at 12:24 PM, mr moto said:

First, that's a beautiful build and a great concept! You're to be congratulated on finally making one of those ideas that we all have floating around in the back of our minds but seldom get around to building. Great job!

Secondly, a few words about the paint issue. There is more than one kind of Duplicolor clear - at least two and I think possibly more than that. These two cans of paint are NOT alike:

IMGP4570.JPG.90cdce0197badcdad02ed3a1189193c4.JPG

The one in the blue can is the one that Ferbz says he used. It is VERY hot and easily cuts through other finishes including Duplicolor. It must have a useful purpose for those who know the correct usage but I recommend staying away from it for painting models.

The "Perfect Match" clear (in the can on the right) is an old standby and I've used it for years over various finishes and as a decal coating. There's never been a problem that I didn't cause all by myself.

Thanks for posting the pic of the two different Duplicolor cans. I've not used any of those red cans yet. Are they lacquer as well?

On 12/19/2019 at 3:40 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I like it!  What paint is under the Duplicolor clear?  I've never had an issue with it.  

The paint under the clear is guitar lacquer, which i thought might have been the problem(disparate brands can sometimes cause issues, even tho they are the same type of paint: lacquer). But I tried the same Duplicolor spray can lacquer over a different paint and it did the same thing....

1 hour ago, Ferbz said:

I'm not happy that you've had the same problem, but I'm sure glad it's not just me going crazy :) Did the surface get irregular on you as well? Such a weird thing to happen.... 

BTW, I did not know Krylon made a clear lacquer....I'll give it a try!

When I first sprayed it, it went on great, flowed out nice and brought out the deep color of the base coat. But it would never harden and stayed tacky forever. I tried it on three cars. First time I thought I didn't shake it enough. Second time I thought it was because of the outside temperature and humidity. Third time I thought it was a bad can. All to no avail, same result every time. 

As far as the surface getting irregular - if you call dust getting stuck in the finish, then yes it changed!

BTW, I sprayed Krylon Lacquer on top of Krylon Grey primer, Dupli-Color metallic blue automotive touch up paint and all of this on a reissued soft grey plastic AMT 69 Riviera. Paint dried perfectly within a half an hour and was ready to polish within a couple of days. 

It's my go to paint now! That and it's a big can for less than $6. Compared to Dupli-Color's small cans for $10.50 (whew?) Krylon is a bargain. 

Hope it works for you too.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:19 PM, Ferbz said:

Thanks for posting the pic of the two different Duplicolor cans. I've not used any of those red cans yet. Are they lacquer as well?

Yes it is a lacquer. It's part of their line of auto touch up paints that most car parts stores sell. I've never had a problem with it but another poster did. Like all paints, proceed with caution until you learn what to expect from it.