Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon Short Cuts spray paint.

I know, I should just buy an airbrush already, and I won’t have this problem, BUT, I was looking for a paint close to resemble Fords 1964 Skylight Blue, to build Jake Kings Atwater T Bolt. I bought this can for about a buck and a half cheaper than the Testors, and Tamiya sprays. I was a bit skeptical on using it, as there is no mention on the can whether it’s an enamel, or lacquer, or acrylic. So I tested it in an old body with Tamiya white primer, then the Krylon, then Testors lacquer clear. Looks pretty good with no signs of cracking, or wrinkles. 
Has anyone tried these colors at all? They do have some nice colors that are not available in the typical model sprays. 
I can’t wait to get started on this project. 

BF01A738-F752-4608-BE25-8938CD1A2991.jpeg

577CE2E2-4A6E-4EAC-B9CF-28CF302F4029.jpeg

E13FC33E-045A-4314-9F79-E65EA8E0F545.jpeg

I too believe it's enamel similar to Testor or the old Pactra enamels. As Meat Man said, it can be polished out nicely, provided coverage is sufficient (at least three coats) and it's allowed to dry/cure fully (till it doesn't smell like paint anymore). This can take several weeks. 

It was pretty dry to the touch in about twenty minutes. 
As far as the texture, I just sprayed it on without any prepping to see how it would react to the primer and clear. 
The label only states that there is acetone, toluene, and the like. It also states “dries to the touch in 30 minutes”. 
It acts more like a lacquer, than an enamel. 

Edited by Brutalform

I haven't used the Krylon Short Cuts. But, I have used the Krylon in the larger cans. It's an acrylic paint. Pretty sure it's lacquer also. I've sprayed Testors, Tamiya and Dupli Color over it. Make sure you read the instructions on the can and check for a recoat window. The paint I've used has a recoat window of before four hours or after twenty-four. If you spray additional coats between four and twenty-four, it will wrinkle like crazy! I learned that lesson the hard way! If you want a little paler blue, look for the Ocean Breeze in the big cans. This is over gray primer with Testors Dull Cote. 

49293316027_1f0c583b0e_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, James2 said:

Available where ever Krylon paints are sold? 

Never say everywhere, but probably at most places that carry other Krylon product lines.  I've found the Short Cuts spray cans at craft stores (Michael's, Hobby Lobby) as well as at a couple of local hardware stores.  There was a Short Cuts bottled paint line, not sure if the bottled paints are still available.  

Depending on the color, some of the bottled paints were enamel but a few were lacquer.  This was noted in the fine print on the label on each bottle.  I wonder if this could be true of the spray cans also.

Sorry 'bout that. I actually called the offices at (800)457-9566 to get that info. I did bring up the fact that there isn't any mention as to whether it's enamel, lacquer or acrylic and was informed that Short Cuts aerosol paints are enamel. Also, I was told if the paint (product no. SCS-070) isn't listed in the color chart, it has been discontinued in that particular line.

Edited by SfanGoch

I'm not up on which colors are or aren't available anymore as I haven't used these paints yet.  But I'd be surprised if this line went away, because it's in several craft and hardware store chains, with little competition.  I have seen a Testors craft line with some interesting colors, in the same price range as the Krylon Short Cuts line.  But I've only seen those in a couple of stores so far.

3 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I have 2 cans of KSC036 SCS-036 Sun Yellow. It is good to know that it is enamel so I can be aware of its characteristics.

If it is indeed enamel, then it must be very forgiving, as I cleared over it with a lacquer. The clear laid down nice and smooth. Also, I’ve never had any enamel be dry to the touch in 20 minutes or so. Maybe some of the cans are enamel, maybe some are acrylic or lacquer. 

Many years ago , I painted a 1974 "GTX" (the MPC 1974 Road Runner annual in its c.2003 iteration) with the Short Cuts 'Ocean Blue' , as it was pretty close to TB3 Basin Street Blue ( colloq. , 'Petty Blue' ) . 

I recall that it was a nice aerosol paint ; sprayed nicely , laid-down smoothly , and had a very nice gloss finish (e.g. , I didn't have to clear coat it nor colour sand and / or polish it out ) .

Unfortunately , I don't have any photos of the car ( it was a birthday present --- built as a 400-powered 4-speed Road Runner , with the chassis , brake booster & master cylinder ,  and dashboard from my parts box ).

Walmart used to sell that line of paints... I miss having those cool colours as an option . 

14 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I...was informed that Short Cuts aerosol paints are enamel. 

I don't care what they call it. If it dries that fast, and comes off even faster with rubbing alcohol, it's lacquer. At least the same kind of lacquer that the old AMT and the new Testor/Model Master lacquers are. BTW, I have personal experience with at least two colors of Krylon in the full-size cans that were called "fast-drying enamel" that would also come right off with rubbing alcohol. 

I wonder if the term "lacquer" is being avoided for marketing or legal reasons? :unsure:

"Enamel" is kind of a catch-all term. I've got several bottles of inexpensive, water-based crafts paint lableled "enamel" too. But of course it's nothing like what we raised-on-Testor-PLA kids would think of as enamel. B)

Whatever it is, a quick blast followed up by a smell test will clear things up for those with a decent amount of spray can experience.  It might be a relatively "hot" enamel, as most other Krylon sprays are.  Whatever it is, these and the Testors craft sprays have some interesting looking colors that bear closer examination.

As for the old Testors "enamels", I have heard those would be more accurately described as tinted varnish.  Not sure if that is true, I'm no paint expert.

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I use some of the colors but I really like the flat black. To me it is much more of a satin black then a flat black.

I’m going to have to check that out. 
I currently use a big, orange, can of “do it best” hardware acrylic flat black. 
I mostly use Tamiya lacquers exclusively. With all of the Tamiya colors, they don’t have a flat black for some reason. 

Edited by Brutalform