Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aerovette Grand Sport

64Comet404

The model club has a kit swap, where members take an unbuilt kit, wrap it like a present, and a draw goes on to pick a kit from the pile (to be built in six months). This year, I was able to exchange the kit I “won” (AMT ‘65 Pontiac 2+2) for a Revell Aerovette. I’ve always liked the look of the car, but realized I have never seen one completed. As the silver on silver colour scheme is a bit bland, I began to think of paint jobs which would complement the car. The US racing colours have always appealed to me, so why not a Grand Sport? Some paint, engine and wheels would help in the transformation.

The test fitting displayed the first problem. As moulded, it is impossible to mount the chassis after the bumpers have been installed, and installing the bumpers after the chassis install would leave exposed seams. I decided to split the frame into three sections, which would allow me to work around this issue. I glued the front piece in before I cut it from the main chassis, so I could keep all the proper measurements intact. The next step is installing and moulding the bumpers, and figuring out further body mods (I’m considering exposed headlights, as well as some other ideas).

Stay tuned.

02AF6E0E-C518-4E5A-806F-F8BEDFB79AED.jpeg

66A0F9C0-8ECE-477F-9DBC-F3B3061C8148.jpeg

That’s a great idea ? Ken! It’s always interesting to see a different version/scheme of a car were are used to seeing in one colour, silver in this case. Be following your build, as I’m a fanatic about Vettes. Cheers Misha

I look forward to seeing you do something different with this car. I've always wanted to build a second one but always thought I'd just end up creating an Aerovette but in a different colour. I had the same problem as you did with the chassis but I cut it into only two pieces and fitted it that way. I've always wondered why Revell put out that model which on the surface should not have had that much sales appeal but read somewhere that someone fairly high up was a real fan of the car. Whatever the reason I'm glad the kit came out and I still have a couple in the stash. I hope your build will inspire me to try something different with one.

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Um.... I just built this, did you search before posting?   Aerovette by Revell/Monogram and  Revell's Aerovette concept car

No, I have to admit I didn't do a search before posting. However, for a kit that was released over twenty years ago, and has been reissued at least once, I think there should be a lot more completed builds than I have seen. I did like your build, great colour choice.

This one is on my hit parade too. I'll be following your lead I'm sure.

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I love the idea of that kit-swap thing!  What a cool initiative!

My club did this. It didn't go over so well. Some members used it as a way to get rid of lousy kits. There were some upset people.

4 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

No, I have to admit I didn't do a search before posting. However, for a kit that was released over twenty years ago, and has been reissued at least once, I think there should be a lot more completed builds than I have seen. I did like your build, great colour choice.

Had to ask, I've overlooked searching prior to posting too. ?  I was surprised too how few are built on this forum.  It could use a bunch of scratch-built improvements, if you really are doing a Grand Sport version with a modern engine, that would be wicked cool!  Careful with air cleaner to window clearance, there isn't any.  And thanks, it was a last second decision on which nail 'polish' to use.

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Ohh bummer :(  Pity people can’t stay in the spirit of a thing like that 

We do get some, hmmm, less desirable kits sometimes, but it isn’t like everyone is getting a Palmer kit. For our club, the rules are that the kit must be complete and unbuilt, and that participants who do not finish their kit have to bring back an unbuilt kit. That kit then becomes a donation for the door prizes/silent auction items for our annual contest. Sometimes the greatest fun is seeing what people build from these turds, and there have been some highly polished turds that have appeared on the table. As I mentioned earlier, I exchanged a ‘65 Pontiac 2+2 for the Aerovette, and the 2+2 has to be one of the worst retools out there. I’m looking forward to seeing what someone does with THAT kit!!!