Model Cars Magazine Forum
StevenGuthmiller

Wheel Arch Molding Foiling Tutorial

Thank you so much for this! The blue painters tape is a great idea and I will use it next time I foil!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:13 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

You may possibly have good luck with Molotow ink, but the question still remains on durability.

I have models that I built 30 years ago with BMF and they look exactly the same as the day they were finished.

I would be interested to see some done with Molotow 30 years from now to see how well they have held up.

Until then, I will use BMF for everything that is possible to use it on.

Steve

I agree. I have not seen one model with Molotow that comes close to the effect you have with BMF.

Everybody has different standards and I have seen many models built with painted trim - rarely, it looks good. Mostly it looks good enough. Sometimes, well...

Your trim, however, looks like metal trim on a real car.

3 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I agree. I have not seen one model with Molotow that comes close to the effect you have with BMF.

Everybody has different standards and I have seen many models built with painted trim - rarely, it looks good. Mostly it looks good enough. Sometimes, well...

Your trim, however, looks like metal trim on a real car.

I appreciate that Eric.

I feel like the rare and unusual kits that I've been building over the past few years deserve the best, and I see no reason to start taking short cuts using untested substances, when a tried and true material like BMF exists.

Steve

Awesome tutorial, Steve. Thanks for posting it. My traditional way of dealing with foiling, rather embarrassingly, has just been to avoid it altogether.

Why didn't I think of this.  Great idea and presentation.  Thank you.

Awesome technique ...... but I have one question ... how do you foil the window trim ? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Metalmad said:

Awesome technique ...... but I have one question ... how do you foil the window trim ? 

Exactly the same technique as with the wheel arches.

Using blue painters tape as a guide.

Once you get used to this technique, you'll get perfectly straight edges every time, even if the trim edges are not very defined.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I have seen this only now... Great tutorial, many thanks, Steve! I wouldn't say that I have been struggling with BMF before, but this might take my work to a higher level. Especially, when it comes to difficult arches, curves etc.

I don't use regular #11 blade when working with Bare Metal Foil. I use those extremely sharp Z-Series #11 blades (with the gold blades). You can find them at Walmart in the crafts section or any craft store - Michael's , Hobby Lobby, etc...

On 9/18/2020 at 5:19 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

I don't use regular #11 blade when working with Bare Metal Foil. I use those extremely sharp Z-Series #11 blades (with the gold blades). You can find them at Walmart in the crafts section or any craft store - Michael's , Hobby Lobby, etc...

Scalpels also work well. They are extremely sharp, and have very fine tip.

Steve,

Good tutorial. I have a old '58 Corvette build that I will try this technique on. I am just now learning BMF and this will come in handy.

Edited by Joe Heveran