Model Cars Magazine Forum

How about your favorite cereal ?

NYLIBUD

12 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Anybody else remember the variety packs that had markings on the back that showed you where to cut.  

In the late 60's I went on a school field trip to Kelloggs in Battle Creek , Michigan . They took us on tour of the whole operation from beginning to end . At the end of the tour every kid got a 12 box variety pack , those were the little box's that could double as a bowl .

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Dam no body else goes for the good ole Flintstones.Fruity Pebbles won a cereal competition for like 5 years in a row.But to each his own,and whatever makes you happy and makes you smile.I feel like the cereal preacher.Lol.

Ron if you like rice crispy treat when you make them mix them half with Fruity Pebbles and half rice crispy.  They are awesome. 

2 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Ron if you like rice crispy treat when you make them mix them half with Fruity Pebbles and half rice crispy.  They are awesome. 

Oh yes,I have done that,extra specially good with Fruity ,and Cocoa Pebbles,either one.But thanks for the idea.?

Half-and half mix of Cracklin' Oat Bran and Total with 2% milk.

When I was a kid I had my share of Post cereals thanks to Linus the Lionhearted on TV - every character promoted a different cereal (which eventually brought the FCC down on Post and the network :wacko:).

Later, I would be specific in telling folks "I like the cereal Quake but I like the character Quisp." Quake tasted like Cap'n Crunch but was less likely to cut your mouth; Quisp got soggy way faster.

Early '70s I really liked the taste of Team Flakes; now long gone.

Now if you really want to dig into your cereal, take a look at the webcomic Breakfast of the Gods (saved on archive.org):

https://web.archive.org/web/20120505174327/http://breakfastofthegods.com/breakfast-of-the-gods-book-1/book-one-page-1

Okay, you kids of the '60s, help me out remembering some cereal premiums here. 

In 1966, one cereal had about a 1/64 scale plastic Mustang in the box. There were convertibles, hardtops, and fastbacks, and they came in red, light yellow, and light blue, thus a "complete collection" was 9 cars. I tried to get them all but don't think I ever did. I remember being SO disappointed to get YET ANOTHER light blue convertible. :angry: The next year the premium was a 1967 Cougar. What cereal was this? 

Somewhere in the 1963-65 frame, one cereal would have a comic book on the back of the box. It wasn't an actual comic book but kinda like one. You had to pull off a cardboard tab and then the book would open. They changed the book often but every now and then I'd get one I'd seen before. What was the cereal and what were the books about? 

Also somewhere in the 1963-65 frame, one cereal offered WWII airplanes. These weren't on or in the box; you had to mail in a quarter or something for a pair of two of them. There were either three or four different sets and I think I had most if not all of them. The airplanes were printed on heavy card stock and you had to cut them out and put them together and you put a penny or a couple pennies or a nickel in the nose for weight and they'd actually fly, kind of. I'm trying to remember the airplanes. I'm pretty sure there was a Japanese Zero and a German FW 190 and there was something with red Russian stars on it, that might have been a P-39. I think there was a Spitfire and a P-40 too. I'd LOVE to see these again, and I can't find them anywhere, even a picture. I remember my Dad saying he had these in WWII. I've seen the WWII ones, you can readily buy repros of those. They were different. The WWII ones were smaller, about 1/72 scale, and not as colorful. The '60s ones were bigger, about 1/48 scale, and printed in full color. Anybody remember these? What cereal offered them? I'm thinking it was General MIlls cereals for some reason. 

Somebody, somewhere has to remember this stuff! :unsure:

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Half-and half mix of Cracklin' Oat Bran and Total with 2% milk.

When I was a kid I had my share of Post cereals thanks to Linus the Lionhearted on TV - every character promoted a different cereal (which eventually brought the FCC down on Post and the network :wacko:).

Later, I would be specific in telling folks "I like the cereal Quake but I like the character Quisp." Quake tasted like Cap'n Crunch but was less likely to cut your mouth; Quisp got soggy way faster.

Early '70s I really liked the taste of Team Flakes; now long gone.

Now if you really want to dig into your cereal, take a look at the webcomic Breakfast of the Gods (saved on archive.org):

https://web.archive.org/web/20120505174327/http://breakfastofthegods.com/breakfast-of-the-gods-book-1/book-one-page-1

Many post cereals ar not around the ones I remember is Quisp,Frank N berry, and Count Chacula...

6 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I hate to say this,I like Rice Crispys,but they have to be loaded with sugar,and a banana.Same with Corn Flakes.And imo,u must use whole regular milk...Lmao

When I was a kid we milked two cows every day.  We had so much milk we gave the extra to the chickens.  The deal with that kind of milk was that it wasn't nominated. We kept it in the fridge in bottles.  When it sat, the heavy cream would rise to the top.  If you were going to drink it, you had to shake it up before your poured or you would get a glass of cream which wasn't good.  However, pour it over your cornflakes and the cream would stick to the flakes and then add sugar and the sugar stuck to the flake as well and that was just killer yummy!  I still do that to this day.  Corn flakes with a little heavy cream drizzled over the top.  Sprinkle the sugar on and the 2%milk.  Just like when I was a kid.  

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Okay, you kids of the '60s, help me out remembering some cereal premiums here. 

In 1966, one cereal had about a 1/64 scale plastic Mustang in the box. There were convertibles, hardtops, and fastbacks, and they came in red, light yellow, and light blue, thus a "complete collection" was 9 cars. I tried to get them all but don't think I ever did. I remember being SO disappointed to get YET ANOTHER light blue convertible. :angry: The next year the premium was a 1967 Cougar. What cereal was this? 

Somewhere in the 1963-65 frame, one cereal would have a comic book on the back of the box. It wasn't an actual comic book but kinda like one. You had to pull off a cardboard tab and then the book would open. They changed the book often but every now and then I'd get one I'd seen before. What was the cereal and what were the books about? 

Also somewhere in the 1963-65 frame, one cereal offered WWII airplanes. These weren't on or in the box; you had to mail in a quarter or something for a pair of two of them. There were either three or four different sets and I think I had most if not all of them. The airplanes were printed on heavy card stock and you had to cut them out and put them together and you put a penny or a couple pennies or a nickel in the nose for weight and they'd actually fly, kind of. I'm trying to remember the airplanes. I'm pretty sure there was a Japanese Zero and a German FW 190 and there was something with red Russian stars on it, that might have been a P-39. I think there was a Spitfire and a P-40 too. I'd LOVE to see these again, and I can't find them anywhere, even a picture. I remember my Dad saying he had these in WWII. I've seen the WWII ones, you can readily buy repros of those. They were different. The WWII ones were smaller, about 1/72 scale, and not as colorful. The '60s ones were bigger, about 1/48 scale, and printed in full color. Anybody remember these? What cereal offered them? I'm thinking it was General MIlls cereals for some reason. 

Somebody, somewhere has to remember this stuff! :unsure:

I don't remember those but I do know that Post cereals had a scuba diver included in the box, that had a little container at the bottom of one foot.  You put baking soda in that and dropped it in water and it would rise and sink.  I thought it was pretty cool. They also had a deal that you send in so many box tops and they would send a little submarine that did the same thing.  I had an old aquarium that was full of divers and one sub.  I use to watch them for hours.  That was before we got TV. 

Back in the day I liked Puffa Puffa Rice. Several years ago Wheaties came out with a cereal that had a few other ingredients added to Wheaties and a bit of brown sugar I believe. It was very good and then disappeared after a short time.

Used to like Corn Pops and Alpha-Bits but these days I only eat healthier cereal usually with a decent amount of fiber.

I had one of those submarines. Lots of fun. Didn't take much to amuse myself back then.

Never have had a real taste for many of the pre-sweetened or flavored cereals.  My favorite is plain old Corn Flakes with a banana, some strawberries, or peach slices over the top.  I do like Cheerios, favorite is the Multi-grain, although I will eat some of the Honey Nut on occasion.  I will eat Raisin Bran only when I need the  "Drano effect"; yeah, I know TMI.

I do remember a mail-in two box tops and $.10 for a set of four fire-trucks.. Really disappointed when they arrived.  They were about 1.5 to 2 inches long, made of red hollow plastic and the wheels were molded to the side.  Of course I would like tho have them now, they would probably be worth much more than that. 

Unsweetened, or very low sweetness. Cheerios, corn flakes etc. in warm weather, oatmeal in the cold. Add fresh fruit or berries. Maple syrple, cinnamon and raisins are good on oatmeal too, if I just have to have something sweeter.

But for me, a small high protein breakfast works better at maintaining my energy through the morning. One egg, and a small bagel with cream cheese, or an egg, a little meat, and whole grain toast.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:32 AM, Snake45 said:

Got bored yesterday and Google-Fu'ed this down. I found pics of a set of the airplanes that looked just like the ones I remember, and they take coins in the nose, so that must be them. They're called True-Flight. Thing is, the ones I saw were on an auction site and dated to WWII, not the '60s, so maybe my Dad DID have the same ones! High bid on the complete set was $100, with another $100 "buyer's premium," YIKES! :o

On 3/27/2020 at 7:32 AM, Snake45 said:

Probably this one - Twinkles?

https://www.mrbreakfast.com/cereal_detail.asp?id=380