Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 Mazda MX-5 Miata NA BRG Edition

For the longest time I wanted to do a NA Miata, but couldn't find the time - not seems like as good of a time as ever!

49865367012_d92285ce51_b.jpg

The kit is good old Tamiya 24085  - pretty old kit as Tamiya made it right after the car release in 1989 - this will be a JDM version, so RHD.

49865366717_4192530d98_b.jpg

Curbside, but good detail.

49865056171_d804fd742f_b.jpg

Plan is to build mostly box stock, but maybe will add a few bits here and there.

49865056071_6a58d947b8_b.jpg

This will represent a BRG edition car, with saddle interior - similar to this:

49871690416_cc1d4c5e6a_b.jpg

56 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

Great color selection. Eventually I want to build and paint both BRG this Tamiya Miata and a Fujimi Lotus Elan for what I think would be an interesting juxtaposition comparison. 

I agree about the color selection.  The Miata has always been one of my most favorite cars on earth.  I will look forward to watching this  come together. 

Great to see you build this one Alex. My brother had a 1:1 of these in BRG, but with black interior IRC. What a hoot to drive! I've got this Tamiya sitting in my stash, but have not got round to it yet.

No doubt, you'll treat us to another super-clean build. I'll be watching.

18 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Looking forward to seeing you build this, I've had one in the stash for years, I really need to get it built

Yup, I was in the same situation - need to use this stay at home time to make a dent in the stash!

16 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

This is a great kit! I built one last year.

You've picked my other favorite NA Miata color (along with Mariner Blue). The BRG definitely looks classier!

Ben

Thanks Ben! Hopefully I can make it justice!

15 hours ago, CabDriver said:

LOVE Miatas!  First one I ever drove was BRG with a tan interior - and I wanted one from the minute I drove it!  

And one of my favorite builders building one?  I’m in! ???

Haha, thanks man.

15 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Great color selection. Eventually I want to build and paint both BRG this Tamiya Miata and a Fujimi Lotus Elan for what I think would be an interesting juxtaposition comparison. 

That is a great idea!

14 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I agree about the color selection.  The Miata has always been one of my most favorite cars on earth.  I will look forward to watching this  come together. 

Thank you!

9 hours ago, beeRS said:

Great to see you build this one Alex. My brother had a 1:1 of these in BRG, but with black interior IRC. What a hoot to drive! I've got this Tamiya sitting in my stash, but have not got round to it yet.

No doubt, you'll treat us to another super-clean build. I'll be watching.

Thanks. I'll have an update on this one pretty soon - its ready for color!

16 hours ago, kelson said:

I think everyone who has this kit in there stash wants to paint it BRG!,i have a couple and that's my plan as well.?

I have done two, one in red over black and the other Merlot Mica ('95 M-edition) with tan (both cars I have owned in 1:1). I still want to add one in black over red, '93 SE, and of course the '91 SE in BRG. I look forward to seeing how this comes out. 

On 5/9/2020 at 6:56 PM, kelson said:

I think everyone who has this kit in there stash wants to paint it BRG!,i have a couple and that's my plan as well.?

Haha, probably!

9 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I have done two, one in red over black and the other Merlot Mica ('95 M-edition) with tan (both cars I have owned in 1:1). I still want to add one in black over red, '93 SE, and of course the '91 SE in BRG. I look forward to seeing how this comes out. 

Thank you!

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I built that years ago, in fact started many years ago and it languished.  Another case of getting in over my head, because I stuffed a V8 into The Monster Miata.  Fun subject, top notch quality Tamiya.  I know you will do it justice!

Thanks man!

I have a small update - body was cleaned up and everything primered.

49871893027_5340a38691_b.jpgIMG_1424 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

I also re-scribed all panel lines, and for such a small car there was a lot!

49871892902_940eb7fa25_b.jpgIMG_1426 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49871892842_bbb17550ba_b.jpgIMG_1427 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49871892787_2409996783_b.jpgIMG_1428 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49871581496_ece8baf5c8_b.jpgIMG_1429 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Painted with Tamiya TS-9 decanted and sprayed with an airbrush. Cleared with 2K.

49871581471_b49e806f07_b.jpgIMG_1449 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49871581401_f8e18318e3_b.jpgIMG_1450 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49871892562_c1b19945e9_b.jpgIMG_1451 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Also painted the hardtop.

49871581306_abe49d7be1_b.jpgIMG_1453 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49871581221_3fe70f35e2_b.jpgIMG_1457 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49871051963_c85fa5ddcb_b.jpgIMG_4647 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

46 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Beautiful work so far!  

I really wish Tamiya had included a pop-up headlamp option for this kit - the pop ups are one of the best things about this car!

Looks great anyway - very impressive work as always!

I hear you that the pop ups are neat but I have always thought the car looked a little like a frog when they were open. The same goes for a Cord 810.

Edited by Eric Macleod
Typo

I love the color and the super shiny paint!

I agree with Eric that when the headlights are up, the car looks strange. I guess froglike is a good description. They probably ruin its aerodynamics too.

My GF owned a Miata before I met her.  The M-edition, Merlot Mica paint, BBS wheels, and tan leather interior.  I promised to build a model of her car. That was about 20 years ago, and the modal is barely started.  I had good intentions.  I bought the paint, found the BBS wheels, and even eteched the emblems in nickel silver.  But then the projects stalled.  I have too many started projects, and I must have a bit of AD, becuase "oh look, a new kit - gotta start that one" syndrome.

I like the body lines on the Tamiya kit better than the Revell Miata. But the Revell kit has full engine details.  Who knows, I might do a kitbash of the Tamiya and Revell to have a full-engine Tamiya model.

Dang, paint job is awesome.  Just about every car with pop-up headlights look dumb when opened.  Many aftermarket headlights for these cars using the projector headlights.  Heck, a ton of aftermarket things, you would never finish another project if taking that road. ?

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Beautiful work so far!  

I really wish Tamiya had included a pop-up headlamp option for this kit - the pop ups are one of the best things about this car!

Looks great anyway - very impressive work as always!

Thank you! I'm not a big fan of pop-ups on this particular car, they do look like a lot of headlights on small cars - out of place when open - but that is the sacrifice you are willing to take for the look of the car when they are lowered. 

8 hours ago, beeRS said:

That 2k gloss is amazing.

It does shine!

8 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I hear you that the pop ups are neat but I have always thought the car looked a little like a frog when they were open. The same goes for a Cord 810.

In a true spirit of Elise!

6 hours ago, peteski said:

I agree with Eric that when the headlights are up, the car looks strange. I guess froglike is a good description. They probably ruin its aerodynamics too.

My GF owned a Miata before I met her.  The M-edition, Merlot Mica paint, BBS wheels, and tan leather interior.  I promised to build a model of her car. That was about 20 years ago, and the modal is barely started.  I had good intentions.  I bought the paint, found the BBS wheels, and even eteched the emblems in nickel silver.  But then the projects stalled.  I have too many started projects, and I must have a bit of AD, becuase "oh look, a new kit - gotta start that one" syndrome.

I like the body lines on the Tamiya kit better than the Revell Miata. But the Revell kit has full engine details.  Who knows, I might do a kitbash of the Tamiya and Revell to have a full-engine Tamiya model.

Thanks! Miata is not the car I would spend time kit-bashing or even build full detail on. As a quickie curbside build it fits the bill perfectly, though.

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Dang, paint job is awesome.  Just about every car with pop-up headlights look dumb when opened.  Many aftermarket headlights for these cars using the projector headlights.  Heck, a ton of aftermarket things, you would never finish another project if taking that road. ?

True that! Thank you.

17 hours ago, peteski said:

My third Miata was a '95 Merlot M-Ed. I bought it used from a dealership in Ohio. It had been traded in by a single woman bought it new and who traded it in. It would be strange it was the same car.

I agree with the others; the BRG paint looks absolutely beautiful.  

3 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

My third Miata was a '95 Merlot M-Ed. I bought it used from a dealership in Ohio. It had been traded in by a single woman bought it new and who traded it in. It would be strange it was the same car.

Her was in New Hampshire.  It wold have been around 1995 or 96.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:44 AM, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint. The first thing I noticed early on the sharp body and panel lines. For not having an engine the chassis engine detail is really well done on this. 

Thank you. I agree, chassis plate is very nicely done.

15 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Beautiful paint job!

Ben

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

It was a good choice for color!

I have a small update - the body was masked off and moldings were painted satin black:

49884572731_d889104a05_b.jpgIMG_1540 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Since it was all masked, painted inside the shell as well:

49884047313_0da7e59030_b.jpgIMG_1542 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49884881802_af458fbf8f_b.jpgDSC_0892 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Did the panel lines, polished the paint - now it shines properly!

49884881847_fe31af1fe3_b.jpgDSC_0890 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49884573406_4c6d9f4a33_b.jpgDSC_0888 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Painted small chassis and suspension bits in their base colors:

49884881432_b3b025fc5d_b.jpgIMG_1535 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Then detail-painted and washed everything:

49884047278_46bda758a1_b.jpgIMG_1546 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Assembled front and rear suspensions:

49884573066_1335b65d49_b.jpgDSC_0897 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49884573026_b4bf80a13f_b.jpgDSC_0899 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

And the chassis is ready:

49884881722_e982e321e2_b.jpgDSC_0895 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49884572946_2a90d5e9c8_b.jpgDSC_0901 by Italian Horses, on Flickr