Model Cars Magazine Forum

POSTING PICTURES

6 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

You guys have been talking about resizing photos.  Never thought to do that.  I just upload from where it says choose files and bring them in.  Let me know if you think they should be smaller.  I've tried to keep them large enough to see what is going on.

I took a look at one of your recent photos posted.

P1040574.JPG

It is only 640 pixels across. IMO, that is fine for the forum (actually on the small side). No need to make them any smaller.  I usually make mine 1024 pixels across (almost twice the size of yours).   No need to resize yours.  I think the problem is when members upload photos that are much larger like 2000, 3000, or even larger.  I feel that there is no need for such high resolution to be used in forum posts viewed on a computer screen or even on small smart-phone screen. Plus, smaller photos take up less storage space on the forum, and load faster.

If you don't resize yours, what camera or phone are you using to get them that small?

Also, instead of using the "choose files" menu,there is even easier way. Just drag the photos from the Windows explorer window showing the photos into the area under text compose window (same area where you click "choose files").  You can hold down control key while selecting the photos in the Windows explorer, then drop them into the attach area to do multiple photos at a time.  Of course if you aren't using Microsoft Windows, then the process might be different.

You guys have been talking about resizing photos.  Never thought to do that.  I just upload from where it says choose files and bring them in.  Let me know if you think they should be smaller.  I've tried to keep them large enough to see what is going on.

Peter:  That photo is not mine.  Check out either the Pierce Enforcer project in WIP or the Sterling project.  Those would be the sizes I bring in.

12 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Peter:  That photo is not mine.  Check out either the Pierce Enforcer project in WIP or the Sterling project.  Those would be the sizes I bring in.

Oops!  Have to pay better attention.

Here is one of yours.  At less than 1500 pixels across (and file size 115kB) IMO it is still reasonable.  Like I mentioned, some people post photos that are huge (sometimes couple of MB in size). That seems excessive to me.

014.JPG

I like to crop my photos to focus on the subject, and tey to make them less than 1200 pixels across.  In the above example, I would have cropped the photo to eliminate most of the background.  Yes, that takes some time, but I don't mind.  But then I'm not as prolific as you are.

Edited by peteski

The board software will resize the photos down for display. We used to have limits on the size of photos you could post, but I removed those a few years ago to make it easier to post pictures to the board itself. That has some ramifications that y'all don't see, but it's manageable. But, you should be able to see the full detail when you go view the photo at full size. 

On 10/4/2020 at 1:46 AM, leafsprings said:

I'm having trouble using a photo for my avitar. Rejects my photo and says it needs to be 150x150

I never have been able to get an avatar to load. I always get an "add url" message after I paste the url in the box.

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I never have been able to get an avatar to load. I always get an "add url" message after I paste the url in the box.

I haven't tried uploading from a URL. Are you able to just straight upload the picture? Also the size limit for avatars is pretty low. Is the source image under 150 pixels on a side?

3 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I haven't tried uploading from a URL. Are you able to just straight upload the picture? Also the size limit for avatars is pretty low. Is the source image under 150 pixels on a side?

I'll try a straight upload and see if it works.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Can't do a straight upload either. Can't resize the photo. This is the only forum I've had an issue with using a URL for an avatar. 

Roger, can't you download the photo you want from the URL to your computer, resize and upload to the forum?  Or are you a smart-phone-only user?

21 minutes ago, peteski said:

Roger, can't you download the photo you want from the URL to your computer, resize and upload to the forum?  Or are you a smart-phone-only user?

No. My photo is both in my Flickr account and on my tablet. I can't resize on either. 

1 minute ago, Plowboy said:

No. My photo is both in my Flickr account and on my tablet. I can't resize on either. 

I should have phrased my question different: are you on a personal computer ( Windows PC or Apple Mac), or on a smart-device (phone iPad).  Well, you answered my question.  There are probably iPad apps to edit photos, but I'm not  in the know on those.  I use a good-old Windows PC, and can easily manipulate photos.

21 minutes ago, peteski said:

I should have phrased my question different: are you on a personal computer ( Windows PC or Apple Mac), or on a smart-device (phone iPad).  Well, you answered my question.  There are probably iPad apps to edit photos, but I'm not  in the know on those.  I use a good-old Windows PC, and can easily manipulate photos.

I haven't had a PC for over three years. Don't like the wires mess and the room it took up. I have a laptop that I never use and a little seven inch tablet that I always use. I take my photos with it, lay it next to the bench and I can stick it in my back pocket. I may be able to do something with the photo on my laptop.

You can resize and crop your photos right on the iPhone. Look at any photo on your phone. In the upper right corner click on “EDIT” and that will bring up your edit options.  In the bottom right option, it looks like a square with two quarter arch’s with arrows on them... that will allow you to crop your photo and adject angle. In upper left corner are the buttons for flip and rotate.  

When you go to upload to the board, there’s a line at bottom to resize..  

On 10/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, Plowboy said:

I don't have an IPhone or cell of any type. I carried one for years. Once I got away from it, I vowed never again. Haven't had one since '08.

We are trying to help you Roger.  We don't know what type of tablet you own. Whatever it is, do a Google search for "photo editing app for XXXXXXX tablet" where XXXXXX is the brand of your tablet.  I expect you'll find some useful apps.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

We are trying to help you Roger.  We don't know what type of tablet you own. Whatever it is, do a Google search for "photo editing app for XXXXXXX tablet" where XXXXXX is the brand of your tablet.  I expect you'll find some useful apps.

I appreciate it Peter! But, as I told Les (who offered to resize a photo for me), an avatar isn't a big deal to me. I just thought I'd give it another try. 

59 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I appreciate it Peter! But, as I told Les (who offered to resize a photo for me), an avatar isn't a big deal to me. I just thought I'd give it another try. 

Still, wouldn't it be useful to install an app which would allow you to edit/resize photos?  It might come in handy for things other than creating a small avatar photo.